America First? 3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only 1 went to a US worker

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,017

You don't know that no one showed up.

Could have had a bunch inquire and found out about the pay and decided to stay on welfare.
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,217
    I kind of thought a president who preaches "America First" would do more than the bare minimum in order to hire Americans over foreigners. My bad I guess.

xenforoemoji
    ☹️ ☠️ ✊ ✌️ ☝️ ✋ ✍️ ‍✈️ ‍⚖️ ‍❤️‍‍⛑ ☂️ ⛷ ☘️ ⭐️ ✨ ⚡️ ☄️ ☀️ ⛅️ ☁️ ⛈ ⛄️ ❄️ ☔️ ☕️ ⚽️ ⚾️ ⛳️ ⛸ ⛷ ✈️ ⛵️ ⛴ ⚓️ ⛽️ ⛲️ ⛱ ⛰ ⛺️ ⛪️ ⛩ ⌚️ ⌨️ ☎️ ⏱ ⏲ ⏰ ⌛️ ⏳ ⚖️ ⚒ ⛏ ⚙️ ⛓ ⚔️ ⚰️ ⚱️ ⚗️ ✉️ ✂️ ✒️ ✏️ ❣️ ☮️ ✝️ ☪️ ☸️ ✡️ ☯️ ☦️ ⛎ ♈️ ♉️ ♊️ ♋️ ♌️ ♍️ ♎️ ♏️ ♐️ ♑️ ♒️ ♓️ ⚛️ ☢️ ☣️ ✴️ ㊙️ ㊗️ ❌ ⭕️ ⛔️ ♨️ ❗️ ❕ ❓ ❔ ⁉️ ⚠️ ⚜️ ♻️ ✅ ❇️ ✳️ ❎ Ⓜ️ ℹ️ 0️⃣ 1️⃣ 2️⃣ 3️⃣ 4️⃣ 5️⃣ 6️⃣ 7️⃣ 8️⃣ 9️⃣ #️⃣ *️⃣ ▶️ ⏸ ⏯ ⏹ ⏺ ⏭ ⏮ ⏩ ⏪ ⏫ ⏬ ◀️ ➡️ ⬅️ ⬆️ ⬇️ ↗️ ↘️ ↙️ ↖️ ↪️ ↩️ ⤴️ ⤵️ 〽️ ♿️
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    Well if you read the article they waited a month, but like I said earlier you knew this already . So why do you think Americans don't apply for these type of jobs?
  4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,217
    Hey if you're happy with "America First" trump hiring foreigners for his businesses when they are jobs Americans could easily do, then you and trump deserve each other.
  5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,217
    As for why Americans don't apply for these job. First, probably because they did the bare minimum to attract Americans, and second probably because "America First" trump isn't willing to pay more to employ Americans when he can pay less and employ foreigners. So he does the bare minimum to be in compliance with the law because he'd rather have that cheap foreign labor. What trump really means is "Profits First and Foremost", then "America First".
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,992
    And what should those business owners do if they can't find the needed labor? Close up shop? Go out of business? And what would that potentially do to the economy?
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,053
    You left out what the minimum requirements were.

8. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    Looking at the pay offered in the article that you posted, it appears that's right in line for what hotels in Florida for seasonal workers. Just admit it, the article is BS . Trumps hotels did what all hotels and resorts do when hiring. I willing to bet that the hotels did more than just posted an ad in the paper for 2 days. I'll be honest I have posted in ad in the paper in 11 years, total waste of money. There's way too many ways to advertise on line and a lot for free. I think the reason Americans don't apply for the job is because it's so easy for them to get unemployment and other benefits and a lot of them are just plain lazy. Then you have those who have multiple arrests and other issues who you would never hire.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    Of course not, there's always an answer and every good business owner or manager knows what he or she would have to do . I own a service business and refuse to hire just anybody. When I place an ad(never in the newspaper) I might have 50 to 60 applicants and out of those I usually only bring in about 5 to interview, most applicants I would never hire, they have arrest records or their appearance is horrible, poor grammar, changed jobs every on average every 5 to 7 months months, poor driving record, etc. When I make a hire I want that person to stay so I'm very picky . When I couldn't find the right person like this past fall, I choose to make all my other employees work overtime until we found the right person, they averaged 20 to 30 hrs a week overtime. Granted you can't work people that way for long it's too hard on them and their family but they did love the pay. These businesses all know how to bring in employees when needed in some cases they will have to offer more money. You and I have had this discussion more than once and we have never been able to agree. I know what your trying to get across but I believe your wrong. There's way too many Americans that would and are capable of doing this type of labor. First if your here illegal not permitted to work. 2nd address how and who receive unemployment and other benefits, not all but you would have to agree there's who are abusing this. 3rd if the type of industry pay is too low then it's time to increase to make it more attractive. In my profession it's common to have turn over, but I've managed about 80% of my staff to stay with me 6 years or longer, so it can been done. Are you a business owner or in the positon where you do the hiring?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    The pay was pretty good and right in line or better than what most hotels and resorts offer in Florida. I bet Orlando hotels and resorts are less.
  11. sam  7

sam 7 Freshman

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Trump is the only one that can solve the problem of hotels hiring mostly foreigners for jobs that Americans could do..........because nobody does it and knows more about it than he does.

