An Alabama's family experience with the ACA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Jan 4, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,872
  2. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    Did liberals really expect to get something functional and good from the guvmint?
    Are they really this stupid and gullible?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Yes, yes and oh HELL YES...
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. finorman

finorman Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Please be patient his is just the the first step. The next step will be to offer a "fix" that will effectively make a large percentage of people eligible for Medicare.
    Good luck trying to get in to see your primary care provider or ER then.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +648
    Government and customer service do not go together. And it's becoming moreso with corporations who live off of the government, unless you can understand the Indian accent after waiting an hour on hold.

CORRUPTION RULES!!!!!
  6. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Ain't that the truth. I was in a government office a short time ago. When I finally reached the receptionist to check in, I was amazed. She fingernails were AT LEAST 3-4" long, and it took her forever to type my information into her computer keyboard...

As is usually the case, I am sure that she was related in some way to someone in the management of this department. And protected by some union.
  7. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I wonder who she voted for? Most women voted for Odouche.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,678
    It doesn't matter whether or not it actually works as long as it "means well."
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +991
    Probably illegal to discriminate against fashion statements...
  10. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +991
    Here's your government service and medical privacy all in one:

49,000 Medicard cards mailed to wrong addresses

"North Carolina health officials said Friday that they had inadvertently disclosed the personal information of tens of thousands of children receiving Medicaid coverage, but were tight-lipped about precisely what caused the massive privacy breach.

"The state Department of Health and Human Services issued a written release saying that new Medicaid cards for nearly 49,000 children were mailed on Dec. 30 to the wrong people. The information on the cards includes the children’s names, Medicaid identification numbers, dates of birth and the names of their primary care doctors — personal medical data[​IMG] that is supposed to be tightly protected under federal law."

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2014/01/04/49000-nc-medicaid-cards-mailed-to-wrong-addresses/
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,654

Tip of the iceberg I'm sure...
  12. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Religious beliefs, IMO.
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,427
    3 years, hundreds of millions of dollars and most people are much worse off for it. 0care is a disaster
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,591
    Just took my daughter to the doctor yesterday. Normally, it's just a quick hello, is all the info the same, etc.

This time: Had to show my insurance card. They went to the system to verify what kind of coverage I had. Since I could see the screen and saw her entering codes, I asked her what the codes were. She said they're now required to enter codes for plans that have a newer date and large copays so they can look further into which ones are "regular" plans and which ones are "Obamacare" plans (her words, not mine). They also have to note from the insurance mainframe what all our copays and deductibles are, how long we've had the policy, etc, to show that we have an established plan. They do not accept Medicare. From now on they will be CHARGING (not billing like before) all deductibles UP FRONT before the doctors will even see the patients. If they overpay, they will get a credit for their next visit. Apparently, all the suburb doctors around here are doing this now. (emailed some old coworkers at a major group practice, and they confirmed this, too)

Once they figure out which carriers are most likely to be "Obamacare" plans, they will post notices that they no longer accept those policies and those patients will be out of pocket only or referred to other practices.

I made sure that she entered the same information into my son's file as well for later visits.

Incidentally - O-care/no insurance? I would've had to pay anywhere from $400-$600 (it was a sick visit and she had to have multiple things tested) UP FRONT before she was seen, and if there was anything extra that had to be paid before leaving. Imagine the look on a parent's face thinking they have a "free ride" with Obamacare only to find THIS out at their visit.

Now imagine the look on a parent's face that had a GOOD policy before and now is faced with THIS mess because their policy got cancelled.

Of course the ER is always an option. In last night's white-out conditions/blizzard conditions, it only would've taken an extra 40-50 minutes...before they closed the roads of course...

Like I've said, THIS (my husband's policy) is one of the few reasons I put up with living in this hell hole that is Buffalo/Western NY.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. finorman

finorman Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    This is one of the many reasons that those that believe that The ACA will result in better care or less ER visits live in a fantasy land.
    ER groups are readying themselves to handle the influx of more patients by creating fasttracks and flex tracks to accommodated patients who simply can't or won't go to a primary doctor. However these are not places where chronic problems like diabetes, hypertension and chronic heart disease can be managed, resulting in poor outcomes for patients.
  16. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,478
    Some of you should stop acting like you care about these anecdotal and dubious problem stories.

If ACA was working flawlessly and exactly as intended, you'd still be attacking it because you don't agree with it philosophically.

BTW, conservatives issued these same types of complaints when SS and Medicare started up, too. Those programs eventually got up and running with the snags being eliminated.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,591
    So next time I should violate all kinds of rules and get it on a recording, huh? Wait, you'd probably say that was staged o_O

ACA was never EVER going to work flawlessly. And I'm sorry, in what bizarre world is SS and Medicare working with "the snags being eliminated" when the system is so incredibly broken that pretty much no future generation will be collecting SS...and let's not forget the wonderful program Medicare has become.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    Curious, why weren't these type of threads ever existent about private insurers when they were dropping folks from their roles or denying coverage when it didn't meat their profit margins?
  19. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    There are plenty of things the Gov does well, and some things they don't do so well, no different then the private sector
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,478
    Because cons don't care about the deaths of thousands of consumers for the sake of corporate profit, which is the true altar at which they pray.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1