Another glowing Billy D article

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by oragator1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    This is what drives Nole basketball fans absolutely insane. They can't stand it that they get mediocre coaching at best, no matter who they hire, and that we have the best in the business. They perennially charge that Florida always miraculously gets a cakewalk in the NCAA tournament. The few smart ones over there point out that when you keep doing it, it's not a fluke.
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    Seeing Billy talk about coaching here for a long time (kinda) makes me happy. I was thinking the other day that it would be awesome if Billy coached here for another 10-15 years and while he does that he teaches little Billy the ropes and takes over for his dad when he is ready to retire.
  4. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Great article, thanks for posting.
    Love BillyD.
  5. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    Just My opinion, Billy Donovan is the best coach Florida has ever had in any sports, yes even better than SOS in Football.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FranceGator

FranceGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Well, just as a minor nit, Mary Wise has had a two decade run that is mind-blowing.

It's been funny watching people in the football forum that are so mad about the football coach that they need to then diminish Foley. And to diminish Foley, a tiny number then need to diminish Billy. I could paste some exact quotes that are head-scratching to say the least.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Good call on Wise, France. The primary difference (I imagine) is that in volleyball recruiting is far more regional, whereas basketball is national, which in turn means the programs with higher visibility are at a decided advantage over those without it. But Donovan has overcome that, really from his first "real" class going forward (1999: Miller, Dupay, Haslem, Halton).

Great article at any rate. Donovan is the rare coach who is forthright and honest about his team and the game, yet at the same time very analytic and thoughtful. I have learned more about hoops listening to his interviews this past decade than I ever dreamed of knowing.
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. tcmba

tcmba Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I think Wise needs a couple of national championships before she will be comparable to Billy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    How BD is adored for being a basketball coach at a football school, Mary has done the same thing inside a conference that is a 2nd tier conf. (think of if UCF was playing for the championship, or in the BSC every year).

Vball recruiting is just as National as Basketball, if not more. The great coaches, at their prospective schools NEVER leave, players don't leave early either. Bu the level of play at the regional level differs so much state to state. Cali, Texas, Chicago dominate the club vball scene. Bishop Moore In Orlando last year, was the "mythical National HS champ" Only 1 girl from that team stayed in-state.
  10. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Nice article - thanks for posting.
  11. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Great article. I really liked the part about having to start over after the two NCs. Too bad Urban didn't talk to Billy about that. Or maybe he did . . .
  12. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    I think Billy now has the respect he well deserves and the program to the point where will be a force in college basketball year in year out. Oh my what fun to come, I just hope the Gainesville/student fan base will realize we have an elite program and give it the support to help it sustain.
    • Like Like x 1