An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Maybe the read-option wasn't run later int the game because Driskel had a sprained knee.

Maybe the coaches were limited in their play calling because another stating Olineman, that makes three since camp began, went down in the first quarter. I have seen unverified reports that one or two more were in and out. The line was a shambles--again.

So, now the chorus of --"excuses, excuses. The Gators shouldn't need excuses" can start. I am not making excuses I am just noting facts.

I am not going to judge coaches or QB on the basis of one bad game in which so many people screwed up. They will fix some of the problems and we will see how the SEC season plays out.

About this time last year the doom and gloom was even worse than now. I suspect that some people just love to wallow in it.
  2. GATORnGA31909

GATORnGA31909 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    I think Driskel should play more Madden football and help him learn how to make better reads in the passing game...progressions is his major downfall and madden could show him the field and basically train his brain into translating it to the real game. I've heard many great QB's do this on a daily basis for fun and teaching
  3. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Finally someone with a real solution
  4. SailinGator

SailinGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    In the last 3 games we have lost, we have a total of 13 turnovers. THIRTEEN. Know how many of those are on Driskel? TEN. So we can throw darts all day long at the OC, OL, WR, refs, hot dog vendors, and the weatherman but it won't change the truth - Driskel is extremely careless with the football. At this level of play, it is unacceptable and it has cost us dearly.
  5. fullufshatg8tr

fullufshatg8tr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Doug Johnson > Jeff Driskel
    Even though they are very similar when it comes to making poor decisions.
  6. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    I think we have too many Madden coaches posting here.
  7. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    I would really like for us to work on the Diamond formation.
    It looks like it really could benefit us with Jeff's ability to run and the amount of RB's we have that can get the job done. I say split it all up and confuse the opposing D.
    Plus in the Diamond we get we get two more players defending the rush giving Jeff some more time to look around to complete a pass.

And Get the ball to my favorite guy Solomon.
    And damn it don't run my guy on a jet sweep to the short side of the field-especially if you can't block it right.
  8. nmd55

nmd55 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I cant believe people are defending Driskel. Am I the only one that sees it?

Driskel is a more athletic version of Brantley. They both have 0 pocket awareness and make bonehead decisions when the get pressure.

The first INT in the endzone was a prime example of how little progress Driskel has made. From my seat in the stands I watched the whole play unfold.

Miami sent a 3 man rush and dropped 8 into coverage. Our RT got beat by a speed rush and immediately put pressure in Driskel's face. At this point Driskel should have realized that it was just a 3 man rush and if he would just step up in the pocket he could have allowed the RT to recover and allowed himself more time.

Instead Driskel sees the pressure, freezes and then tries to beat the edge rusher to the edge. He was athletic enough to buy himself enough time to make a terrible rushed pass into double coverage in the middle of the field.

The point is after 3 years of coaching if he hasn't mastered this yet he probably never will.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    nmd55 QB's are going to make a bad play sometime that is life nobody is going to make all the right decisions. It was a bad play he should have never through the ball but people seem to be putting all the blame on him and Pease and that should not be the case.
  10. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    both are baseball players with strong arms, but poor touch on the throws
  11. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    ingle martin> jeff driskel .... this was hard for me to type but he proved it to me saturday. i can not believe how little progress has been made with his decision making and ability to read coverages. the interceptions are on him. with this D all we need is a game manager who will not make these horrid decisions. also how in the world does he have 0 pocket awareness still. i just don't understand it, driskel has all the ability in the world but he does not have the IT factor necessary to make enough plays when the field shrinks in the red zone. what a shame, pease better get creative
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I was critical last year of JD's presnap recognition, pocket presence and ability to see the field and go thru progressions.

He is a lot better in all those areas for the majority of plays this year. I'm not sure why some folks don't see that.

Was there any game he could have passed for 291 yards last year? Or made clutch throws releasing the ball to the open man just before he got buried? He made some nice plays in that Miami game.

