Another glitch in healthcare.gov

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Mar 21, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,774
    http://www.philly.com/philly/health...bamacare_Marketplace_that_no_one_noticed.html

from the article:

Nearly six months after the disastrous launch of Healthcare.gov, with the website running smoothly and more than five million people signed up as open enrollment heads to a close, a new glitch has come to light: Incorrect poverty-level guidelines are automatically telling what could be tens of thousands of eligible people they do not qualify for subsidized insurance.

The error in the federal marketplace primarily affects households with incomes just above the poverty line in states like Pennsylvania that have not expanded Medicaid. The mistake raises the price of their insurance by thousands of dollars, making insurance so unaffordable many may just give up and go without.

The error, which The Inquirer discovered while running scores of income scenarios through Healthcare.gov, again raises questions about the site's accuracy that made daily headlines in early winter and that have cost President Obama considerable political capital.

It also highlights what some public policy experts say is a troubling lack of transparency in the marketplace's eligibility determinations.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,774
    here is more on the subject:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...althcaregov-error-giving-bad-info-on-premium/

Because of the glitch, some people may be initially told they qualify for subsidies when they don't. Others may be told they don't qualify when they do.

It's unclear how many people have been affected, but the mistake raises the possibility that thousands are giving up the hunt for insurance after being told, inaccurately, that they don't qualify for government aid.

"It's just another one of those, 'Why did they do that?'" Robert Laszewski, president of Health Policy and Strategy Associates, told the Inquirer.

HealthCare.gov, and some of the state-run sites, were marred by technical problems after they launched last October. Many of those problems have been addressed, but the Inquirer report shows that glitches are still being rooted out.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services reportedly plans to fix the newly discovered problem with the income calculator. A spokesman told the newspaper there is a "small difference" but "we will change this tool for clarity."
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    This is crazy-a$$ $h!t.

And how on Earth can the SCOTUS allow this commie to continually gerrymander that extortion law?
  4. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,535
  5. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,179
    These massive screwups are only serving to divert attention from how dreadful the law is for 98% of the population. For most people that do not have "employer-provided" health insurance and do not qualify for massive government subsidies, the law hurts them more than it helps them. It forces them to pay high premiums AND pay high medical bills until the high deductible is met before they get ANY benefit from the insurance. Those who qualify for subsidies only have it slightly better than those who don't: they just have to pay high medical bills until the high deductible is met before they get ANY benefit from the insurance. It will be interesting to see when they start tracking "Obamacare Bankruptcies".

For the republicans to come up with a better plan, it wouldn't be that difficult. Almost everyone agrees that having a serious medical condition should not prevent you from getting insurance, so the insurance companies should not be allowed to cancel policies for pre-existing conditions (and should therefore raise rates on all to pay for those who do have serious conditions). Cancel Obamacare, and allow insurance companies to do their thing under the new requirements. Use the savings from cancelling Obamacare to open low-cost clinics (staffed mostly with nurses and a doctor to consult) next to Emergency Rooms. Enact tort reform to reduce defensive medicine practices. Increase co-pays on seniors for Medicare so they become more cost-conscious health-care consumers.
  6. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,535
    I guess I still don't understand the preexisting condition thing, because quite a few of you know my health issues and I've never had an issue with either getting coverage or getting dropped...and it's been through different companies, employers, FL/NY, etc. So obviously there have to be some insurers out there who weren't dropping people/denying people completely.

This is going to be such a disaster there may not be recovering from it...and by the time supporters finally cave and say "yeah, you're right", it'll be too late.
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    Is identity theft of poor people the next big thing?
  8. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    Employer group health wasn't subject to pre-ex, just individual coverage.

However, a small group could be dropped if unhealthy enough.
  9. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,535
    As I had shared earlier, at one point I did have individual versus group, and I was able to get insurance and keep it. This was before I had a job that offered coverage and prior to my husband graduating and getting a job that offered employer insurance. Again, my thought on that was that I've never had a lapse. I went straight from my parents' policy to purchasing my own, then to an employer one, etc. And even when younger I had quite a few health issues.

Now you're talking about a "small group" that "could be dropped if unhealthy enough." I thought this unfortunate group was a large group and that's one of the reasons we "needed" the ACA? :rolleyes:
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Gerrymander?
    • Boring Boring x 1
  11. kong

kong New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Thank you for your insightful post. Into the right-wing mindset, of course, and not into the Affordable Care Act.

Your post can be effectively summed up in a single sentence though : "I've got mine, so what's the problem ?"

The lack of empathy for this "small group" and the others in the actual large group of uninsured is noteworthy. But sadly pretty standard fare from the right.

What is also noteworthy is that, despite the fact that pre-ACA the United States insured about 90% of its populace while spending appx 17% of GDP on healthcare - while most industrialized nations on average insure close to 100% while spending 10% of GDP. In other words, we get 90% of the coverage at a net price-tag 70% higher. And US health-care costs have been rising at 2-3 times the rate of inflation for decades.