And he's going to fix this problem any minute now. Maybe even on Day 1 !! Trust him.

(It's really no different than scamming tax obligations, manufacturing in China, flouting immigration laws, bankruptcy, grotesque immorality. He's about to fix all those things !)
  12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,807
    This is how immigration should work. People come over with jobs and leaving a trail. Illegal immigration is what I oppose.
  13. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,807
    Increase their offer. Undocumented aliens is such an Orwellian statement. They are illegal.
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,053
    This isn't some holiday inn. Mar A Lago is a high end private world class resort/club. Looking at wages, the club is inline with tourist hotels in Orlando. For the service that is expected, I would think they would pay more for quality employees.
    As far as requirements, I highly doubt the club did more than the bare minimum. I believe the club wants a high end international feel so it intentionally seeks out foreign employees.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +24,999
    What newspaper did Mar A Lago advertise the jobs in and for how long (I don't see that info referenced)?

That will probably tell you whether they did their due diligence in good faith or they were just targeting foreign workers (many of whom probably received those mailed letters informing them of the job openings).
  16. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    Well you are wrong with this typically they're paid the same throughout the state I would imagine though Orlando would be slightly less and if you Google it, appears that I'm correct based on some websites others shown them being about the same. You have to realize we're talkin about dishwashers and housekeepers they're going to be be paid the same throughout the state, remember this was seasonal work big difference.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. kdm

kdm Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    Trump doesn't care a thing about hiring American workers. That's why he and his family outsource all their product manufacturing and hire immigrants to do jobs instead of Americans. They care only about their bottom line, but they are smart enough to know that they can serve up pablum and the people who want to believe it will ignore all facts to the contrary and believe it. Ignorance abounds and is now often seen as a virtue by a large segment of Trump supporters and "conservatives" overall, because it makes it easier to ignore reality and latch on to the pablum.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,992
    Been a hiring manager in the past, and part of the interview process on my team now. But I'm a white collar worker and hiring those with at least a bachelor's degree, with masters preferred. Not generally the undocumented target market.

And you might believe there are Americans willing and able to do these jobs, but lets look at the evidence. First, there are currently about 8 million undocumented or illegals currently working. Our current unemployment rate is 4.1%. And on top of that, about half of those who file for unemployment will find a new job in 3 months or less. So, for seasonal jobs like the ones at Mar-a-Lago, for many unemployed, the timing won't be right. And for white collar workers such as myself, the option of taking unemployment and focusing on my job search is a better option than working full time at a menial job that would take the focus off of my job search. And the last time I was laid off (downsized), I took unemployment and found a job within about 10 weeks.

But if you don't believe those numbers and prefer anecdotes, here are a few stories since Trump took office. Here's one from wine country, N. California. The headline of the article is, "Wages rise on California farms. Americans still don't want the job"

Or how about construction in Texas. From this article, "In all their years in Texas, Israel and José — pseudonyms, since both asked that their real names not be published — have experienced a lot. One thing they say they haven’t seen: U.S. citizens doing the heavy lifting on construction projects." And the result? Longer waits and higher prices for houses in Texas.

It's not just border states either. From a resort area, Mackinac Island in Michigian:

That’s the problem with jingoism like “America first,” or “make America great again.” Trump ran on the promise of economic opportunity for Americans still struggling to recover from the recession. And immigration — legal and illegal — has been a marquee issue for Trump, who has firmly placed blame for Americans’ economic woes on foreign nations, and foreign workers.

It’s simplistic populism that plays well with some voters, but it absolutely ignores the complexity of the labor market — or the reality that resorts like the ones here on the island, that depend on guest workers, also hire Americans. And if those businesses close, American workers — in some of the same parts of the country that supported Trump by wide margins — will suffer.

When Mission Point vice president and managing director Bradley McCallum posted job listings for the 117 workers it takes to make the hotel run, he got just 10 domestic applications.
    And if American are willing and able to do the immigrant jobs, then why, back in 2011 when states passed their own anti-immigrant laws did Georgia have to resort to prison release labor, which failed by the way, and a report on Alabama said they could lose between $2 and $11 billion as a result of the law. And remember, unemployment in 2011 in Alabama hovered around 10%.

Your belief that American are willing and able to take these jobs just isn't backed up by any evidence whatsoever. In other words, you're wrong. All the evidence is against you and if you can find one instance in the US where there has been an immigration crackdown that didn't create a labor shortage, I'd be willing to consider changing my stance. But that just isn't the truth. From Maine to the Midwest to Washington state, and all points inbetween, the story is the same. We have a strong demand for low-wage immigrant workers. And cutting off supply would seriously damage the economy.
  19. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    Like I said earlier and many before with you, I don't agree with you on this in anyway. I'm not going to bother explaining myself again and again and again. It's a waste of time. Neither of us agree with the other. Will just leave at that. I hope Trump sticks to his immigration plan, then we will see who's right.
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,992
    You are entitled to your own opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts. And if your opinion isn't based on any facts, and all the facts are contrary to your opinion, it's not difficult to figure out just how much value your opinion should have.

And I'll put it out there again. Just show me one time in the US where immigration crackdowns didn't result in labor shortages, and I'll reconsider my position. And if you can't, why not read all the links that show immigrant labor shortages and ask yourself just how valid your opinion that Americans are willing and able to take these jobs really is.