An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Any QB can be successful if everything goes right, blocks work, receivers get open ....but great QB's make it happen no matter what doesn't go right. Presently Jeff is OK when things are normal but he doesn't do well when the unexpected happens.
  2. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    IMHO all Jeff lacks right now is a good feel for when he should stand tall in the pocket and try to complete the pass, when he should take off down field, when he should run out of bounds, and when he should throw the ball away. Last year the criticism was that he took off running too soon, either out of bounds or down field, and didn't let the play develop. So now this year he's done a 180 and he's staying in the pocket too long and either taking a sack or making a bad throw under pressure. He'll get it right, it's just taking some time.
  3. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    I wonder if Jeff will be able to handle LSU in Baton Rouge, it will be loud. They are upset about last year and their offense even calls pass plays before they get behind. Play calling would benefit Jeff the most. Not putting him in impossible situations on every series.
  4. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,292
    To me, not running half of the passing plays out of a rollout with Driskel is just plain stupid. If Driskel stays in the pocket, and the defense knows where he will be in 5-6 seconds, then the play is much more likely to be blown up. Roll Driskel out. If he doesn't see anything, he can run and pick up good yardage. It will keep the defense honest. Have a WR fake a reverse in the opposite direction as his rollout, and make the defense respect that option. Have an occasional throwback screen to the WR if no one is covering it. Open up the offense, and gear to the QB's strengths.
  5. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Watch the Eagles game, that's the pro style offense we need to use with Jeff.
  6. VandyGator13

VandyGator13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +105
    +1. These are quick reads and athleticism. Driskel ain't going to be a Peyton Manning that looks at the defensive scheme and place is in the perfect play.
  7. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    x2
  8. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    This! I sure hope Muschamp and Pease are watching the Skins/Eagles game right now.
  9. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Jeff should not be sitting in the pocket making multiple progressions. He can't do that. He should be a 2-read QB that takes off when the play isn't there.
  10. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    To Driskel's credit, I don't think I've ever seen him rattled. He seems to play with the same demeanor no matter what.
  11. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I have appreciated and enjoyed reading all the frank and honest discussion in this thread about the quarterback position.

The quarterback is an amateur, a young man playing for a scholarship. I have a question about the coaching staff, the grown men getting paid to do a job.

From reading this thread, it appears that a consensus has started to form among Gator fans regarding the abilities of our starting quarterback. To be diplomatic, let's just say most of us have become more conservative in our expectations regarding that position this season.

However, we have formed or changed our expectations based on a relatively small sampling of offensive plays in the games that we've seen. Theoretically the coaches must have been seeing a LOT more on the practice field of the same things we have now seen on the game field.

That's why I respectfully disagree with the folks who seem to want to put all the blame for our difficulties on the QB and are absolving the coaching staff of responsibility.

My question is, given that we do have talent and SPEED at the wide receiver and other skill positions, why aren't the coaches doing more to capitalize on the quarterback's strengths and find ways to get the ball to potential playmakers in open space?

If I'm not mistaken our recruiting classes have been consistently ranked in the top five for several years in a row. So if you think of our coaches as cooks in a restaurant, they have been given some nice bags of groceries. Okay, maybe one of the ingredients didn't turn out to be quite as flavorful as it was advertised. But a great kitchen staff would work around it and figure out a way to feed us. In fact, that's the very ability that would make them a "great" kitchen staff.
  12. gatorchamp27

gatorchamp27 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I agree with this post. I can no longer honestly say that Driskel is the primary person to blame for his big game blunders. At some points in time you got to know what your working with. I believe in BIG games that Jeff is more effective as a runner first. He can still have the same number of passes but we have to utilize his ability to move. He looks more comfortable on the move in these games.
  13. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Watching Jeff sit back in the pocket gives me the same feeling as watching Leak run the option did-- it could work, but it just looks and feels unnatural to the point that you both hold your breath and feel sorry for the player that coaches put them in this situation in the first place.
  14. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    The read option worked against Miami-why didn't they run it more?
  15. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    It works against everyone. Who knows? Everyone seems to be putting most of the blame on Driskel, but Pease did a terrible job calling plays in the Red Zone imo. He did not set Jeff up to succeed in those situations.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    JD apparently hurt his knee at some point in the game... they might have been trying to protect him.

But they should have attacked the edges more, one way or another. Miami loaded up to stop the run between the tackles. Almost every time we hit the edge we picked up 7 yards or more.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Yes, he got hurt. Driskel not being able to run completely changes the dynamic of what this offense can do. Pease should have been a bit more creative with how to attack them deep in their own territory. Penalties also didn't help.

You know, I was never a fan of Purifoy making a switch to the offensive side of the ball for more than a few plays per game. It was interesting that he was never once given a shot to see what he could do with the ball in his hands at points when we struggled to move the ball deep in Cane territory. Why not at least try to see what Westbrook, Thompson and/or Taylor can give you in the passing game?

Any loss is going to leave you with burning "what ifs", but you really walk away from a game like that feeling like more could've been done.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    Agree.

But also if we just execute what we did call, we're in much better shape. JD hits the easy TD pass, then the next pick never occurs. Kick a FG on 4th down. Or at least call a timeout when they've got numbers on us on the line.

Easy to 2nd guess after the fact, and I'd like to see a couple of play makers identified for the red zone. But that game was easily winnable just executing what we had called.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +292
    Disagree with #3 and #4. His progression and vision have clearly improved. He will occasionally lock onto Quinton or Burton but it's nothing like it was last year.

He does have more touch on his throws than the OP gave him credit for. He's guilty of some overthrows but more than the average starting QB?

As far as his legs go, they've been the most underutilized asset to our offense since he became the starting QB. I understand he's not the machine Tebow was and virtually indestructible, but a quarterback who can break one like he can doesn't have to be caged all the time. And for a mobile quarterback, you're right; he's too much of a statue in the pocket. He has to make the pass rush work more to get to him.
  20. dkh

dkh New Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I always thought the 49ers with Kaepernick would be the best NFL O for us to emulate.