Another example of the power of the ACC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Dec 29, 2013.

1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
    gotttapanda...
    Yes... thank you!
    Check Please!....
    Fade to black and roll the credits.....
  2. Forceps

Forceps New Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    God, I hate all this conference crap
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    It's a fact. The final AP numbers are out there. Remember, since 1990, FSU played a top ten team ever year in a bowl game, Florida, Miami, at least one or two other top 25 ACC teams, and often a ranked OOC team. Since 1990:

Year---Florida----------------------------------------------FSU

1990......(3) Tenn, Auburn, FSU.............................................(4) Miami, Auburn, Florida, Penn State
    1991.......(6) Bama, Syracuse, Tenn, UGa, FSU, ND.............(6) BYU, Michigan, Syracuse, Miami, Florida, TA&M
    1992.......(6) Tenn, UGa, FSU, Bama, Miss St, NC St............(4) NC St, Miami, UNC, Nebraska
    1993.......(6) FSU, Tenn, Auburn, FSU, Bama, WVU............(6) Clemson, UNC, Miami, ND, Florida, Nebraska
    1994.......(5) Tenn, Auburn, FSU, Bama, FSU.......................(5) UVa, Miami, NC St, Florida, Florida
    1995.......(4) Tenn, Auburn, FSU, Nebraska...........................(3) Miami, Florida, Notre Dame
    1996.......(6) Tenn, LSU, Auburn, FSU, Bama, FSU............ ..(4) UNC, Miami, Florida, Florida
    1997.......(6) Tenn, LSU, Auburn, UGa, FSU, Penn St............(4) UNC, Ga Tech, Florida, Ohio State
    1998.......(4) Tenn, Georgia, FSU, Syracuse............................(6) TA&M, Miami, Ga Tech, UVa, Florida, Tenn
    1999.......(5) Tenn, Bama, FSU, Bama, Mich State.................(4) Ga Tech, Miami, Florida, VT
    2000......(8) MSU, LSU, Aub, USCe, UGA, FSU, Aub, Mia....(5) Ga Tech, Miami, Clemson, Florida, Oklahoma
    2001.......(6) LSU, Georgia, USCe, FSU, Tenn, Maryland.......(5) Miami, Maryland, Ga Tech, Florida, VT

Total......65 (5.5/year)................................................................56 (4.8/year)

FSU didn't have a conference championship game. Remove those and Florida has a 59-56 lead.

2002.......(5) Miami, Auburn, UGa, FSU, Michigan................(6) UVa, Maryland, Miami, ND, NC St, Georgia
    2003.......(7) Miami, Tenn, Ole Miss, LSU, UGa, FSU, Iowa..(5) Maryland, Miami, Clemson, Florida, Miami
    2004.......(5) Tenn, LSU, UGa, FSU, Miami.............................(2) Miami, Virginia
    2005.......(4) Bama, LSU, UGa, FSU........................................(5) Miami, BC, Florida, VT, Penn State
    2006.......(6) Tenn, Auburn, LSU, UGa, Arkansas, OSU.........(3) BC, Wake Forest, Florida
    2007.......(5) Tenn, Auburn, LSU, UGa, Michigan...................(5) Clemson, Wake, BC, VT, Florida
    2008.......(5) Ole Miss, UGa, FSU, Bama, Oklahoma..............(3) Va Tech, Ga Tech, Florida
    2009.......(3) LSU, Bama, Cincinnati.........................................(6) Miami, BYU, Ga Tech, Clemson, Florida, WVU
    2010.......(5) Bama, LSU, MSU, USCe, FSU..............................(5) Oklahoma, NC St, Maryland, VT, USCe
    2011........(5) Bama, LSU, UGa, USCe, FSU..............................(2) Oklahoma, Clemson
    2012........(7) TA&M, LSU, Vandy, USCe, UGa, FSU, L'ville....(3) Clemson, Florida, N. Illinois

Total........57 (5.2/year)...............................................................45 (4.1/year)

If someone suggested that FSU's schedule got way soft in the last three years, they are dead on; it IS soft as Hell. Miami and Florida have been struggling of late, and they haven't had that powerhouse OOC team come in, while the ACC Atlantic has generally been the weaker aside from Clemson and FSU. But traditionally, FSU's schedule has been tough.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,457
    He counted it as a loss.
  5. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Well, I guess they played more ranked teams than I remembered. I don't think I'd count the bowl games, as those are after the fact and don't really play into this argument. A better bowl game is the reward of easier scheduling/resulting higher end of regular season record.

