Andy Katz endorses Coach Donovan as our next Olympic coach

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rtgator, Jul 9, 2013.

1. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +458
    ESPN's Andy Katz recognizes Donovan's accomplishments and pushes him for our future USA National Team and Olympic coach. Nice endorsement from ESPN's senior college basketball writer.

From Fran Fraschilla . . . . . . .

2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976
    Go Billy the Kid!!!
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Glad you found this and posted it. I was thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. Donovan has earned the right to coach an Olympics team. Outside of K, what other coach has this level of experience and success in the international game? And I'm not so sure K has shown this kind of success in thwarting those international offenses.
  4. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    Oftentimes... I sit back and just wonder...

Do we, as Gator Fans truly, truly realize how very fortunate we all are to have Billy Donovan as our Head Basketball Coach???

Hundreds of other big time BB schools who commit treason to get him on board.
    If they knew that he was looking for a new place to coach... the other teams would have their present head coach sent off to Mexico in the back of a trunk... and would throw away the bank... to get Billy.

Honestly... we are blessed. And I go back to the Norm Sloan days...
  5. brolowe

brolowe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    I'm with you Leezard. I don't think we fully appreciate OUR Billy D. We've NEVER seen the likes of Billy and his developed system. He's making contacts, national and international, and he still runs a program that ANY parent would want their youngster in. Exemplary in all aspects and a truly quality gentleman. I just can't say enough about Billy. Call me IMPRESSED!
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,766
    Future HOF'er even if he quits today.
  7. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    :love: :love: Billy D :love: :love:
  8. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    I'm so grateful to have billy d. We are very lucky there isn't many/any coaches out there like him. He loves gainesville and the university of florida. Doesn't chase the money or the easy routes, easy wins like some other unnamed scumbag that coached here.
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    I'm still of the opinion that they should get an NBA coach who's a good game coach (ie not Doc Rivers who keeps being mentioned, who is more of a motivator) to lead the team. The had Krwahfhhine (Is that better?) from Duke and Dan'toni, who knows nothing about defense and apparently can't adapt his offense either.

The Senior team has been winning on talent because we actually brought in the top flight guys again. Even so, we still lost in 2006 in embarrassing fashion because we couldn't stop the pick and roll and the Duke coach refuses to play more than 1 big at a time sometimes refusing to play any. If things suddenly stop going our way again at the next tourney, we could be looking at another freak loss like we had against Greece especially if we don't have Lebron or Durant to bail us out like we did in '10 and '12. So, I'd prefer an NBA coach who regularly has to defend against the offenses that International teams use, which aren't used much in college hoops.

With that said, the way Billy has had them focusing on defense is encouraging. If he can do that with the Senior team, then I'd be all for it. But I think that would be a bit of a slight against some well qualified coaches from the NBA and I'm not sure how the NBA players would receive him because of the Orlando situation.

Anyway, college hoops is very different from international ball, moreso than the NBA, so while I'd love to see Billy there, I don't think he'd be the best fit. But that's just my very unqualified opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. srotag

srotag New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
  11. srotag

srotag New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Billy now 14-0 with back2back :D titles.
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Lol... interestingly put.
  13. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Would NBA players be willing to do full court press all game? Key to Billy's success is players buying into his system. Not sure NBA egoes would.
  14. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Dude. He has back to back golds in the international game, He is a great fit
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Not entirely sure Donovan would press against varsity FIBA competition. It is a good move against teenagers, but veteran pros would exploit it much more easily. What would carry over is his attention to ball screen defense. That is an area where the US teams have improved in recent years because of their willingness to get away from the lane clogging big tandems they've had in the past and go with quicker, more defensively minded post players (Howard, Chandler, Davis) or floor spacing shooters (Love, Bosh). Donovan would do very well with that personnel. He wouldn't have a problem running some version of his offensive system, with that high ball screen action and floor spacing wings/fours, but he would have to give the elite scorers some iso and post up opportunities.

None of that is to say he will or even should be considered. But I believe he could be successful with the right mix.
  16. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +828
    While I like the reward angle of this opportunity for BD, I don't know if I like him rubbing elbows with the Pro's if you know what I mean.

I know we all say he will never go to the Pro's. But if he coaches them to gold, I'm sure some owner will come at him hard again.
  17. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    You think that NBA players even think about that?
  18. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    makes PERFECT sense!

man, i'll be glued to the tv watching too!
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    A UK blog just posted "20 final thoughts from the Peach Jam." Here's thought number 6:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=136704
  20. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Going the team USA route between seasons, IMO, shows Billy is still hungry for more than he's getting at UF. Perhaps the international competition and coaching team USA in the Olympics will satisfy.