An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,023
    Brock was not unsuccessful. In 2001, as a backup, his QB rating was actually higher than Rex's. In 2003, he had a solid first season at Miami, and in 2004, he shared ACC Offensive Player of the Year with VT's Bryan Randall...

(insert gratuitous ACC joke here...):grin:
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,023
    It's also the Woody Hayes 3.4 yards and a cloud of dust, Bear Bryant's 3.4 yards and a cloud of dust, Nick Saban's 3.4 yards and a cloud of dust, Frank Beamer's 3.4 yards and a cloud of dust...and for that matter, Steve Spurrier's 3.4 yards and a cloud of dust...
  3. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Bryant-6 NC
    Hayes-5 NC
  4. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    the U's 2013 defense is average--UF made them look good with a bad game plan and a bunch of turnovers
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,023
    We don't know that yet...
  6. keypox

keypox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    all those players were not in the 2011 class
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,727
    JFF and Bridgewater were.

I don't think anyone was disappointed we got Driskel, but lots of folks around here thought highly of Teddy... with good reason. Obviously.

I don't think Manziel was on our radar, but that's not too surprising for a short Texas kid.
  8. g8r2012

g8r2012 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Actually, they were.
  9. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I didn't do the research......there's a article on Gator sports saying all 3 were in the 2011 class.
  10. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Just want to say, thank you to the posters who brought up Ingle Martin. Sorry to say I'd forgotten about him for awhile. He was a pretty solid player. Versatile and dependable if unspectacular, like a Trey Burton "What do you need, Coach?" type.

Funny how some guys have that kind of athletic talent where they're not necessarily great at any one thing but they're consistently above average at a bunch of different things. Like a decathlete.
  11. dfranks13

dfranks13 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    All of you Jeff Driskel apologists are killing me. This kid is a redshirt Junior who enrolled early so he was in school the spring before his freshman year. There are true and redshirt freshmen QB's who are head and shoulders above Driskel and it's not even close. Let's face it, the coaches hitched our wagon to the wrong pony when they opted not to give Brissett a fair shot and he went elsewhere. If the shoe were on the other foot and Brissett were performing as poorly in his redshirt Jr. year as Driskel is this year, you all would be crucifying him. Chris Leak never performed this poorly and folks were ready to run him out of town. One poster said he wasn't a real QB his first 2 years on campus but I recall him leading us to a win on the road against number one LSU his true freshman year, the year they won the title and it was their only loss that season. Maybe Driskel is our best option but I don't know how we can decisively reach that conclusion when no one else has even taken a snap. If the light switch hasn't come on by now, it's not going to, we've seen slow to no improvement in the areas that matter in two seasons. What good is it to throw for 200 plus yards if you can't score in the redzone and the 200 yards came in his most recent game, all of the games before that were putrid as far as passing the ball goes. He has more turnovers than TD's, just think about that for a moment...and he's a redshirt Jr! I don't care how many excuses you want to come up with, the bottom line is our QB isn't very good and he's not getting any better. He's making the same mistakes he made last year and worse. With our defense we don't need a Heisman candidate, we just need a solid QB who manages the game and doesn't turn the ball over...obviously that's not what we have.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    No he is a true junior. I am, by no means, a Driskel apologist. However, I find fault in this putrid offensive scheme. I think he would be very good in a spread system which relies on the read option.
  13. dfranks13

dfranks13 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I would tend to agree with you nortonis about Driskel being better in a spread system, unfortunately our coaches run a pro style offense and they've chosen a spread QB to run it. We can all see the results of that decision...even more disappointing is that I see it only getting worse now as they try to limit the turnovers by becoming even more conservative in their play calling. We thought there was limiting vertical passing before, we may not see another 10 yard or longer pass play all season.
  14. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Except for the fact that he never redshirted, your post is the most accurate I have read. Thank you.
  15. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I totally agree and am less excited about watching Gator football than I've ever been in the last 20 years because of it. Isn't it ironic that we have a spread QB playing in a pro style system who succeeded a pro style QB playing in a spread system.
  16. jrbobbitt1

jrbobbitt1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Yes, JD athletic skills could be better utilized in a different scheme. However, the scheme is not the bottom line issue. There are common denominators in all schemes. Pocket awareness, decision making, taking care of the ball/not fumbling, not throwing interceptions, reading defenses and passing accuracy. If a QB doesn't master these he will not be successful no matter what the scheme.
  17. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    High school rankings don't take these intangibles into account. As the best athlete on the field in pretty much every high school game he played, Jeff was able to completely rely on his physical talent to overcome anything an opponent threw at him.

The coaches have to try to take as much of the game out of Driskel's head as possible. They have to get back to taking advantage of Jeff's physical attributes. I remember Scott Loeffler trying to turn Tebow into a NFL QB so he could have a better chance in the league. The end result was a disappointing senior season, where Tim was thinking too much and getting dropped on his rear end often.

They are not going to be successful trying to make Driskel into Teddy Bridgewater.

Let Jeff do what he can do best.
  18. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,175
    Alabama players are coached to not fumble the ball, or throw INTs. The type of offense only matters in that it helps if your players are suited to it (which Driskel is not). Not making mistakes is on the coaching staff, and they are overwhelmed just with getting our players to understand what play is being run.
  19. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Precisely, it caused my own suspicion that the coaches should not have inserted pro pass offense scheme into spread offense-type players which they aren't designed for it in the first place. What they should have done is to adjust to it gradually over in time by time when the next recruits whoever fit into pro pass offense system.

To add it along with JD, the dual threat they must adjust to his own strength, not for him to adjust into their own. That's pretty obvious. Hope that it's time for them to realize it and not to push it.

I really believe that we should use 3-back wildcat more often just like those on 1988 national champions... it would work out better with our great backs and JD while they can pass whenever. Notice that we just use one running back with JD along way too often which it made much easier for the defense fronts by the way.

Like some said that Meyer really left us a mess, I then realized too. But what we can do at this timing but adjusting, not pushing it yet use wildcat system considerably more. What you think?
  20. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,046
    If we scored bunches of points, like have in their "dynasty", nobody would really have a problem.