An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    There were like 2 consecutive 3rd downs where he had an open receiver in the flat and didn't even look that way and chose to dangerously throw it up the middle.
  2. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Fair discussion. Maybe the staff should encourage a bit more improv. He had Dunbar wide open for a TD on an option keep play but didn't pull the trigger. The premium at fFlorida is to not make mistakes bc of the great D. Maybe this mentality is hurting his development, but it worked to the tune of 11-1 last regular season. In Jeff's defense he made some awfully good throws today stepping into pressure.

I'm not sure how to address the ridiculousness of the 'it' factor discussion. Rex had "it" but gave away a National Title with a couple of meltdowns. Leak didn't have it but led Florida to a title.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  3. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    See, I don't feel this way yet.

We have a talented roster on offense, filled with highly ranked WR's, Offensive Lineman, and RB's. If you don't have a good QB, a lot of those positions aren't able to make a visible impact, and I think that's what is happening here.

I actually liked most of the playcalling (offensively, at least) today, and I wish we had emulated it against Toledo. This was the first game in a while we needed Driskel to be able to throw and make good decisions, and he failed. That doesn't mean I think that will be the case every time, but it's a pretty big reason why we lost. You go down the checklist, and the only thing I can really see is that we didn't get much yardage in the run game up the middle. Everything else (receiving, option play, defense, special teams) was good to great. QB play was not.
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +793
    If someone told you JD would go for 300 yards passing throwing 33 times completing 67% of them and we have the ball 40 minutes and holding Miami to 200 yards of offense, most would predict a 31-10 score for UF.

Pease consistently puts the O in bad positions with stupid ass calls. For now, he gets the blame. He better protect his brand. He will be on no one's short list for oc or BBC with performances like this.
  5. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Good athlete--average qb
  6. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Unfortunately, we can't look at last season and hope to emulate. We had a tremendous amount of good variance on our side, and if you look at any of my prior posts to today, I said just as much. This is our return to the mean. I don't think we will have a losing record or anything like that, but I also don't think we will go undefeated from here on in.

Our coaches -- for better or for worse -- manage the game to be as short as possible. When you do that, you have less time for your talent to take over. We are going to be more likely to beat great teams, and less likely to avoid upsets because of just that.
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,345
    ok? That's two plays. I don't think perfection is a reasonable standard. But he is clearly going through his progressions far better than he was last year.
  8. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +538
    Hopefully he improves in a hurry, because we are stuck with him for 2 years.
  9. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering our staff gave our playmakers 49 minutes to make plays. The return to the mean talk is irrelevant. What mean? I there some type of law the dictates what a teams TO ratio will be over the course of a season? 2? No.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Holy crap? Is this a necro-thread from preseason? It's like you guys didn't see and weren't at the game.

Red zone misses wide ass open Dunbar in the end zone. Next play? Pick into triple coverage.

Later? Missed wide ass open Dunbar for 6, goes underneath to Patton. Drive ended zero points after INT to a Trey Burton who wasn't even looking.
  11. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I'll be calling for Staver or Grier by then unless Jeff develops in a hurry. The thing that puzzles me most about Jeff is his wild inconsistency. Hangs onto the ball with all the time in the world on 1st down until the pocket collapses and he gets hit, but then on 2nd down throws a 20 yard strike with a lineman in his craw.
  12. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I think this game forced the hands of Pease/Muschamp. Early on, it looked like we were going to have to score every other possession to win. By the time it was clear our defense was dominating, we still needed to lengthen the game up as much as possible.

And sure, I'm not arguing our team got "lucky" last year, or at least that isn't my intention. You force TO's and you don't make TO's, that's a skill that is possessed, and not really variance (but the other team making good/bad decisions is over the course of one game). But we were dominating that stat last year to the point that I knew we would be lucky to do the same thing this year -- and that's exactly what we needed to do to go 11-1 again. Does that make sense?
  13. albodmd

albodmd Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    JD's decisions in the redzone were terrible. Throwing into the middle in triple coverage and wide when the receiver wasn't looking. Yes, playcalling is partially to blame and the wr on the wide throw should have been deeper, but our qb needs to recognize that and make adjustments.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,035
    Great example of the Gator fan mindset.

Dazzler was the OC (in name only)

Muschamp is the head coach. Pease is the OC...
  15. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    I know this may be crazy, but we have one of the best D's in the country. I would make at least two practices a week live, to help with some of the timing issues that Driskel has. It may help, then again it may end up with Driskel getting his head knocked off. I didn't see all the game but man that 2nd half was painful to watch.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +538
    Staver is not going to be any better. He looked pretty bad at times in HS (I watched one of his games on ESPN). Grier could be special, but not sure if we want to force him in as a freshman.
  17. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,049
    I'll agree with the IT factor, I'm all for stats based analysis but there is a certain something that a great player needs, something that means the difference between a physically gifted mediocre qb and a weak armed one who can put the ball in the perfect spot, I also don't think it's something a coach can always fix.
  18. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    If the play calls were executed competently today, I'm not saying perfectly but competently, we win and probably win big. That's why I don't get everyone's issues with Pease.

A lot of people don't like a 3 yard gain but it was more than good enough today if we don't turn the ball over in scoring position. A lot of that is on Driskel as some here have pointed out. Pease/Muschamp don't require a lot from Driskel - just don't make dumb ass mistakes and he did today.
  19. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    If you guys are banking on a true freshman QB named Grier to come in and start next year and lead us to the promise land, you're dreaming.

A true freshman that is inexperienced will not beat out senior Driskel.
  20. BengermanV

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Nor should we hope he does so. Driskel has a butt load of potential that is probably going to be tapped into at some point. We just have to hope it's here, and not in the NFL.