And in the 2014 most likely to be recruited over twice category....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Sep 14, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
  2. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Ridiculous post and a sideways knock of Erving Walker. Plenty of little guys have been tremendous college players. Of course, arrogant UK fans want their point guards to be NBA ready when they start their 5-month careers at UK.
  4. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Keeping Walker out of this, my point is that any four year player is very likely to be recruited over every year Calipari remains at UK.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    This is a fair question. It was the same one raised when Poole Jr and Wiltjer signed. Technically it was said of WCS also though. Harder to recruit over a 7 foot guy than a 5'8 pg, truth be told.

I actually think this one works out though. I think Ulis will start at least 2 of the 4 years he plays. I don't think he's an NBA player but DO think he can be a very effective point guard at the college level. I was surprised by how few under 5'10 guys there have been that proved to be very good players, however.

Cal saw what happened when you miss on a point guard, last year. Ulis is a great insurance policy. He's a phenomenal passer and can shoot as well. Definitely pass first though. He'll be surrounded with talent that will make it so he doesn't have to create for himself very often. I think many will be surprised with how good he is. Although, there's no spinning the fact that he was plan C.
  6. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Is he good enough to start in 2014? I bet Hawkins right now is planning to be the starter that year. Then there will be McClure or someone like him in UK's 2015 class if Calipari is still there.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Yeah, Hawkins makes it interesting. I'll have to see more of him to have a better opinion. But I think Ulis is good enough to start in '14 - albeit not on the level of past UK guards. Jeff Goodman tweeted recently that Ulis is much better than Harrow was. IMO the only way he doesn't start next year is if Aaron Harrison returns. But I have that at a 2% chance of happening.

I don't think he starts in '15, but would be willing to bet he starts one of his last two years.
  8. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    None of those CBS guys who were talking about how great UK and Harrow were last year have much cred when it comes to UK. They feed the masses every year to get those web page hits and I understand they are in business to make money.

Still unless he was warning you that Harrow might be a miss last year, why would you believe he is doing anything but spreading more hype. I know if I were a UK fan I would not be slurping up hype from the same guys who were hyping up last years team.
  9. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Bait not taken.
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +451
    Since Madgator didn't respond I guess you are correct.

As for the UK PG part, UK's offense requires a very good dribble penetrater and that just reeks of NBA ready.
  11. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +451
    No hype here. UK is LOADED next season. UF is not far behind assuming the issues with certain players are resolved. It will be an interesting SEC and NCAA coming up. I would not be shocked to see both in the FF.
  12. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    You mean UF is not very far AHEAD of UK. That remains to be seen as you seem to be slurping the same slurpee from the same people that many people slurped it from last year. How far ahead of UK, UF is is a matter to think about.

I said on here that I would take UF at every position over UK. Since I said that Randle comitted to UK and C. Walker did not make it in in the fall. That might make me change my mind to I would take UF over UK at every position but the 4. If ultimately C. Walker makes it to UF in December, then the only change is adding Randle to the 4 at UK and I have not completely made up my mind about that.

I would be pretty shocked to see UK in the FF.
  13. GatorLurker

Ratings Received:
    +451
    We can agree to disagree. UK next year has awesome talent. UF, on the other hand, will be close behind if Walker eventually is cleared and those that might be suspended are not after a while.
  14. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I don't want to get into a fight but do you really believe that those transfers are going to do things at Florida that they could not do at their original schools?

Kentucky has never had a great transfer, like Smart at Indiana. Florida is going to have talent, but we have no idea of the chemistry as they will have nearly as many new faces as Kentucky.

You state that with Walker Florida will have a better man at every position. I don't buy that. Is Patrick still starting at center? If so UK's centers last year were better than Patrick and one of UK's centers is back. I just don't see Florida better at all five positions, especially at the 5. Again I don't see how both Florida guards are better than UK. At the four is Walker better than Randle?

And UK has no shot at the FF? Are you bitter or is your statement based on some insider information? The slurping from last year was because Noel went down.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    So UF is deeper, has a better coach, and has an advantage at 4 or 5 out of 5 positions. Sounds like a sweep then, right? Im ready for the prediction.
  16. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Ok let's look at this again:

PG

UF: Wilbekin, Hill
    UK: A. Harrison, Hawkins

Wilbekin is probably the best PG in the SEC. Heck he probably was last year too. Hill and A. Harrison are to highly ranked recruits. Hawkins is a less highly recruited frosh. This seems an obvious advantage UF to me.

SG

UF: Frazier, Graham
    UK: Young, A. Harrison

Frazier is a proven college shooter from the arc and a surprising rebounder. Graham, Young and A.Harrison were highly recruited guys. Yes Graham was offered by other top programs like KU. Graham has a year of experience over the UK guys and may be the most athletic of the bunch. It is hard not to call that edge UF too.

SF

UF: Finney-Smith, Prather
    UK: Poythress, Hood

Though I know Young and Hood might be swapped in position, as I have is these are 4 college players with a track record. The UF guys were both productive college players the last year they played as was Poythress last year. None of them were stars. Still based on having two players for this position, I can it edge UF.

PF

UF: Yeguete, C. Walker (Maybe)
    UK: Randle, Lee

Randle, Lee and C. Walker were highly recruited guys last year. Yeguete is proven college player. I suspect out of the two UK guys one will have a good season and one will be unhappy. Still until we know C.Walker is playing, I would say probably edge UK though perhaps I should factor in Harris here.

C

UF: Young, Harris
    UK: Cauley-Stein, Johnson

Young, Harris and Cauley-Stein are proven college players. Young is probably the most proven. Harris actually was a slightly better shot blocker his last year at SoCar than Cauley-Stein was at UK last year. Johnson is a highly recruited guy. Hard to say it is not edge UF.

Ok so everyone can take their shot at my evaluations. Please tell me where I am wrong without completely relying on guys who told you UK was the top team in the country pre-season 2012.
  17. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
    Young outplayed WCS both games last year.
  18. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +687
    I just don't understand what the problem is. Isn't the point to have the best players on your team and to win? If Ulis comes in and works hard and can help Kentucky win then he will play and if he isn't good enough he will be recruited over and justly so.

Jeff
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    You dodged the prediction. Its hard to suggest UK could have a better year in any way be it head to head, tournament or reg season. Lets hear it.
  20. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    1. There is no "problem." If Ulis is willing to go play for a guy likely to recruit over him, that is certainly his right. Some players however would not like that situation.

2. If Ulis comes in, works hard and can help UK win, he still likely will be recruited over at least twice if Calipari remains at UK.