Another "coast" to the finish?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator34654, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    It appears that we will miss on some big time recruits once again on NSD. Maybe it's me but it seems like a trend under wm. The bright side, as bad as we played last year, this is a darn good recruiting class even if we coast to the finish line.

But here's my question. Typically, UF recruits itself regardless of who the coach is. We've had very good recruiting classes with zook, um, and wm. It just seems maybe to me that wm has a rep for being a great great recruiter yet why is it year in and year out we can't close strong? We have missed a lot of big big names especially on the O side of the ball. Recruiting isn't everything, SOS was an ok recruiter but made up the difference with coaching. I am hoping our coaching will make a huge difference this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    This is a top 10 recruiting class without any more kids signing up. Sheesh.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    i think coaching up the players and offensive philosophy have been the 2 big culprits. there is talent on this squad.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    4-8 hurt way worse than some people here 'will' admit.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,386
    First of all , we lost a few guys to other schools more than expected.
    Second, because of transfers, we have a couple of more ships than expected.
    In the end, you play about 30-35 players regularly with about 45-50 waiting on the sidelines.
    So, getting a hard on for any one recruiting class is fools gold.
  6. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Looks like we might end up undersigning when almost every other school is doing the opposite, lol.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nwflgator_58

nwflgator_58 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Our president won't let us sign as many as other schools, to keep from having to run off current players. And, it's kind of silly to complain about how we closed, until you know how we closed.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    Auburn just signed to number one junior college class in the nation. I hope we fill our class with decent players. I just want a good, full, class.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    This is an urban (no pun intended) legend, which, like all urban legends, has no basis in fact. When SOS left UF, there were more ex-Gators on NFL rosters than any other school. That's not just coaching. Spurrier was, and is, an excellent recruiter. Anyone that can get the kind of talent that he does to those three absolute dumps known as a) Columbia, SC, b) The USCe campus, and c) Williams-Bruce-Fairgrounds Stadium (which is not on the campus) is an really, really good recruiter.
  10. alvarez16

alvarez16 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    People will just tell you that a top 10 class is good enough. Doesn't change the fact that WM hasn't been able to close strong for the past three years.

Yes, we have a top 10 class, but that doesn't change the fact that we could potentially miss out on top players tomorrow that would make our class even better.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    For the amount of time and effort SOS put into it... he was the best in the business overall.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. EZE2005

EZE2005 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Get ready to be very disappointed tomorrow. Not only do we strike out on the 5 stars, or our "top 3 targets," but it seems that most of our "secondary targets" or "back-up plans" are remaining with their originally planned schools. Rocel is sticking with Missouri, and apparently last I heard Mike is not interested in leaving Vandy for UF.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    This whole theory on "closing" is just silly. Since WM clearly can't close, tell me what coaches are great closers and are guaranteed to get boatloads of uncommitted talent on NSD.
  14. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Already hearing Prince to Maryland and McKinzie to UGA. At this rate I may go fishing or do something where I don't have to watch what happens
  15. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    I think we've become a basketball school.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    It's not good enough; not in the SEC, anyway. Top-10 puts you roughly in the middle of the pack down there, and it's a conference where you not only have to "fill your needs", but you've got to go above and beyond, fill it up across the board, and put a little swag on it. Otherwise you end up like South Carolina; good enough to beat anybody, but you can't get it done when you've gotta get it done. Because Spurrier continues to mock the recruiting process, his teams go to places like Knoxville and lose during a year that the Vols are down, and during a year where Spurrier supposedly had his best team. Spurrier's best team wasn't good enough to win the East, and that's who they are under Steve. Because you need more than Jadaveon Clowney, Conner Shaw and Marcus Lattimore to get a seat at the Big Kid's table. In other words, IT AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

I couldn't care less whether or not we have a "big signing day". The day means nothing to me. But if we strike out tomorrow on Harris, Prince, Carter and Jackson, then it should be disconcerting to think about the fact that we just lost out on four guys we really need. Signing day just happens to be a day where a lot of good prospects decide where they'll play ball. And we're in on several guys we need.

Programs like FSU and Alabama aren't taking the Hanukka approach to this cycle of recruiting. They've mopped the floor so far with top talent, and tomorrow they're not going to be running their mouths about who they didn't get. I hope Muschamp surprises us tomorrow, because right now it's not shaping up to be what we thought. I hope I look like an absolute moron tomorrow night.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Continuity of head coaching 'saved' this recruiting class. And on the field this fall, we'll reap the mediocrity (or worse) of that continuity.
  18. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    No he's not.
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +910
    I refuse to believe we will not get one of McKenzie, Prince, Carter, Adoree. Hopefully we have some back ups that are more likely to be successful than a Trevon Young.
  20. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    McKenzie has eliminated UGA. Champ should tell his commits to hold off until signing day to satisfy the internet geeks.
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.