An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    If anyone followed Driskel's recruitment, they would know he came to campus severely behind schedule. I won't guy into that much detail, but suffice it to say his mechanics, understanding of the game, pocket presence, etc., were all well behind his physical attributes. Furthermore, he was brought in for an entirely different scheme and we have adapted a ton of what we do now to him, from the zone read elements to the sprint option to the moving pocket.

No, he doesn't throw the deep ball well and he doesn't have great pocket awareness, but as far as an "honest Jeff Driskel discussion" is concerned, what exactly is the goal of such a thread? To bash the kid? What are you hoping to accomplish? If some of you were so perspicacious in your criticisms, it seems a little perfunctory to do so now, especially when he has improved ostensibly in various areas with the help of any playmaking around him.

He is our only legitimate quarterback, there were no better alternatives for us in the last two classes, he beat out Brissett and was better than him in their respective opportunities, and for all his warts has improved tremendously since this time last year. Outside of about four plays against Miami, he was phenomenal. Unfortunately, those plays mostly came in the redzone and cost us points.

And for all the griping from the "throw it deep" crowd, it should be patently obvious that what we have done in the last few years is try to develop an offense that is less quarterback dependent, in part to reduce the burden on Driskel and in part to free him up to do some things he can do very well, like run or improvise in the pocket. But when your quarterback is your best playmaker and you aren't running some form of a veer or spread offense, then he will have a hard time impacting games positively because teams key on him at will.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,352
    As usual, great post.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    If he stayed would muschamp bench driskel .& play jacoby ?
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    Would Jacoby have beat out Driskel is the question
  5. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +586
    If Jacoby won the starting job, it wouldn't be long before Driskel would be starting.

There's no way to put it nicely. Last year's offensive line would have got Jacoby hurt.
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    1. having a ready insight into and understanding of things.

I had to look it up :)
  7. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Lot of meat on this bone, good post.

To all the critics:

I know you don't want to hear this, but until the UF roster is Muschamp's recruits from redshirt senior to true freshmen, you need to be patient.

Many of the offensive players we're working with were recruited for the other system, and anytime you have a transition there's an impact recruiting-wise and attrition -wise that simply takes more than two years to overcome.

Driskel is improving and we are going to see what his ceiling is, I can't say that those who think Driskel at his best won't be good enough to win this league are wrong, wish I could.

But you can tell that football is important to him, no one wants to win for UF more than him, so let the guy work and improve, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the end of the day.

But complaining about the QB even when there is no other option on the roster, when the WR talent is still not top notch, when UF is already playing with 4 starters on the OL out or injured...

I don't get it, what's the point?
  8. SailinGator

SailinGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    I'm really struggling to understand how you can make such an assertion. If you are referring to his HS highlights, I probably agree. But in D1 football, JD has not shown any of us that he is in fact our best playmaker.

And to the poster who asked about the point of this thread, I think the title speaks for itself. As hard as it may be sometimes, we all support JD but that doesn't mean we can't have a dialogue about his challenges.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    who is our best playmaker on offense then?
  10. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    This is a great question, we have no play makers, where are all the wonderful recruits we've gotten under Munch???? Right now the jury is out on just about everyone in this program:sad:!!!
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    Part of it is Meyer and part of it is Muschamp. The best players on D this year have been Easley and Powell both guys Meyer brought in because it takes time for players to mature . Meyer did a bad job with offensive evaluation and recruiting in the end. Muschamp missed on WR's in 2012.