Do you have a link to the site where you got all that info? I'd be interested to see how high in the top-25 the teams were ranked. Might not show anything different, but I'm curious all the same. There's a big difference between #3 and #23.
  6. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Cool story, bro.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    While I appreciate the time Wormwood takes to present tables, the argument is all over the map. Your original claim was that Florida is the only SEC team to have had a tougher schedule during the past 25 years and supported that by stating FSU played more top 5, 10, and 25 ranked teams. Then it changed to the teams playing the most teams with four or fewer losses, while shifting the temporal range from 25 to 15 years. Now it's since 1990 and includes all top 25 teams. None of that demonstrates that the ACC is remotely as tough as the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +354

So FSU/Clemson and Clemson/SC...I wont give any credit to UM. They were only there because of the ACC cupcake feast. We know what they actually are. So AN ENTIRE CONFERENCE has 2 match ups versus the top 15. AN ENTIRE CONFERENCE!!!! Maybe that's why people have a problem with looking at a 8, 9 or 10 win ACC team as anything other than garbage. It is inexcusable that an entire conference has two...count them two top 15 match ups. I would surmise if you play a league of garbage and beat teams that are garbage then you actually may be nothing more than garbage.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    So is
    FSU a garbage team? Just asking
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
    Thank you....
    "GIGO"
    Garbage In...
    Garbage Out....

Look... I truly do not have anything against the ACC. It is (for the most part) a collection of fine accademic schools.
    It is also, (for the most part) a highly stated basketball orientated conference.
    Summing it all up...THOSE are the facts... and they have been the facts for decades.

Only until FSU and Miami joined the ACC did this conference have some leanings toward being a stronger football orientated football conference.
    Talk to anyone who has played college ball in the SEC and those who have played in the ACC.
    Game for game... season after season... it has always been tougher to play ball in the SEC.
    Just about anyone can knock you off and the wear and tear on your body gets tougher.
    You gotta have a strong second string overall... and you got to especially have a very stong set of second string linemen.

This has been Alabama's key to success to winning games since the '60's.
    Their second and thrid string offensive linemen will beat your tired, beat up first string linemen anyday.
  11. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    boston college also playing strong right now representing the ACC well..... :rolleyes:
  12. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    BC is getting crushed by AZ. That will drop the ACC to 3-4. But 8-4 VT is hanging in there against favored 9-3 UCLA so hopefully the ACC can go 1-1 against the Pac-12 today. I love El Paso, TX the site of the Sun Bowl. I lived in El Paso, TX for 5 years. If you ever get a chance go. Super friendly people. Stop over the river and go to Juarez, MX. Sure, its dangerous but it can be really fun. Bring an AK47 and a passport.

I may have to watch the rest with the sound off because Danielson and Lundquest are just brutal. Danielson used to be really good but he needs to get away from Lundquest as fast as he can. Lundquest makes me want to find a radio to listen to this on.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    LOL. I was just going to post in the game thread how good it is to hear Gary & Verne do a game. Verne makes mistakes, but I'd call him venerable and I like his style. IMO, Danielson it the best in the business. To each his or her own.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Even All-World FSU didnt beat BC this badly. And this is Arizona.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    In defense of Clemson, they generally play two SEC teams a year; but I wish they would schedule another strong outside opponent (Pac 12, Big10, etc.) instead of a cupcake (SC ST or Citadel). ND I think will help once they start playing more ACC teams. The SEC is tough; look at the depth FL and GA has, yet the rash of injuries finally caught up with both.
  16. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    UCLA is crushing VT 28-10.
  17. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    The ACC added Syracuse and Pitt. The SEC added Texas A&M and Missouri. The SEC isn't afraid of adding powerful teams. The ACC keeps inviting more cupcakes for FSU to feast upon.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    I just can't figure what's happened to Miami since it joined the ACC. I figured they and FSU would dominate the conference. Instead, the Canes have become a second-tier ACC power and haven't even been to the ACC title game yet. It would be like UF joining C-USA and stumbling.
  19. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    Since they jumped to the acc, college sports has become more and more an arms race driven by money. They don't have that much.
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,425
    Uh huh. How's that working out?
    • Funny Funny x 3