American White Male - The New Discrimination

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wargunfan, Sep 17, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    But ftr I'm an underqualified WHITE manager, for a bit of a changeup. :)
  2. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Boss's child eh sport? :grin: What field?
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Former developer and entrepreneur, two companies acquired, now a COO.

My dad was a machinist.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    My co-founder and CEO is black, though, so you may have a point.
  5. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Not saying that there aren't very capable and talented Blacks and women in upper management positions. There certainly are. But there are definitely companies out there who have been pressured to promote women and minorities beyond their capabilities. The result has been something akin to quotas. In my case we would hire a woman to be a sales person in a very competitive field. She would flop as a sales person and next thing you know she's a sales "manager". Happened over and over. They never actually managed anything or anyone they were just "there". Eventually they were promoted to home office or left the company.
  6. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I think people get what you're saying, and I have no doubt it has happened. I can't prove it though. Do you have any evidence to support your allegation?
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Listen, I don't disagree with this. You said 75%. That part I find a bit ... off.
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    For every Gibbs on NCIS, you have two white males who are boobs that put up with Gibbs slapping them on the back of the head.

Gibbs still suffers from severe emotional trauma due to his wife and kid getting murdered, his time spent in the Marines, and spends all his time as a loner drinking whiskey and building a wood boat in his basement. He has no friends, no personal relationships, estranged from his family, and is a workaholic.

You think that is a strong white male role model? You are nuts.

I could go on but typing on a phone sucks.

Save the smart ass comments about white male whining. I didn't start the thread. Males are constantly being portrayed as boobs on TV. You may have one alpha male on the show, but that character is deeply flawed. Hardly a role model.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yeah, but this isn't new.
  10. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Anecdotal evidence is suspect and statistical studies are hard to find and are generally biased in the opposite direction. I have nothing to gain by sounding like a racist and a male chauvinist. But it is a true phenomenon; at least in my case. There are numerous others on Too Hot who have experienced the same thing. In my case it was not threatening to me as I was in sales not management. I was in control of my destiny so to speak. In sales you are paid on production and I never aspired to management. I turned down numerous offers of promotion to management for that reason and retired after thirty years with that company.
  11. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Yeah, I accept that. It is just as tough to prove something like this doesn't happen as it is to prove it does.
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I believe that your original claim was that these TV white men are "portrayed as buffoons", so this Gibbs is "flawed" argument seems to be a very separate critique. And I'm not sure this one is any better. I mean, "flawed" is the central theme of almost all characters played by Humphrey Bogart. And John Wayne's characters, Indiana Jones, and Han Solo certainly weren't known for their family oriented nature. Dirty Harry? That guy was a absolute sociopath. Rocky was a moron. Martin Riggs (Lethal weapon) sounds exactly like Gibbs. When exactly did we have these role models of which you speak?
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Well, if you cant find a suitable white male "role model" on TV, I guess you will have to turn to business, religion, politics and sports (i.e. pretty much any position of power and authority).
  14. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,920
    I agree that there has been some redefining of the issue here. Besides, nearly every story ever told, certainly every story worth reading/watching/hearing (buying), is about overcoming adversity by facing one's own limitations/flaws.
  15. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Much of this "debate" seems premised on the argument that a few TV shows from the 50s were/are the "norm" that was deviated from, rather than notable exceptions.
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    There is a good chance that this is true, but even if so, I'd wonder if this said more about the 50s than it does the 2010s.
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,367
    That is interesting. Here's a list of the 20 most popular shows of the 1950s. Lots of strong guys in there: Gunsmoke, Wyatt Earp, Bonanza, Rifleman, Perry Mason. Three of them had no family at all. The only two with kids had no wife. The three Cartwright boys were all single, even though some appeared to be pushing 40.
    Obviously the networks back then thought having a wife was not a good thing.

link
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +852
    I'm entirely sympathetic with some of the aims of Eagle Rising, but the group itself a Christian Dominionist organization and suspect in my mind. If Dominionists were to gain control of the government I don't think they would be content until the 19th amendment is repealed.

http://eaglerising.com/about-eagle-rising/

Eagle Rising was founded by Gary DeMar, who is also the head of American Vision, a Christian Dominionist/reconstructionist ministry. Their objective is to gain control of the U.S. government. They believe this is their God given right granted in the book of Genesis when God gave Adam and his descendents dominion over the world. As Calvinist Christians they believe they carry exclusive right to the dominionist mantle.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/people/gary-demar

Doug Phillips is the founder and director of Vision Forum which produces and sells Christian home school curriculum materials. All of these men support the Quiverfull agenda and believe women's right to vote should be rescinded. Or, if the wives and daughters in the movement do vote, they should vote only as their husband or father dictates. They also believe women should not work outside the home and single daughters should remain under their parents roof until married to a man selected and approved by their parents.

In a newsletter published by Phillip's Vision Forum some years ago he printed the article copied below. It came under a good deal of criticism and has since been removed from VF's archive. Before it was deleted it was copied and is available from other sources.

http://jensgems.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/vision-forum-god-does-not-allow-women-to-vote/
  19. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I don't know if it really says anything culturally about the 50s. It may say more about the medium of television, which was in its infancy at the time. You had a combination of very few networks, ad-revenue dependent programing, plus a high degree of government regulation of the airwaves. The growing popularity (and affordability) of TV, cable and deregulation changed the game, so the market can satisfy any desire. There's plenty of family friendly TV out there, along with not so friendly stuff.
  20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    Indeed it isn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]