American White Male - The New Discrimination

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wargunfan, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +797
    As a pro-life white male working in the social work industry, I've been told by an industry expert that I have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting a decent job. Discrimination is rampant in government funded institutions. My employer has had a male leader in its 40 year existence.
  2. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    You don't see a problem? Hell, black people have their own TV Network in BET, and shows with a majority black cast on major networks like TBS. What do we straight white males have? NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, HBO, Showtime? Sure, it seems like a lot, but have you watched those channels...the have shows where they make fun of straight, white males. Meanwhile, TBS has shows that glorifies straight black males like Tyler Perry's House of Pain.* It's nothing more than pure discrimination.

* full disclosure, I've never watched the show, but I'm sure it doesn't make fun of straight black males.
  3. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Thinking more of TV, not the childish characters in movies made for teenagers. For example, in "The King of Queens" Deacon (Black man) is portrayed as the level headed adult. Doug Heffernan (White man) is portrayed as the silly doofus. I realize this is a sitcom but the juxtaposition is evident. There are endless examples of this on TV. Could this be a Hollywood agenda or perhaps a compensation for the past when Black males were portrayed as stupid fools?
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    I do think that far too often, in books, TV ... the dad is portrayed as the doofus, as the big child, while the woman is the rock, the reasonable one who keeps it all together. But there's hardly any shortage of strong white guys in lead roles, either.
    I don't think it's anything new. I don't think it's directed at white guys. And I sure as hell don't think I am being discriminated against in any way.
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    I don't watch TV much, but is there any chance you are cherry-picking?

In the last 15-20 years I've seen the Sapranos, Breaking Bad, some of Mad Men (didn't like), and House of Cards. Pretty strong white males right there. From where I sit, TV is 100% dominated by strong white males.
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    In addition to obob's point (I mean, Jackie Gleason did repeatedly threaten to beat his wife), I think there are conflating factors here. Namely, TV shows respond to market forces, rather than government incentives - except for regulations of language, violence, and sex.

Now back to thinking if this hypothesis is even real. Here is a list of the most watched shows of the last year, with reality and sports shows removed. The ratings are listed, and then I've assessed them for whiteness, maleness, and buffoonishness of main character.

• 1. NCIS CBS 21.6 million - smart, capable white guy
    • 3. THE BIG BANG THEORY CBS 19.0 million - smart, smarmy white guy and smart, mousy geeky guys
    • 4. NCIS: LOS ANGELES CBS 17.5 million - smart, capable white guy
    • 5. PERSON OF INTEREST CBS 16.2 million - looks like capable whites guys?
    • 10. THE WALKING DEAD AMC 14.3 million - smart, capable white guy
    • 12. TWO AND A HALF MEN CBS 13.9 million - Um...smart, chauvinist white guy, and smart, mousy white guy
    • 14. BLUE BLOODS CBS 13.3 million - seems to be smart, capable white guys
    • 15. ELEMENTARY CBS 13.0 million - smart, capable white guy
    • 17. MODERN FAMILY ABC 12.7 million - smart, capable white guy, sweet dufus white guy, and smart capable gay white guy
    • 18. CRIMINAL MINDS CBS 12.6 million - looks like a bunch of smart capable white guys, and a smart, capable mixed guy
    • 20. CASTLE ABC 12.5 million - looks like smart, capable white guy and smart, capable white girl
    • 23. VEGAS CBS 12.0 million - looks like a couple smart, capable white guys
    • 24. THE FOLLOWING Fox 11.9 million - smart, capable white guy
    • t. CSI CBS 11.9 million - looks like several smart, capable characters, including many white guys

Ok, I think we've learned something. First, crime dramas are really hot right now. My God, that and reality TV must be all people watch these days. Second, the most popular main characters in these shows appear to be smart, capable white guys. My cursory analysis (I don't watch most of these shows), found one bafoonish white guy -Phil from Modern Family- and a couple of mousy white guys on shows that also feature smart, capable white guys. We also have a gay white guy on Modern Family.

Hypothesis not supported by this data.
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Nice post, and how many of those shows even feature non-supporting role black or minority characters? Not many of them.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I'm not too familiar with most of these shows, but it sure doesn't seem like many. I think that most of the large cast shows (e.g. NCIS, CSI, Walking Dead) have a couple of racial minority characters, and Modern Family has a prominent gay couple. After that, it appears that attractive white women are the main "minority" characters.
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984
    This, of course. However, easy and safe does not equal ethical.
  10. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    Walking Dead has had a series of minor black characters. But they tend to get eaten and replaced by another black character while the white guy leads the group.
  11. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    Great post.

As a white guy, I think of my fellow white guys who get their panties in a bunch about our portrayal on television is no better than Jesse or Al turning over every rock looking for some inkling of discrimination.

Come on white males! Butch up and move on.
  12. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,360
    I'd say that sums it up nicely. Just people looking to be victims and claiming how unfair everything is to them. The idea that white males are somehow the real victims of discrimination today is pretty damn laughable.
  13. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Remember that Tony Soprano was portrayed as having panic attacks and relying on a female psychiatrist to guide him back to sanity. Walter White is portrayed as a power mad evil genius who basically ignores his wife and children. The lead character in Mad Men is portrayed as an adulterous womanizer. You are confusing strong character with dysfunctional head cases.
  14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    Wrong. We're having to drink the crap because our ancestors got everything their way and left us holding the bag. I didn't tell black people they couldn't learn to read or write or eat at the same restaurant or sleep in the same hotel as I do. I didn't tell women they were property to be passed from father to husband to son. I'm sick of paying for the sins of others.
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,984
    I'm sure there's a better example out there. Walking Dead (legit show, by the way) is based on a series of graphic novels and the series writers seem to be faithfully following them in terms of the race of characters and when they die off. To do otherwise might alienate their most rapid and faithful viewers. And, no, I don't read comic books, so I can't personally confirm how faithfully the series is adapted. I've just heard that from others.

For a similar reason, I don't see the writers of The White Queen randomly inserting token black characters into the plot line. I'm no expert on the subject, but I just don't think there were too many Africans present in England during the War of the Roses.
  16. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I worked for a fortune 100 company wherein management bent over backwards to promote based on gender and race. That is to say if you were a White male you could forget about a promotion. I was in sales where results were all that mattered and the top 1000 sales people were 98% White men and management was 75% female and Black. I watched this go on for thirty years as women and Blacks progressively replaced better qualified and longer tenured White men. I realize that this is anecdotal but it is real and there are many here who will tell you the same thing.
    We have evolved from a meritocracy where in White men had an unfair advantage in a good ole boy workplace into a politically correct workplace where advancement is benefited by being female and/or Black. My question is a simple one: Have we swung the pendulum too far in that direction?
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    That sounds quantified and not casually anecdotal.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    One must assume this corporation is out of business since they kept promoting unqualified people.
  19. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    In a sales driven organization the revenue is driven by capable sales people. The experiment in political correctness did not work in the sales division. Of the thousands of females and Black men who were hired all but a few washed out and either left the company or were recruited into management. This company did, in fact, suffer from poor management and is now one tenth the size of its former self. Thankfully this happened after I left.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The first thing I'd ask is what position you were in that you were able to ascertain the metrics, qualifications, MBOs and performances of 75% of management. I don't want to accuse you of generalizing.

The second thing I'd say here is that sales is not management, and sometimes a capable manager is not the best sales person.

This is incredibly vague. So you're saying that the majority of the black people hired either "washed out" (which I assume means left, not a particularly uncommon occurrence in sales) or were unjustly promoted? Oooookaaaayy.

What company was it?