1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    One thing that really bothers me about Jeff, is his refusal to just throw the ball away. Chris Leak was a master at this, and I believe this is an asset. If it's not there just get rid of it. A previous poster remarked that Grossman had "it", but Leak did not.

I think leak gets a bad rap.....still.

I know leak had enough of "it" to win my school it's 2nd natty. That's right! Leak did that, not Tebow.
  2. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,035
    And we're a lot like the 2011 Broncos.
  3. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    Our outstanding defense is the only thing that kept us in the game today. If our offense does this against LSU, UGA, USCe, or FSU, we'll get run outta the stadium. Face it, folks, our offense is not that good, period. Driskel is better than Brantley was, but he is not going to lead us to a National Championship.
  4. keefer

keefer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,122
    Jeff has all the tools PHYSICALLY. However, l believe this staff does a very poor job of putting him into position to use those physical tools and causes Jeff to have to rely on his craneal capacity, which is NOT one of his assests.
    Trying to make JD a pure drop back type passer and only letting him throw it on obvious passing downs for fear of a turnover is doing him a great disservice IMO. His running ability is every bit as good as Tebow, yet we rarely run any designed plays to capitalize on it. Cutting this kid loose and letting him be himself will take some of the mental aspect out of the equation and put more pressure on the defense. Right now opposing defenses know when we are most likely to throw and adjust their D accordingly.
    I am not smart enough to sit here and give you specific plays, all l know is what l see. While Jeff is no Cam Newton, he is certainly not a Tom Brady either. I do believe, however, that the less he has to think, the better he can be. Doesn't matter how many tools you have if your not allowed to take them out of the tool box.
  5. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Coming from a rival fan this might sound disingenuous, but Driskel looked better than I've seen him look in other games. The difference between a great game and a game in which he's being blamed was - give or take - 5 plays. And yes, those plays have to be made (or not made for the other team) but my point was for the majority of the game I saw a QB take huge hits but deliver balls on the money. I saw a QB that made the correct read and throw most of the time. I didn't see that from Driskel in previous years.

QB's get the praise and the blame so it's par for the course that people will rip Driskel for his mistakes, but watching the game, I kept commenting how the OL was throwing off the rhythem with so many untimely penalties. Almost always after Driskel completed or pass or when the team was in 1st and 10 and now they had to get the yardage back.

I saw a run game that is usually really effective, struggle with both of the starting backs averaging less than 3 yards a carry. I saw two skill players fumble the ball when the offense was surely about to get points.

I'm a rival fan so I'm not invested in hoping that Driskel becomes great, but again watching the game, I thought he was closer to that than he's been up to this point. He made some silly mistakes but I thought the other segments on the offense were more inconsistent than he was. Driskel will be criticized for the fumble late in the 4th but the OT on that play was abused. Losing your LT will affect most QBs on obvious passing downs. I don't know how much of that I fault Driskel for.

Anyway. I think Miami is going to have a nice season. 9...maybe 10 wins if they get to the ACCCG. I don't think they are as bad as they are being portrayed. At the end of the season it might simply be an early season road loss to a top 20 team. I know it seems to make UF fans more angrier when they lose to non-SEC teams, but I honestly just don't think a road loss to likely 9-10 win Miami and bowl loss to likely number 1 overall pick Bridgewater and Louisville is that damning.

Back to Driskel, I think his progression has come to a point where he can make big plays with his arm and legs; he simply has one more obstacle to overcome and that's the bonehead play. He seems to be in command of the offense from 20 to 20 and that's much better than what I saw from him earlier.

UF has to get that power running game back on track though. I really think Taylor could be big time. I wonder how far along he is in knowing the playbook/blocking? All I know is the run game has to be better than the top 2 backs averaging 2 yards a carry. Bama and McCarron would go down if that happened with Yeldon and co, and it's no different with Driskel and UF. That was really the difference imo, despite the few bad plays from Driskel.

2 cents.
  6. Nubla

Nubla Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    I think people overestimate Driskel's running ability. He has wheels - when he has a full head of steam. I don't think he is that quick to accelerate to full speed. He is a good straight line runner, not so sure he can cut as well as some may think.
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    Agree with a lot of that but I think the Canes will get smoked in Tally and 10 games are unlikely unless they get a bunch of turnovers in every game.

As for Driskell, wildly inconsistent today. Missed several wide open receivers, a couple of poor tosses on the option and there are the obvious turnovers, but he did make several nice throws which I wasn't expecting. There is still hope.
  8. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    The 2012 Gators were anyways. I don't think this one will be.
  9. LanceT

LanceT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    I just find it amazing that after Tebow left, they have been ass out at the QB position. Especially one that can "rally" a team and make the plays when needed.

Just seems like every other program can develop a QB to give them a chance, but our O regresses
  10. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Gators Fan Advocate VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,229
    For me, he just doesn't have "It".
    Quite frankly, I have never seen "It".
    I just don't see anything in Driskel to make me think things will ever get much better.
    If I am right, it is going to get quite expensive, because ultimately, the coaches will have to own "It".

11. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +949
    Driskel is just someone you keep hoping the lights turn on for because his physical gifts are so obvious. But I agree that he's never really shown to have a great natural feel for the game the great QBs do.

Even though he was a freshman and it was his first game and he didn't play that great, I knew Manziel was gonna be a good QB based on his instincts when we played them last year. I didn't think he would be great so soon though,
  12. swampgator89

swampgator89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I completely agree. Leak won us that 2nd title.. I love Tebow, but the 2nd NCs was all Leak.
  13. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    JD needs competition. How I the h*** did a school like UF get in this QB situation. With essentially no backup. Sometimes a benching does wonders for motivation.
  14. LanceT

LanceT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    Urb's back up came in and didnt miss a beat....others schools as well
  15. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Meyer is a good recruiter, and that's why I'm concerned for our program. I just don't hear of Muschamp going after top offensive players, just defense. I never believed Muschamp was the man for the job, and I still don't. I'm afraid that next season Muschamp will be on the hot seat, and will leave our program with little to no offensive talent. It may be another few years AFTER Muschamp leaves before we can even think about being competitive again.
  16. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Terry Dean
  17. Setsuna00

Setsuna00 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    Alright I'm all over this. So is it true Jeff is going to try and play both baseball and football?
  18. Moorespeed

Moorespeed New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I agree
  19. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    He played at a crap HS program and never received any real coaching until he got to UF. Of course, his first season in Gainesville was under the tutelage of Weis and its pretty obvious that very little teaching went on.

Last year, he lacked viable WR threats (and they had no legit coaching at that position). After UGA, he hasn't seemed to progress at all.

Chris had more awareness and poise late in his freshman year than Driskel has now. And...Leak had to deal with multiple offensive coordinators and coaching instability.

I'm not sure we're going to see a whole lot of improvement here. I think the staff is very aware of what they have and are going to try to either get what they can out of him or try to take the game out of his hands as much as possible.
  20. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,145
    Man I am with you. Blaming Pease for Driskel's horrible passing is ridiculous. Driskel missed receiver after receiver, or threw the ball behind the receivers forcing them to make circus catches. He is responsible for what went wrong; Pease called plays that got our receivers open and put us in position to win handily, Driskel just couldn't execute.