And suddenly basketball doesn't matter so much

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:52 PM.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,868
    today's tragic school shooting occurred within a block of my home. In fact, my son and I were driving past as it was swarmed by police, swat and helicopters. Stuck in traffic, we foolishly got out of the car to determine the delay. "Stay in your car. There is a shooter".
    I hustled my son back in the car. "No-- she didn't say that, buddy. She said 'shoot, there is traffic'".
    I lied to him...I wasn't ready to change his world.
    But tonite I am sure we will have a talk.
    Thankfully, none of my children are of highschool age. I do have a nephew who attends. I picked him up, as his mom couldn't get close enough to the school. I have never witnessed such an awful scene.
    Hugs your kids. This is a sad world.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 10:33 PM
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,733
    Sorry to see your kids have to lose their innocence well before their time AKA. This world seems to have gotten crazier than anytime I can remember in the past.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,425
    hug them tight everyday, we are living in times unlike anything I can remember.........
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,813
    I was reminded of life's preciousness late last week when a friend of my daughter was killed in a car bring driven by someone who decided to evade police because he was stopped for some traffic violation.

All we can do, besides hug our family members and let them know they are loved, is to keep reminding ourselves that we can NOT assume that tomorrow will come the same as the previous days, weeks, or years.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,960
    God bless you and your family aka. No doubt your neighborhood and community will be devastated by this, but I hope you didn't lose any friends or family in this tragedy. Sadly, so many families will be forever damaged. I'm from SoFla as well so the emotions run a little deeper in me relative to other mass murders.

I know that's part of the reason I love sports so much. It's an escape (or at least used to be) from all the horror and craziness in the world. I'm always reminded of the last line from the movie Seven: "Ernest Hemingway once wrote The world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part."
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,546
    Glad you and your family are safe, so sad....words are not sufficient.

Everyday we get is precious.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +29,571
    Glad you and your family is safe......Terrible tragedy.....prayers for everyone involved.
  8. REM08

REM08 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,523
    Our acceptance of the fact that we live in such a terrifying world is hard enough... Our kids live in that world too!?!? Just blows your mind and its painful to watch them slowly become more aware of this as they get older. Situations like your town is experiencing today sure speed that process up unfortunately.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,509
    I went to Coral Springs high school, Stoneman Douglas’s main rival. The schools are a few miles apart. Similar size. I knew people who went to Douglas. It was many years ago so I have no connections there now, but my folks still live very close by in Coral Springs. RIP to the victims, their families and loved ones.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Imkicking182

Imkicking182 All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Two kids here... Whats the answer? Just sad.... Sorry aka, you and your friends dont deserve this....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +33,523
    AKA. Prayers for you and your kids, and especially the families torn apart by all of this. We took our kids out for our annual family Valentines dinner tonight. It is hard to imagine some will never get to do that again.
  12. Imkicking182

Imkicking182 All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Us as well, but it wasnt a fun dinner... updates were tough on the phone... ugh... tough world
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. drmrharnettgator

drmrharnettgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +195
    I went to Springs and grew up only a few miles from MSD. My cousin's kids go to school there. Thankfully both are safe.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,209
    I went to springs (was classmates with twodaparty's bro) and I still go down to visit. This one definitely hits close to home. Wife and I got married in Parkland. Not sure why people do terrible things
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,781
    Horrible stuff, very sad.

The rest of the country will soon forget this tragedy especially when the next one occurs, but the community and students will be impacted for a life time. Unfortunately, the shooter survived so there will be ongoing trial coverage locally for years. Stoneman Douglas is probably the best public high school school in Ft Lauderdale. This can happen anywhere in the US.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. number1

number1 All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,174
    As a teacher, I can't even begin to understand how individuals can erode so much mentally to resort to this sort of violence.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +19,267
    Haven't heard from aka recently and I was wondering if everything is okay with his family.
  18. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    Hard to think about sports when life is put in perspective literally right in front of you. I'm wishing him and his family well and understand why he's taking some time off from the board. He's got to put his focus on family like everyone in that area.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,168
    Well I know who will be my favorite high school football team to cheer for in 2018. The memories of Coach Feis will inspire his teammates for years to come. I hope ESPNU can find a way to get the team on sometime next year but leave the players to the game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,509
    Basketball, Football or any other athletics events has never really mattered at all. It's merely human nature to choose a side and Root for them to the Death.

It has nothing to do with mattering.

Speaking of which, a good friend of mine is the Grandmother of a boy and girl who play on Alonzo's poor-man basketball, and her son coaches the boys. Although no one expected it, the boys won District last night and are headed to state, and the girls won District last week and crushed their first regional opponent with the 3rd string in by the 3rd quarter last night by 30 points. Her 5'1 granddaughter, Carley, who was a starter as a true frosh, now a soph, led the team with 18 points last night. Playing against her dad, uncles and bigger male relatives since she was 5, and practicing her shooting every day at 5:00 AM for 2 hours before school, has made her both tough as nails and and incredibly gifted player. Good coaching from the beginning helped a lot also.

So, although it doesn't matter and never has, it is sort of fun when true underdog's crush heavily favored opponents and force them to their proverbial knees.