Analysis of our first three opponents

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, May 29, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,837
    Ok... I see how they could be counting seven starters lost. Thanks.

The main thing for us on defense is replacing the second CB, one safety and developing depth on the DL and secondary. Also, while we have experience coming back at LB, we need to get more consistent play out of that group.
  2. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    UF lost 7 guys that started games. Sure. But they return Bullard, Fowler, Cummings, Orr, Morrison, Taylor, Ball, VH3, and Gorman. That's 9 starters. And they started and played a lot, it's not like they just started one game.
  3. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Rather than our 1's putting up 70 pts, I like to see great play out our players and then see developmental work with the 2's & 3's.

But I would not throttle back. I'd let them play all out and that includes back-up QBs. It is frustrating to see back-ups playing in basic formations and then when they are needed they have to start from scratch.

It would be nice to be able to put fresh legs in the 4 quarter against Bama, LSU and UGA with little drop-off in play.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stewie4Governor

Stewie4Governor Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    You can't have more than 11 starters for this comparison. I don't know what else to tell you. I'm not sure where you read that I was in any way belittling the contribution of those you listed, or questioning their merits as starters. There were 12 different starting lineups last year. There were injuries, different game plans & suspensions. There will never be a consensus of who the 11 starters were. How you determine those starters is up to you, but if you make new criteria, you have to apply that criteria to every team for comparison.
  5. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,837
    This is the tough part about really evaluating what teams have returning.

IMO, the best way to evaluate would be to identify returning snaps by position group. That would give you the clearest picture. It also requires a lot of detail that is not accessible to us. Somebody would have to track it and publish it for all games.

But looking at it from standpoint of starters lost, I think there should be an effort to break down how many games they started and not count them as a "lost starter" if they started less than half the games played in the season. Which would drop Easley and Roberson from that list of "lost starters" that your Vegas source used.
  6. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    Agree.

Missouri, UGA, and SC are returning QBs that have started football games...yet, they lost their "starting" QB.

If you look at our roster, didn't SM start more games than JD? Also, I've argued w/ people who keep saying that Jeff is a "three year starter". If we want to argue he's a "3 year starter" then, hell, I guess anybody who's started a football game or two in their college career should get "returning starter" status!
  7. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Based on the O&B Game, SM has come a long way. People JD brings something to table that changes things, he can run. If we have good back-ups, I think Roper will let him run.
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,837
    Grier and Harris can run too... Harris in particular is very elusive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    So very true. Roper has also used multiple QBs. Hence the reason I want to see a lot of 2s & 3s in the first 3 games. As for QB, I think we are much better off than people think and the future is even brighter.

I hope Driskel is allowed to run because he can scoot. I hear Harris and Grier can also. I'd like to see Grier redshirt because he needs to bulk up.
  10. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Screw that. Run every play and show an effective offense with a hurry up. Nick Saban literally goes to sleep crying by the thought of hurry up offenses. I heard he offered his daughter to the NCAA god's to end the no huddle last year. I called and tried to take her..she's hot...but he was just his old plain rude self and hung up on me.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,686

Good point about Driskel.

I kept saying all last season until JD got hurt that we were trying to turn him into a drop-back passing QB and taking away his ability as a dual-threat. This season, it's going to be dual-threat JD, which will help the O a lot more.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    I agree, it was hard to watch him play drop-back passer (they even tried it a little in the Sugar Bowl to self-destructive effect). Driskel's best bet is to keep opponents honest by being a threat to run at any time. It's probably one of the most important decisions our staff could make if they hoped to help Driskel. Will it work? We'll see soon enough.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    Kentucky will be tougher than expected and will provide a good barometer as we prepare for the Tide.

We should be rolling through these first three games.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  14. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    Kentucky still has talent issues....we "should" beat them soundly (I don't want to get ahead of myself....but we don't know what we have until we actually see it. No one expected what we saw last season). We should beat that UK team by 21+, especially at home.

