An open letter to Charles Rangel..

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    Everyone knows Rangel, Jackson, and Sharpton make their living on racism. They love it and promote it, just like the NAACP.
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Junior?
  3. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    I'm friends with a lot of Latinos and let me tell you that they are not sympathetic towards the plight of the black man like white men are. When they get the majority in this Country within the next 50 years, you can toss the race card out the window. Black communities better get it together because Hispanics are not going to play that game.
  4. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Racism is their livelihood. It's like they're like farmers and their crop is racism. They have to plant the seeds, nurture it, fertilize it and eventually reap it for cash.
  5. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    Of all places, the Nation had an article on this very topic in 05 or 06.
  6. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    They do have much more of a problem with it within their ranks. And the problem to me seems more about not really knowing how to talk about racial issues and to some degree not really trying to understand.

I know on these boards there's plenty of deflection and "but, but, but" look at this other guy (as I, admittedly so, did on this very thread with my first post), but when it comes down to it, the reflexive pointing the finger at Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson can only go on for so long before one comes to realize that this those invoking their names are not really serious about the issue or it's the only argument that some on the right can make.

My suggestion is for some folks to look at that historical power difference and look at the legacy that enslavement and Jim Crow has left us and think about how such things still factor in (because they most certainly do) and then try to put oneself in the shoes of those who were subjugated and have a history of it in their families. This isn't to say that makes African Americans right just because they were subjugated, only that for many, that history, that realization that they still experience much discrimination and racism directed towards them (that we don't even see), for which they do have to think about and contend with.

It's different for many white folk, particularly white folk of affluence who may not ever have experienced anything of its kind. They don't have to think about it if they don't want to.. In other words, it takes empathy, not reflexive dismissiveness or denial of injury that much often comes from the right when race issues arise in the public sphere.
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,557
    Feelings- nothing more than feelings
  8. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    JD, there is a racism problem in the Democratic Party. Many African Americans have a problem with race. The recent Rangel outburst is a good example. This racism is not necessarily black on white. It can be black on black. Some blacks discriminate against lighter skin blacks or blacks who act white. You don't hear about this type of racism because the LSM avoids it.

I sort of agree with your point but on the other hand it is time for Sharpton, Jackson, and the others to retire their race baiting traveling medicine show. We are now a half century removed from the passing if the Civil Rights Bill.
    It is way pass time for everyone to move on.

I am OK with everyone learning this history. As the bold saying goes.,,those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeated it.

Jackie Robinson faced way more racism in one day then many African Americans of today face in a year. Did he quit? No, he stuck it out and made a difference and help chafed the minds of a lot of white people. Time and social peer pressure will put an end to most racism. Preferential treatment or a double standard will only make things worst.

I firmly and respectfully disagree with you. You out the onus on whites. Also, you are ignoring a lot other types of racism. To fix the problem is more open AND HONEST discussions on racism and more sensitivity and diversity training. Also it is time to let go of the past and to move forward.
  9. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
  10. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    This is a rarely-mentioned little secret to today's political alignment.

I watched in Miami as Hispanics and blacks clashed on many levels back in the day. All the talk about the Hispanic vote being in the bag for the donkeys is overblown. The hispanic people want jobs, too, and they aren't going to put up with their jobs being handed to blacks, or blacks getting preferential treatment over them and their families. It's a ticking clock that could strike 12 in the foreseeable future.

The NUMBER ONE thing the donkeys fear the most is a triangulation where middle-class Hispanics gravitate to the GOP in the future.
  11. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    You seem to ignore
    1, How the Asians were treated when the started coming to the USA for the California Gold Rush. The Western end of the first transcontinental railroad was built in the bones of Asians. For almost a century later they endured a lot of discrimination.
    2, The Jews in the US faced the same Zimmerman Crow laws.
    3, The catholic and the Italians in the dame boat.
    4, My Children are bi-racial and I have seen some
    discrimination too.
    5, I am dark skin due to my Cherokee heritage and bavk in the 50's'60', and 70's i was called the N word or worst.

In other words blacks do not have a monopoly on racism.

12. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
  13. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,060
    Well, that, and the fact that sometimes his fans will quote him as if he's a responsible journalist, yet other times, when he's proven to be wrong, they say "he's only a comedian!"
  14. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Are you able to tell the difference when somebody is doing their bit and when they are not? Baldwin's rant was not part of some comedic "act". Not the first time for him but there has been no backlash. Strange.
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yes, because his profession is more permissive of such things. You know, if you take your clothes off at work you're probably going to get fired. And yet where's the outcry when people take their clothes off at Mons Venus?
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    So, McCain says stupid stuff all the time. Being a veteran does not give you the right to be a racist.
  17. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +505
    But yet you can't confront the racism in the Senate that resides in Charlie the Racist Rangle.
  18. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +505
    That is Bullshit.
  19. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,891
    It's funny how conservatives are trying to make the word "cracker" the equivalent of "ni**er"

Let me know when people start writing it "cr***er" out of not even wanting to write it, or calling it the C word.

Let me know when it's meaning was historically one that cast inferiority, less then human
  20. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    Nigger = inferior? SMH