But again, even to "fiscally conservative" right-wingers who have proposed NOTHING in terms of health-care reform, all of this is perfectly fine because..........you've got yours.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  12. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,774
    damn blakie you just cannot give up can you
  13. kong

kong New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    That's all you got, Bill ? No facts ? No wisdom or insight ?

I know....how about if you post some drivel from a right-wing hate site, and add some meaningless and vitriolic comment about "PrezBHO".

But don't worry about sharing your personal knowledge, insight or analysis - because everyone knows by now that you have none. :)
  14. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,535
    If you got that from my post, BOY did you completely miss the point.

The point of the ACA was that allegedly no one with a preexisting condition could find insurance of any kind, affordable or otherwise, and that the evil insurance companies were dropping everyone who had preexisting conditions all over the place. That was one of THE powerful arguments about needing something like the ACA.

What I was pointing out was that in my situation, and in the situations of others such as my sister and quite a few, yes there were companies out there perfectly willing to insure people with preexisting conditions. All you had to do was look.

All of the reasons behind why healthcare costs have been skyrocketing have been discussed all over the place on this board, and since you're new, you're welcome to go back through past threads regarding the arguments over this - drug costs, regulations, illegals....whatever people wanted to put forth as a reason. Not once have I said that something didn't need to be done. But screwing such a large part of the country and putting in a worse, unsecured, unproven and underfunded system was not the way to do it. Putting in a program for the sake of putting in a program is outright irresponsible and ridiculous, and there will be more and more issues involved.

What I was correcting Fred on was his thought that I was referring to an employee policy versus one I purchased outright. What I was referring to was that, yet again, the ACA supporters are pointing to "well it's just a small group" to excuse the lies and missteps of this ACA and how it affects so many people, after having changed from "Everyone will save and it'll be fine" to "well a few are going to get screwed, but it's for the greater good".

To apply YOUR argument, as long as those who love to live off of welfare and the government as a career are getting theirs, it shouldn't matter that the working class Americans who have to pay for it get hosed, correct?

And you know absolutely ZERO about me, and if you look through my posts you'll see I'm far from a big-league right wing conservative.
  15. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,535
    And every single time one of us puts a personal or professional (for those of us in the medical field) opinion or experience, we're told that we're either lying or that it's just an "exception" and that we don't know what we're talking about.

Why don't you educate yourself and look back at old posts....unless you're a previously banned poster who is just trying to get back in through other means. In which case, if you were banned, take a hint. It was likely for a reason.
  16. kong

kong New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Your personal anecdotal "evidence" regarding pre-existing conditions is obviously fortunate for you. And just as obviously in no way commentary on our system as a whole. I guess many of those with pre-existing conditions need only..........find an entirely new career where they'll get coverage ? Or get new parents with covering policies ?

And you again offer insight into the health-care debate from the right. As you say, "something needs to be done", but that something is apparently.......absolutely nothing except constant complaining from the right ?

When the Republicans proposed their strategy of opposing Obamacare as "Repeal and Replace", they clearly actually meant "Repeal and Constantly Whine."
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    The reality is we could post a thread with Republican ideas for the healthcare system every day for all of eternity and a lot of you would still make the same claim. Republicans have come up with plenty of ideas - they may not have been high-profile, but there's plenty out there if you're really interested in the actual truth of the matter or whether you just want to keep regurgitating the same lines everyone else does. You probably won't like the ideas they have, but there are ideas nonetheless. Republicans neither have the Presidency nor the Senate, and they've floated multiple healthcare bills that could potentially and in all likelihood would have been more successful than the debacle we're involved with now - what more is there for them to do?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,535
    Again, you're picking and choosing, as I clearly stated that I had PURCHASED MY OWN POLICY after coming OFF MY PARENTS' policy and PRIOR to having a job where the employer provided coverage. You know, the same kind of independent policy people with preexisting conditions couldn't get. At all, according to ACA supporters.

I offered insight based on PERSONAL experience, and I'm a Independent. Again, you're assuming.

And if Obamacare was so fantastic, it wouldn't be constantly delayed/changed because of all the issues and the Democrats themselves seeing how idiotic the whole situation is and how they were about to be voted out. If it was so fantastic, your fearless leader wouldn't be changing it and delaying it constantly and everyone would be JUMPING at the chance to sign up.

Again, proposing and installing an idiotic "solution" for the sake of saying you did something...not smart. But, again, as long as YOUR group gets theirs, what does it matter that it screws everyone else? The wake-up calls are starting with the ACA group, by the way, and will continue as more and more of these delayed mandates take effect.
  19. gatorbronco

gatorbronco Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I always like Icequeen's posts. Well thought out and insightful, not a reposting of someone else's comments.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    And what year was that transition? If it was prior to the mid-2000s, it's completely irrelevant to current conditions in the health insurance market.