It appears to me that he reverts when he presses.... like in the red zone. Hopefully he can continue to grow and improve in that area as well. We really need him to if we're gonna get TDs instead of FGs.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I've said it before so I'll say it again - it would be nice if every now and then we threw a pass into the end zone on first down when we're on the 15 or 20 instead of trying to grind out yards by running the ball and only throwing when we have 3rd and long. Not something to do every time but just doing it occasionally would keep the other team off balance. And who knows, we might even score.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    For decision-making, may as well throw Grossman in there as well. Jeff has yet to have as bad a game as some of "Bad Rex's" efforts...
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    Agree completely.

The best thing Driskel did last season was avoid turnovers for the most part. If he can do that again, and with the improvement he's shown in other areas, he could do well for us this season.
  16. SailinGator

SailinGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Definitely not - see my previous post. I realize that no QB is perfect and turnovers will happen but at this point in his development I agree with you - if he doesn't have it down by now, he probably never will. Say what you want about Tebow's weird mechanics, but one thing you didn't see him do was turn the ball over.
  17. socal_g8tr

socal_g8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Agree with most of the knocks against Driskel. The kid is talented but plays poorly at times. In his defese I offer up the points below.

1.) The offensive line is not very consistent and not very deep; we haven't recruited well and/or developed players for the last 5 years. Tim Davis probably needs to go. Didn't Ben Knox just decommit?

2.) No one is afraid of our tight ends as receiving threats, and that is a big problem in the red zone. Don't we have two highly rated guys that aren't even on the depth chart?

3.) The coaching staff seems to abandon the very philosophy that the team is built around as soon as we get into any sort of trouble. By this I mean making some overly risky calls in critical situations. Evidence: fake field goal against FSU last year; crazy trick play against FSU on 3rd down that takes us out of field goal range last year; onsides kick against Louisville when the game was still within reach; two point conversion call against Miami, not being satisfied with just kicking field goals against Miami. If we're ok with good defense, good special teams and conservative offense, so be it. That's fine with me. I'm not trying to relive the '90s. But if the coaching staff is going to get jittery when the team falls behind against a quality opponent, maybe it's time for them to re-think their approach. Had we continued to just grind on the 'Canes, we probably would have won with FGs.

4.) How can anyone expect Driskel to suddenly deliver big throws in a big game when he doesn't get to take shots against the weak teams? He hit some big throws on Saturday, but he probably doesn't overthrow Dunbar if he gets some chances to throw deep against Toledo. You have to be able to count on your passing game to pick up some 3rd and longs against a good opponent in order to sustain drives, score points, maintain momentum, etc. That stuff doesn't just materialize when you really need it, you have to constantly work at it.

5.) I don't think that the wildcat with Burton is a good idea. I cringe when it's successful because that just encourages it even more. No one who is any good is fooled by this scheme. Yes, I know Burton went for 80 yards against the Vols last year and that was awesome, but good teams will shut this down. Calling these plays breaks Driskels rhythm, erodes his confidence and takes the ball out of our best signal callers hands.

6.) Is T. Burton really any more reliable as a receiver than all of the true freshmen on our roster?

7.) To me, the offense looks way more squared away than last season. Have we even had a delay of game or illegal formation penalty yet? To me, those are huge improvements over the confused jumble we used to see last season. Driskel looks like he knows what he'd doing. He calls time out when he has to. He knows where people are supposed to be lined up.

8.) I think Driskel is a physically tough kid. I think his ankle was pretty jacked up against FSU last year and you never heard him complain. He took a beating in that game and hung in there and made throws when it counted. Granted a lot of that slipped away from people's minds after the Sugar Bowl, but that game wasn't all his fault. I put the blame for that one on the coaching staff. Driskel isn't ready to carry the team yet, but he can become that player if he's developed over time and afforded the opportunity to have some learning experiences in in games that we know we should win.

Overall, I think the glass is half full. If the OC and HC don't panic and continue to develop the guy with more diverse playcalling against the patsies, he should develop into what we all want to see in the big games. He certainly has the physical tools to do so. There's still time for this to happen before LSU, UGA, USC and FSU.
  18. socal_g8tr

socal_g8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

Driskel deserves a lot of credit for wins against A&M, UT, Vandy and FSU last year. I can't remember Martin winning any big games. Didn't Leak take his job as a true freshman?
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Great first post, SoCal. Especially the last paragraph!
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    You are right, but to be fair to Ingle, had he not suffered that concussion in the 3d quarter against Miami in 2003, we would have won that game. He was great.