An older Smart Football write-up on the diamond formation

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by orangeblueorangeblue, Sep 23, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    [​IMG]

A few announcers have noted how successful we seem to be in this formation, and I noticed we backed out of it a bit against UT. It did seem to help quite a bit on run plays and I think it would be even more effective as a "base" formation for Florida, particularly given Murphy's apparent skill at making the read on the read option that we run out of this. Having two lead blockers sure never hurts, and with versatile guys like Burton, Ajagbe and Joyer that can go back there, I'd really like to see more of it.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-diamond-formation-and-other-multi-back-pistol-sets
    • Like Like x 1
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    Don't have time to read the article right now, but if you include someone for the QB to pitch to out of this formation, does the read-option essentially become the wishbone?

I like the formation for us.

Again somewhat off the subject: I used to really enjoy watching good wishbone attacks, including the Gators' (I think ours was called the "Broken Bone" at times because of the way the formation was set up a little differently - not because it didn't work :smoke:) back in the 70's.
  3. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    When we had Wes Chandler we would line him up in the wishbone then shift him out to receiver, hence "the Broken Bone." This was in 1977.
  4. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Wow, what comes around was invented a long time ago.

If the QB is under center, we are looking at the original T.
    If one of the backs motions, and resets, with the QB under center, it looks like the original winged T.
    In the formation depicted, it looks a bit like the Short Punt that Robert E. Lee Jacksonville ran all of the years I was at Landon in the early 50s.

Oh, then we have the Pistol which is close to a single wing. Except in the single wing the tailback was a runner and a thrower. But, wait that is the read/option

Then there are the more recent iterations, named the wishbone, the broken bone, etc.

Of course no one would want to use the old designations, because that would sound retro. Surprised that a few geriatrics, like Verne, Mushmouth, or Holtz haven't pointed it out thought.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    Sweet. Thanks for the link. I've often wondered how that fit into what we want to do and can see that the shifts and the tightening the box really force defenses to choose between matching personnel and sliding one or two safeties in the box. That can wreak havoc on outside contain for the pitch or boot action and also opens up some potentially big gains on the ground if you suck those safeties up and bounce outside at the second level.
  6. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Why don't we just re-vert the thing and run some wishbone football......not as a staple but maybe 10-12 plays a game. You guys can laugh all you want but it is a nightmare for defenses to prepare for it......and while people think it's primitive I would suggest looking at how Oklahoma made Keith Jackson into maybe the greatest TE of all time.....Anybody remember the days when they used to throw the ball about 5 times a game and 2 of them would be for TD's.....Teams have seen Trey Burton run the same 2 routes for the first 3 games now and he will be shut down as a WR soon, we already know the straight up Wildcat isn't going to work......we have 2 stud FB's and 4 RB's who all deserve some reps. Trey taking a few reps from Tyler will give him some time to talk about things with the offensive coaches while he's off the field and also decrease his chance of getting injured plus a FB dive now and then would take some of the pounding off MB and MJ.....Flame away.....
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I think the first time we really saw this was in the BCS CG in 2010, when Oregon used it extensively against Auburn. They referred to it as the wishbone quite a bit then.

It really is unique, though, due to the QB's position, the motion and the personnel. Really, not much unique can happen in football at this point, we've sort of exhausted the possibilities of formations within the rulebook.
  8. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    No matter the backs, I imagine Burton/Joyer would be two definite in this formation, Murphy could take full advantage of this style of play. The option to give it off to 3 different people or run himself with 3 blockers in front is something he should excel at.

I would love to see this formation more as well.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    This seems to have drifted away with TM's reign, though I think it's too bad. Maybe TM just can't run it yet or isn't familiar enough with it, but it was our most effective formation early on and provided a lot of options.
  10. ametcalf

ametcalf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I like this idea!
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Play calls change from week to week. If Pease find something that is working in a game he will continue to use it until they stop it. Our team having more formations then most really helps us win football games.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I get that but largely it hasn't been stopped. I really think it was more catered to Jeff.
  13. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    By the way, Herndon had a walk in TD if Burton did not keep the ball on Saturday...
  14. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    I like it Drew. Could give Trey more options than the read, it which most cases he keeps. If it does nothing more than freeze the LB or Safety, it would help. No flame here.
  15. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    UK couldn't stop Jones running from one back or two back sets. You could be right but I kind of doubt it was tossed because of the QB' change.
  16. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,754
    Indeed...the other team was keying in on Burton the whole time.

An atta-boy needs to go to McNeeley, who got the block on the outside contain LBer and held it long enough to spring Burton for the nice gain.

Hopefully the coaches review the game tape and have Burton handing off a few of those. It's been open a few times this season.
  17. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +444
    I really like the versatility of this set but given our lack of QB depth, don't want to see Murphy carrying the ball too often.

Burton, as the second fullback seems to be the difference maker, because of his versatility and smarts, but still I would love to see Ajabe or Joiner get to catch or even carry the ball once or twice per game to keep the defense honest.

Lastly, Showers returning to the lineup gives us another playmaker in the backfield especially since we Patton seems to be running fewer jet sweeps given his upgraded role as our deep receiving threat and occasional kick returner.
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,125
    It's all about keeping the safeties off the LOS and forcing them to play the possible pass too. It makes a defense have to be responsible for every possibility and to cuts down and autographing what you're going to do on offense. With Driskel, we did that a lot for some reason and tipped the defenses off.

It's a difficult formation to defend when you have a QB who is a good dual-threat.
  19. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,306
    Good read and thanks for the link
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372

Herndon played ?

Great news.
    • Like Like x 1