America's Poorest Cities-(citizens below poverty level)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jul 2, 2013.

1. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Are you saying that mentioning Obama is the same as making a comment involving race just because Obama is part black? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
  2. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +545
    Unless Christie tilts the $ scales too, how in the world is Trenton (NJ) rich? Oh, this ought to be good. Trenton was rich 50 years ago, but outside of fat white liberal lawyers who work in Trenton but live in PA, you won't find too much money there.
  3. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +545
    I believe this is the source of 108's list of ten richest cities: Yahoo Finance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-s-richest-cities-in-2013-211502789.html

The link includes a pic of a house that I highly doubt is in Trenton. The article conveniently incluedes the Trenton-Ewing metro area as belonging to Trenton. Why don't they just throw Princeton in there since its just a few exits up 95?

Trenton is a train wreck times ten, like all NJ cities of any significant population.
  4. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    I think the real issue is the opportunity for the middle class to move up financially. The old saying that " the poor marry the poor and rich marry rich" very true, but in the past people in the middle class had opportunities to move into the upper class. These are very limited now. We are starting to see this Darwinism of wealth classes more evident in these conditions. Poverty is expanding because of the loss of wealth in the middle class. Cities like Detroit which have high levels of poverty have expanded not only by wealth Darwinism but the reduction of the economic strength of the middle class. Corporations will never pay their share, neither will the lower class and rightly so. The focus should be on the middle class. So what strengthens the middle class? Well I believe it's tax reduction, a strong emphasis on small businesses, low fuel costs, and policies which enable our non tax paying corporations to hire. Obama seems to be loss in translation with this. He seems to think that he will be the guy that breaks the corporations. This is a pipe dream at best.
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    it's a type of social polarization that results in two wealth groups typically seen in third world countries and countries that have long term(decades long) dictatorships.

The 1% ultra rich and controllers of power,etc , the elimination of middle income layer, and increasing of the numbers in poverty. A few of the middle class make it to upper 1% while the rest fall into poverty. Another thing that typifies such nations is more and more advanced education(college and grad) becomes limited to the 1% and their children with minimal means for those in poverty to escape it.

integral to such two economic class systems is the power wielded by those in 1% who control industries/corporations. With that portion of the 1% working with 1%'ers in nation's govt to channel wealth to the 1%'ers.
  6. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +545
    Not to mention the large percentage of the 1% who are now living large off of the government in DC working as lobbyists.
  7. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Obtaining wealth used to be a very long process which taught generations of wealth builders within a family the importance of opportunity distribution to those under them. Now it seems wealth can be obtained in massive amounts in short time. Certain principals are lost when this happens. You see less giving, compassion and care towards the middle class from the wealthy. This maybe partly due to an increasing attitude of self centerism. This all trickles down the lower class my dad use to tell me that they teach all these principles of success in business school but teach little about the sustainability of wealth. Once the middle class vanishes so dos the upper, but a few of the extreme rich which we see in dictatorships.