An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    JD is a very talented athlete who has not been coached to use the talents he has. He has a strong arm and terrific wheels.....but the coaches want him to be a pro style drop back QB. Sorry....he's not that kind of player. Let him roll out and run if his primary receiver is covered. All the "experts say that you cut the field in half if you roll your QB out. Sorry, but I disagree! JD has the arm strength to pull up and throw a 50 yard rope to the other side of the field if that is where an open receiver is. Let's stop tearing this kid down and hope the coaches can adjust to using him where his talents can make him successful.
  2. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    He is the kind of player that can throw the ball 60 yards while he is running towards the sidelines. He is the kind of player that can run for 40 yards against the most talented of his peers. I will never forget watching this video. I knew we had a winner coming our way. Take advantage of his talent and we should be putting up 40 on every opponent.

http://youtu.be/0IiFTvh2JFg
  3. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Just saw one compare Spurriers O with the one Woody Hayes ran. Now that is a hoot.

We are not Bama either. The state of Florida has ten national titles in the last thirty years, and it wasn't because of ground and pound. We passed first and scored points and changed the game that way, not by keeping it close when we should be four td's up.

Florida has skill and going to cave man ball isn't what got us those ten titles.

Either way, the Goff version is the problem. Give me the fun and gun back any day, it won titles and beat Bama.
  4. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I'd love the fun n gun too but at this point, I'd settle for even a balanced offense.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    alabama also throws deep on first down, runs naked boots, throws to the tight end and runs corner routes and slants---things fla does not do.
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +954
    Could some of you 'Brissett apologists' explain to me how he was never given a fair shot?

Was he not allowed to practice? Did he not start several games in his career here? Did he not look just as bad, and even worse than Driskel?

I swear some of you just can't get over the fact that you picked the wrong QB and instead of just manning up and admitting you were wrong, you decided to take it out on Driskel in a feeble attempt to prove that you were right all along.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,346

Selective memory
    for some of those said "apologists".
  8. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    IMO, Driskel is more athletic and throws with more velocity than Brissett. Brissett has a better touch and is more accurate, and also more pocket awareness than Driskel. If we could have combined the two, we would have had a Bridgewater.

I understand why Boom picked Driskel. Our Oline gave up 36 sacks last year. Driskel had a better chance of success considering his running ability and our porous Oline. Count me as one, in light of some of the high turnover games, as not being sure we made the right choice long term. At some point JD is going to have to perform at a high level under pressure and win some games passing the ball. He can still prove himself to be a really good QB, but it's up to him.
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    I say we sprint him our to the right when we face a strong rushing attack team. Driskel can throw a good ball when he's moving to his right side. Did you see the FSU game when he moved to his right and then threw the ball to his left (not a smart place to throw it) but it worked quite well. He does have the arm strength to for it, and it beats getting sacked. Tebow did it all the time and it worked for him too.

Move the freaking pocket if the line can't block the blitz. Third and long should always be a sprint pass, because you know the defense is going to blitz.
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Brissett apologist here. I always thought that Brissett, in the few times that we got to see him, looked more comfortable on the field and more aware of what was going on around him.

I would love to see Driskel have more success, but even Driskel supporters should be able to look at his body of work so far and see that he has had below average production. He has great potential, but hasn't fulfilled it yet. I hope that he does. If he was fulfilling that potential, none of the Brissett supporters would be wondering what would have happened if we went the other way. As it is, the thing that appears to be holding Driskel back is something that Brissett had already conquered, and so we wonder if another year of coaching would have given Brissett the knowledge of the offense (and a better OL) to do more on the field.
  11. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,040
    For a one-man blitz (five rushers), the best answer is a running back who can block.

A well-executed screen is usually the best answer to a blitz with 6+ rushers. Unfortunately, I haven't seen UF execute a screen correctly in years.
  12. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Brissett could have stayed...... instead of choosing to leave.
  13. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +163
    They did run a middle screen to the TE against fsu last year that was effective.
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Pretty much this. JD has all of the tools, just needs to put it together on the field. He's a great kid who has done nothing but make us proud that he represents the University of Florida, but he still has some work to do as a quarterback.
  15. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,040
    I don't understand why an option offense (like what Tebow ran) isn't used more in our offense. Can Driskel run the option effectively? One of my favorite plays was when Tebow ran a reverse out of the option, with a WR flying behind the RB in the opposite direction--not until the WR receives the ball does the defense know where the play is going, because it looks like the pitch is going to the RB.
  16. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Saban has quite a few loses to that type of QB....Tebow 08,Cam 2010,Jefferson 2011,Johnny Football 2012.
  17. Setsuna00

Setsuna00 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    No1curr he should have been chosen over Driskel. That fact remains.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Gator Country
  18. hikenrunedugator

hikenrunedugator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    lack of a high skill qb, lack of o line, lack of receivers we had in the past...
    blah, blah, blah- no need to rehash this one to death.
    same old same old.
  19. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I agree... IMO, Driskel gave us the better chance of winning immediately last year but long term Brissett would have been the better option. We were still in a quasi spread last year but knowing we wanted to go to a traditional pro offense, Brissett is more of a fit.

With Driskel, the coaches need to play to his strengths. He is not comfortable in the pocket. He's getting better but move him a bit. Our offense seems to do well when we're in the read. Do more of that. Take more chances. Bama hit a flea flicker that was a great play at the right time. When is the last time we tried a flea flicker? I'm trying to remember us even running a reverse of late? Very stale play calling probably makes Driskel look worst.

20. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    I'm pretty certain the coaching staff didn't want to go through another 6-6 season last year so that they could have a better Brissett this year and next. For Brissett's health and future, the staff made the correct decision. Our offensive line would have gotten Jacoby killed last season, and they don't seem to be greatly improved in pass protection this season either.

So, if you decide to go with the guy who has wheels, you better let him use them. The last coaching staff (as bad as they were in 2010) was able to win games with Trey Burton and Jordan Reed taking snaps, so why can't this one do what is necessary to help this limited quarterback reach his potential? I hope they have spent the last week off looking at what is truly possible with Driskel and throwing out things that he can't do.