America's New Military: Your Local Police Force

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ncbullgator, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
  2. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    we disagree on a lot of topics. On this I have pretty much the same point of view as you.

there are a lot of factors that contribute to this problem that you highlighted with the article you posted. This has been a frequent topic on this board in recent months.

1. With number of people entering military service, number of people being hired by TSA, border patrol, and other state and federal law enforcement agencies. Combined with increasing population of the country. Combined with number of illegal aliens, higher percent of people living in urban areas, etc. And you have an environment in which local police forces are having to compete with military and state/federal agencies for quality people to do law enforcement
    2. Sadly--supply of quality people to do law enforcement does not meet demand
    3. As a result local law enforcement(as well as other areas of law enforcement) are put in a position of having too few people doing law enforcement OR hiring people who are unsuitable for doing law enforcement
    4. some factors making a person unsuitable for doing law enforcement include any one or more of the following(as well as other negative factors)
    -----inadequately trained. These are people who haven't received formal education in law enforcement. Or who are bottom of the class in their formal education
    -----wannabee supercops- These are people who can best be summed up as being motivated for police work not by a desire to serve people. But they instead are bullies, etc who look on police work as a path to be able to be bully, have power, etc(hate to tell you but GZ was likely rejected from becoming a police officer because police identified this trait in him). These are people with the bully mentality more commonly seen in bouncers at a low budget bar.
    5. We see ads on TV for people to enter military, to enter medical field, etc. But do we see ads for people to get into law enforcement(other than the ads from internet schools)?
    6. In grade schools, junior highs, high schools what is taught as success in America is financial wealth, power, prestige(including academic prestige, athletic prestige, business prestige, political prestige/power,etc). The traits that make for superb police officers are simply not encourages, promoted, hyped in schools, media, society, today. Traits such as service to community(look at the mocking on this board of the position of community organizer), integrity, self sacrifice, honor, etc.
    7. Literally speaking, local police departments are hiring people who are definitely not suited for police work due to the scarcity of quality people available with the traits I mentioned. And it is a matter right now of police either having too few police on the force or having adequate numbers that unfortunately include 'bad cops'.

solutions---society realizing the importance of good cops. And then doing what it takes to create an environment in which more people will become 'good cops'. Emphasize the virtues of self sacrifice, service, honor, etc in schools. And stop giving too much praise to the vices of greed, lust for power, etc.

I teach local Hispanics(here in America legally to do farm work) the English language, civics, etc. And have done so for 25 years now. Many have become American citizens.
    And consider citizenship a great honor that they have a duty to repay in what ways they can. Majority entered U.S. military after earning citizenship. A few died honorably in combat. A number were severely wounded because of their willingness to fight for America in a foreign land. Combined with their attitude that they needed to prove themselves worthy of being American. A third of those who are veterans have entered public service here in Florida in one form or another-a number have become policemen, teachers, etc.

BTW---when in public they only speak English, even when only people present all happen to speak Spanish as well.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,039
    They need to quit feeding these crazy cops steroids. The rage these cops are getting from it is out of control.
  4. gregthegator

gregthegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    Our local POLICE firing range sounds like the Normandy Invasion some weeks...

All brand new ARMOR plated vehicles w/nascar motors...and deputies walking around in full body wear...

Camera's everywhere....and this is in THE stix mind ya....yet the county is 19 million $'s short.

Remember thou....resident C-in-C in DC wanted a civilian army to EQUAL the military...

Looks like that's ONE thing he WASN't lying about:ninja:
    • Like Like x 2
  5. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Just noticed this on clay co. officers, looks like they are geared up to ship off to the middle east.
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    They pretty much invaded a home in the Sarasota area and hit a woman doing her dishes with a lazer sight through her kitchen window. She got her own gun when she saw the guy in camo do this and almost got shot in her own home.

They were looking for a fugitive they found on the other side of town.

One tip and for some reason warrants are not needed and they can search each home no matter what. There were dozens of police and the occupants got handcuffed when they didn't open the door because no one showed any ID and they thought it was crooks. And almost shot.

The police said she shouldn't complain as they didn't shoot her.
  7. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    you have no protection against these raids by military type swat "teams" -- judges rubberstamp warrant requests, armed invaders shoot anyone in sight they "deem a threat" then cover it up later with some phony claim about they thought the victim had a gun. People die, police cover it up, courts do nothing.
  8. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    They were on live TV during the Boston Marathon house by house searches. A thousand wonders they didn't shoot each other when they put over a 100 rounds into the boat at the end.
    Out of control MORONS and gets worse every year. Most city governments are afraid of their unions and just keep funding them due to "free" stuff from DHS, no solution on the horizon that I can see, short of revolt by middle class.
  9. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

Never heard anything more about the earlier "firefight" in the day in broad daylight, in the neighborhood, where scores and scores of rounds were exchanged - at phantoms.
  10. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I remember that.
  11. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    The guy that wrote this has a great website.

I invite everyone to go there often
  12. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    City Commissions just need to slash their funding, but probably won't. Their cushy, accelerated retirement plans with big guaranteed COLA's are really stressing city budgets everywhere... see Detroit.
  13. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,070
    This is the new getting-out-of-a-speeding-ticket.

"Yeah, no doubt, I admit it, I was indeed washing my dishes while some escaped fugitive was on the loose in the same zip code. But I caught a break, they didn't even fire off a single round, just some mild roughing up and mental trauma. Just told me to watch my house work while unrelated events transpire miles away from me. Cool guys."
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,925
    sounds like it is time to vote out some judges
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,382
  16. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    Did you read the story? His door got kicked in by a gang of heavily armed thugs because he had a few marijuana plants. People died because the police were out of control.
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,382
    police overdid the entrance, no doubt about it. but would anyone have died had he not started firing at the police?
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    It is called home invasion and unless you know for sure it is cops, the first reaction is to shoot. Since he had something bad guys would like to take, the mindset is it isn't the cops.

Maybe a warrant in uniform, with two knocking on the door first, before you go all Rambo on a non violent crime.

Those into crime pick on the weak. The old, the very young, the female alone, the few against the many.

Those with guns, don't get picked on like those without as they are not the easy target that those without are. Even the many, avoid the one who can shoot back.
  19. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    GatorCop is one of my favorite guys on this site, so I don't want him to take this the wrong way...but...I cannot stand the police. This sh*t is ridiculous.
    And, no, I have never had a felony. Never had a misdemeanor. Never even had a speeding ticket.

If I am on the jury, it is going to be an uphill battle convicting this guy of jack squat.
  20. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    I always do.