Andy Katz endorses Coach Donovan as our next Olympic coach

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rtgator, Jul 9, 2013.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I thought Billy did one of his best coaching jobs ever last season. UF had a talented and veteran club but over achieved in winning the SEC and making a run to the Elite 8.

There was no sure fire NBA prospect on the roster, Boynton struggled in his SR season, there was no depth in the front court and our PG play was spotty at times. Despite all that, Billy and his staff still managed to put together another excellent season.

And the last two summers have enhanced Donovan's reputation even more and now there is no doubt that he is a great collegiate basketball coach.
  2. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +116
    Amen.

But it wasn't too long ago that vultures on this board were circling over head ready, and in fact were engaged in, tearing him apart as a flawed and failing coach - even after two NCs!
  3. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    There were definitely criticisms of Billy after we missed the NCAA two years in a row, but I don't remember a single person questioning whether or not he should be our coach going forward.
  4. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246

True True
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,622
    How about before that? After some early tournament losses, I distinctly remember threads dedicating to discuss better coaching alternative, including Mark Few, Paul Hewitt, even Dennis Felton.
  6. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    If you are talking about the early 2000s I wasn't on the boards then so I can't say anything. But I don't remember any discussion, let alone serious discussion of a different coach in the past 7-8 years.

I generally think UF fans are more ridiculously demanding in football than basketball.
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    He is the best coach in the history of Gator sports and would do a great job as olympic coach.
  8. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    That blog writer got it exactly right. That is Billy Donovan 100%. Teddy Dupay & I brought my dad up to meet Billy a while back, knowing it would be hilarious to hear my dad impart the coaching tips that he swore to share upon meeting him. My dad is a huge Gator basketball fan, but holds nothing back and has many opinions. I said "Billy this guy is your coaching counterpart - he coached the YMCA girls 12 and under team to the league championship." Billy proceeded to joke with him and talked coaching strategy. Teddy & I were laughing our asses off when my dad expressed his frustration with Erv's play at times & Billy joined him in that. My dad thought it was incredible that Billy sat there talking to him like Billy was just another little league coach, discussing the game & having a laugh - no ego whatsoever. Of course, we never would have encouraged him to open up like that if Billy wasn't that way :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,622
    True, but who would impugn a coach coming off consecutive national titles?
  10. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    I do. They said he lost his fire.
  11. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Yep. A lot of posters made ridiculous comments along the lines of "we messed up by not following through with Grant," etc.
  12. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    This isn't true. I was reading the board daily, and I don't remember a single poster, let alone "a lot of posters" suggesting we should have fired our 2x national championship coach and hired someone with little or no head coaching experience, and none at a high major level. Maybe there was one troll and I missed it, but we were having constant discussions about transfers, Dan Werner, recruiting philosphy, transfers, Dan Werner, how much it sucked we missed on Patrick Patterson, etc (and then some more posts about transfers), and why we could land 5* big men, despite our players doing well in the pros.

If you want to see what actual criticism of a coach looks like after winning it all, I would point you to our football team. There was 100x the amount of frustration at Urban Tim's senior year (and even more after he left), despite the fact Urban put together one of the more successful runs in recent history here. Lots of "he lost his fire", etc.

Message boards have the unfortunate problem where anyone can sign up, you have 10,000 posting and then you remember the few stupid things said, and I htink a lot of time people like to think of other posters as dumber than they really were so they can feel good about being right. I remember at the time being pretty happy Billy wasn't more heavily criticized considering we were coming off two tourney misses. If Vince Lombardi came back from the dead (or Bill Belichick decides he wants a new challenge) and took over our football team, they would get eviscerated on Swamp Gas if they did the equivalent of two seasons not making the tourney in football, and while there were certainly criticisms of Billy D (and I am sure he has things he would have done differently in retrospect), by and large everyone realized we were lucky to have him.
  13. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,170
    This. I think this may be the only reason Coach K never took the NBA plunge. His itch gets scratched this way.

I think it helps keep Billy in G-ville longer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Gator Country