AM arrest may explain...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 22, 2013.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,101
    Speeding tickets are speeding tickets until you think your life is in danger - sometimes cops do really crooked things to bust people because they think it's either funny or their right as a cop.

My sister was coming home from working at Publix (want to say she was 17 then) on 43rd Street. Back then it wasn't quite as lit as now and it was pretty late. No other cars really around and then she looks behind her and sees a car pretty much on her bumper, no lights - not even headlights. Just keeps following her. She changes lanes, the car changed lanes. She called my dad who told her to speed up a bit and get to the gas station at the corner on 43rd. He stayed on the phone with her the whole time. As she sped up the other car sped up and she really thought she was in danger. As she sped up again she broke 45 mph and all of a sudden ALL the lights came on -- it was an unmarked police car. She explained - he said he was allowed to do that and to pay the ticket.

So after all that, she's pulling away to go home, and HE GOT RIGHT BEHIND HER AGAIN, tailing her. This time she didn't flinch and he gave up and left, but my father was furious. He was able to get the ticket tossed by the judge, but the stress, the day off work without pay, etc - just because some guy was on a power trip that night.

As for AM, no one is saying it wasn't stupid, but a warning would've been plenty. Only reason for an arrest that not even their supervisors are supporting is because, again, the cop just felt like it.
  2. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    Great thoughts here folks, so glad a video came out of this thing, gives a lot of useful perspective on the incident
  3. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    My guess here. Cop was in a pissed off mood. AM comes by and does something pretty stupid and further pisses off the cop. Cop comes around the car and immediately goes to handcuff him. AM looks like he is in disbelief here, like "man, are you SERIOUS!!?!?!?". Doesn't resist in the least. At some point, cop realizes he is going to look stupid for this and makes up some BS in righteous indignation of "how dare this kid bark at my dog!! to try to save some face here.

A simple "sir, please don't bark at my dog or address him in any manner. That is potentially interfering with police work and you can get into trouble for that". At which point, my guess is AM throws his hands up, says he is sorry, it won't happen again, and he goes on his merry way thinking "boy, that was CLOSE!!"
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    Which is where we disagree.

I have no doubt profiling occurs. But I don't believe it is racially motivated the vast majority of the time...
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    I am not sure whether he did something wrong but the OP could be insinuating that an explanation of why barking at the dog affects his ability to work.

If he was not barking at it maliciously I don't believe he was breaking the law (though I believe that is up for interpretation to legal experts as well). :)
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    Agreed
  8. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    You are right, I don't think the cops should have done anything. The cop was butt hurt because in his twisted mind, AM barking at his girlfriend was somehow displaying a level of disrespect to HIM. This isn't about the mutt. You know, gotta keep these people....errr....kids in line.

Though great speech by the cop about how rin-tin-tin has his back and apparently any distraction no matter how slight can cause great tragedy to both man and beast. Oh, and he was also full of sh*t. The cuffs were on, the perp was in the vehicle, the arrest was called in, there was no going back. CYA time.

And yes I am jaded. And when I see video's like this I really, really feel bad for the kid, and it reinforces my beliefs. Oh, and the only reason we know about this is because he arrested the starting MLB for UF. If it was just some kid, or say one of Antonio's friends we wouldn't hear squat. And in my jaded world this HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.
  9. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,264
    That's what got me about it too. I would surmise that the 3 or 4 other cops on the scene also had his back. If AM had said "good evening officers" would that have been diverting their attention and causing an unsafe situation and should he have been arrested for that? A little man with a big badge.
  10. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,442
    You can be warned to stop doing something that is completely legal by the police...

But I think if the cop said "hey cut that out" and you kept doing it there would at least be an argument that you were being malicious.
  11. rounds

rounds New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Given the way the k9 cop looked longingly at the Gatorade bottle and swatted it to the ground at the end I think he saw the bulge in AM's cargo shorts and thought it was a big ole baggie of weed. Just look at how he handles that bottle in the video...
    Then at the end knowing he is effed, he swats it to the ground. Dumbazz.
  12. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,273
    That's an easy question to answer: because perhaps he didn't know that saying "woof, woof" to a police dog might possibly be criminal behavior. I certainly wouldn't have known that.
  13. ArcherGator

ArcherGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    There are two issues here that are getting cross wired with some of the points/arguments, but they are totally separate issues.

1. Did AM do something dumb? I think everyone here can agree that he did something dumb. Whether he should have been out at 3:00 and whether he should have barked at the dog drawing attention to himself is a different topic than #2.

2. Was there a racial element to this arrest and if not what led to the arrest? My opinion is that it is very likely, although there is no way we can know for sure, that the cop(s) treated AM the way they did because he was black. But before it got to that point something else happened that set the entire thing in motion: AM, in the deputy's view I'm sure, disrespected him personally and law enforcement in general by doing what he did. If there is one thing LEOs hate it is to feel they are being disrespected. I think many LEOs forget that they are there to enforce the law, not demand respect. In addition to that there was probably a certain level of ego involved with his buddies around. Can't let some punk disrespect you that way in front of your peers...

Of course, I am certainly open to being wrong and recognize that is all speculation.
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,167
    I feel like there are a lot of opportunities missed when there is no real danger to actually educate people on the law. The cop, rather than arresting, could have explained why such a law exists and the logic behind it. THings dont have to be so adverserial. I mean, I guess we all learned something from the incident, because I didnt know it was illegal. But it probably wasnt such a good experience for AM.
  15. ArcherGator

ArcherGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    Good point. The deputy showed no restraint, no professionalism and ignorance of the law he is sworn to uphold. I thought Cervone's comments on the matter were eloquent and surprisingly (at least to me) profound:

"In my office, I teach and we attempt to practice restraint. The power to do something as profound as depriving another person of liberty and subjecting him to all of the consequences of an arrest or prosecution cannot be abused, even when one's patience is thin.

"After nearly 40 years as a prosecutor, I understand the pressures that officers on the street deal with. Those pressures simply cannot be allowed to override common sense and the law, as they may have in this situation.''
  16. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    I see a lot of people assuming or hinting that there was some racial bias to the AM arrest. Of course there is no proof. No evidence. Nothing that even hints at it except that a white cop arrest a black college student. Assuming the white cop had racial motivation behind the arrest seems to be somewhat racist.

Back in the day, when cops WALKED a beat they were much more liled, understood their neighborhoods better and didn't face near the hatred. Of course it my belief that back in the day not so many wannabe tough guys made it onto the force....

I have been harrassed by both white and black cops (but never an asian one) and just assume that cops are often jackasses looking to fulfil there manly cool guy quota for the mo th or else they feel inept. I think in AM case the cop had been on duty for a lo g time through the middle of the night, been called to deal with druken diorderly college students and was at his paitence end. Did he over react? Yep. Does that make him a racist? No.