An Honest Jeff Driskel Discussion

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Sep 7, 2013.

1. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    I think a lot of people were sort of chastised for their criticism of Jeff Driskel last season and after Toledo. This isn't a "Hah! We were right!" kind of deal, but I do think at this point, most everyone is going to be more open to discussion about just how good he is. That said, I want to bring up my own feelings on the Gator QB, and why I don't think he's good enough to lead us to a similar season as last year. My reasoning:

1. Driskel lacks awareness

I think people tend to throw awareness off the side of the boat in these kinds of discussions because it isn't really quantitative. It's pretty clear at this point that Driskel has little to no awareness in the pocket (and even outside of the pocket), and that's really hurting the team.

My theory was more or less proved today when we were down 5 points with about 25 seconds to go. The ONLY thing you do not do in that situation is wait until you get sacked. Given the situation, it would be much smarter to just hurl the ball forward, or even toss it in someone's general direction. There were a few other times today (the 1st and 2nd INT's come to mind) where it was clear that he hadn't thought to himself "Okay, what is the plan here? What do I do if X happens?". Those are the questions a QB needs to be thinking about pre-play (don't make panic throws in the red zone, etc.).

2. He doesn't use his legs to his advantage

This is something that is more of an error on the coaches than it is Driskel. For someone who runs so well -- and after today, I don't think anyone would question how talented of a runner he is -- he fails to escape pressure. In fact, he usually doesn't move from his position in the pocket. Make them keep a spy on you, and it makes the passing game easier.

3. No touch on the ball

There were numerous times today where Driskel fired the ball to a player less than five yards away, which would either lead to a drop or to the player having to slow down to catch the ball. He has to learn to put the ball in a WR's hands in stride, and let them do the work. Overall, I was impressed with our WR's open field ability today. Let them do some of the work for you.

4. No progression

Perhaps the most noticeable thing about watching Driskel is that he focuses in on one WR the ENTIRE play. Unless the Offensive Line gives him ample time, he refuses to take his eyes off of a single receiver, which not only limits big play potential, but it leads to turnovers.

5. Doesn't have "It"

As a stats geek, it always annoys me when people say "he just doesn't have the "IT" factor". What does that even mean?

In this case, I kind of get it. When the team needs a big play, it usually ends up in the other team making a big play. When Driskel is being rushed, it almost always turns into a sack. When a player is wide open in the endzone (AKA Dunbar), he misses the easy throw and TD. When there is a player wide open on his opposite side, he doesn't bother to look. When he desperately needs a score, he turns it over.

Conclusion:

I honestly believe Driskel has immense physical potential. He is our QB, for better or for worse, and he has the ability to change a lot of things listed above. It's going to be up to him as a QB. But as of right now, this is not a championship caliber QB.
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    As bad as jeff is, and our OC doesn't help, we have no backup. NONE
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Yep, he's the best option right now.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    I am with you regarding the so-called "IT" factor. For years, Gator fans on this board said Chris Leak had no "IT" factor -- right up to the time he hoisted the crystal trophy into the Arizona desert air. But your points are relevant, to be sure. Not sure what he is missing...
  5. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487
    Disagree totally on #4. He had that problem last year, but this year he is significantly better at going through his progressions. He is a little late to pull the trigger sometimes, but if you just watch his head, he's clearly reading the defensive coverage and finding the right WR.
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487
    I think his biggest problem is consistency. He hit some really nice passes today, and some really terrible ones.
  7. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    A fair point, Sean. I think it's still pretty subjective (hell, the whole argument is subjective), but I see a lot of guys wide open who aren't even getting looked at. That's a mixture of the O-Line being really shady at times, and Driskel not making his progressions. He was fine today outside of a few bad decisions that ultimately cost us the game.
  8. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I agree that he seems to be improved with his progression.

We were on the edge of breaking this game and maybe the pressure is what happened when he really started playing badly in the forth quarter. He regressed under pressure - you can want to win the game too much and start abandoning the little things. I hope that's what it was but the last play of the game was pathetic - probably good that it was so pathetic because he has to realize he has a lot of work to do.
  9. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Jeff is fine. Not elite but more than serviceable. Plays like a good freshman, just 1-2 years behind we expect from him.
    He played well enough for us to win. The coaches let us down
  10. gatornib

gatornib Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I think Jeff is an OK quarterback. He'd be in the upper third of QBs in the Big 10, and he's not in the bottom 4 QBs in the SEC. He holds on to the ball way too long, and that part does not appear to be fixable. We just have to plan for a lot of QB fumbles.

I think Pease puts Driskel in bad situations all the time. On a typical 2nd and 2 play, we give it to the RB. How about letting Driskel throw a pass when an incompletion doesn't hurt you so much?
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Driskel is all about potential. Has never been coached properly. His Hs team and coach were garbage. He was ranked #1 in the 2011 class based on potential.

At UF he has had 2 OCs and a mediocre QB coach.

He has zero awareness in the pocket and zero understanding of progression. SOS was the best at progressions with the 5 step drop:

Step 1: look at D and see if play is developing; be able to tell if play is busted from go.

Step 2: observe blitzers and primary WR. Glance at secondary WR.

Step 3: if primary WR en route to spot and no defender there waiting, get ready to fire.

Step 4: if primary WR not in place, look at secondary WR. Assess your other options.

Step 5: fire at primary or secondary WRs after having assessed in previous steps. If other options not viable to save play, throw the ball away or take off if you can make it.

That analysis became second nature under SOS.
  12. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Agree with you on the awareness issue. That first pick was a laughable bad decision. Shades of the end of the first half against UGA 2012. But as been said he is our QB and we just need to live with that
  13. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    I think Jeff's ranking was mostly due to his size/speed/athleticism. And while he seems to be able to make all the throws in a combine-type setting, his in-game decision-making really holds him back. Not saying he can't get better, but he didn't come to Gainesville with tremendous QB instincts. By instincts, I mean the things you rely on when a play breaks down and you are just doing what comes naturally.
  14. coldsteel120

coldsteel120 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    What bothers me with Driskel is his decision making. In our losses to Georgia, Louisville and now Miami he has made terrible decisions that have cost us dearly. Also his ball protection in the pocket is bad.
  15. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Driskel is a square peg in a round whole. Dazzler wanted JB top run the option and Muschamp wants JD to sit in the pocket. Brilliant!
  16. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Wasnt the first play in the Sigar Bowl a pick 6
  17. gatorzguy28

gatorzguy28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I agree with theGator. Can't get here fast enough. But in the meantime, I feel that most of the concepts are on point, at least as far as I can tell. QB's have to be smart with the football. Jeff isn't showing that he has the ability to play smart within himself. I play a lot of tennis and I can tell you when the bullets fly, you have to do what you do best. If you don't, you get beaten and badly. He is getting forced out of his game. It is up to him and Pease to get him back into his game where his ability can stop being a liability and start doing basic execution. What I find amazing is that teams like Oregon, A&M, seemingly FSU, stick in a young qb and they aren't having these types of growing pains. Why not? Why don't we have this ability? What are they doing that we aren't? I also think their offense may be more complicated so why can they pick this up and execute it and we have a 2 yr starter that can't figure out Miami's players vs. his own?
  18. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    He's not able to overcome the adversity on the field on a consistent basis.
  19. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    JD is good, but he's not the answer we need.
  20. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    He created a lot of the adversity on the field that happened today...