I'm very happy we play the 3 "easy" teams early. This team needs to rebuild it's confidence. It also allows plenty of young talent to get reps. I hope we blow out all three and see at least 3 series on Offense in each game w/ the 2's and 3's. Same on D. We need those young DL to get reps.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +652
    In my opinion CWM can't afford to hold the offense back in the first three games. If we coast through the first three with point production in the 20's people are going to be upset. That coupled with a poor showing against a very good Alabama team and the fan base might be right back where it was last year. We need to build momentum, we sure didn't carry any over from last year.

Of course if the team beats Alabama a significant amount of "sins" the coaching staff have committed against the fan base may be forgiven. Winning fixes everything.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    If we only manage 20-29 points (or less) vs. the first 3 we're in for a long season......
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    I would rather see little of our defense, and a lot of offense in these early games, rotating QB's so we have options at the position and keeps our QB's fresh and focused. This has been missing and it has helped kill our seasons over the last four years, the 11-2 season we had the best defense in the nation but Will managed to wear them out and we floundered in the bowl game. WE need an offense! Keep the defense off the field and get as many points as we can, when the dust settles, hopefully we have more than our opponents.

Run it up the first three games and let the players know it can be done then a quick midterm with Alabama, we can prove that not only do we have offense, we have a defense, this would constitute a football team and Will has learned we need both sides of the ball to be explosive. I am hopeful, if not we all know how this will end.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    I don't think this staff will hold anything back on O or D. With all that's on the line, including a slow start for '15 recruiting verbals, it behooves wm to get the early wins by big margins and play as many young players as practical. I doubt if any staff member is worrying about burning a redshirt this season. The coaching changes and Driskel coming into the season with a healthy offseason should make us a significantly different opponent this year.

For Bama, LSU, MO, UGA and USCe, we'll need to see significant improvement in all three phases - especially on offense and special teams (field goals & consistency in the punting game). Extending drives on offense and consistency in our punting game will help the defense by giving our opponents a longer field to begin their drives. These improvements and a singleness of purpose from staff should make a difference. Hopefully, we'll have an all in roster with better prepared reserves.

I'm anxious to see a Gator team capable of executing all 3 phases of the game and coaches willing to give deserving youngsters some meaningful snaps - especially against our early opponents.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,837
    I agree we really need to focus on the offense in the first few games. Run it as efficiently as possible. Determine our strengths and get really good at them. Get a good look at personnel, including the QBs as you indicate.

I don't agree that the Sugar Bowl game had anything to do with our defense being worn down, though. They had plenty of time to get healthy.

Louisville was exceptionally well prepared (Bridgewater in particular), while the bowl game was almost a let down game for us... as much as a Sugar Bowl can be. We clearly did not prepare as well.

OTOH, we thought it would be a good time to get JD work on the pass game, but neither he nor the OL were capable of performing against a strong defense with a lot of time to prepare. And for all the complaints about "Muschamp's conservative offense" last year, he was not trying to be conservative. Muschamp clearly tried to open the offense up, but injuries and other personnel issues knocked out a bunch of key players, and TOs and red zone execution killed us. It wasn't a conservative philosophy or some lack of wanting an offense that hurt us.

Hopefully this year with a healthier team and some fresh energy and outlook with the new coaches, we'll be successful on offense.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    Kentucky should give us a good idea on whether or not UF will be able to protect Jeff Driskel in 2014. The UK defensive line will be pretty good.

DE Alvin "Bud" Dupree and DE Za'Darius Smith are two bright spots on the depth chart on defense for the Wildcats. They produced a combined 120 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and 13 sacks in 2013, not to mention nine quarterback hurries.

Those two will test UF's tackles. How well UF protects in that game should go a long way in telling us the viability of the UF offense in 2014. If UF can't protect him against UK, two things will happen:

1. The UK UF game will be closer than everyone thinks.
    2. Jeff Driskel won't last the entire season, because teams like Mizzou, LSU, Alabama, UGA, etc will destroy him.

If those things happen, UF will struggle to win more than 7 games.
    • Agree Agree x 1