AM arrest may explain...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 22, 2013.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    why many AAs have such a distrust of authority that includes white people. Let me explain, when I read the report over on gatorsports.com, AM should have been given a warning and nothing more. The police supervisor said as much and let's face it this incident is soooo bizarre. We can argue that AM should not be out so late and such and that's all good and well but imo this "arrest" is wrong. There is no evidence that AM was being obnoxious or overdoing it. A simple, here's a warning would have been more than reasonable.

Now, if this is common, that is the treatment of AAs then yeah I can understand better their distrust. And if it is true that if an AA and a white individual commit the same crime but if the AA gets a harsher treatment then that's wrong. Now if for example the AA had repeatable crimes while the white person didn't then that may explain some. But if its apples to apples and one gets harsher treatment, then things have to change.

At any rate this arrest has given me a lot more to think about. I don't think AM should have been arrested at all.
  2. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    I think it's as much (if not more) that GPD and ACSO have a hard on for snagging UF athletes -- not that AM is AA. This isn't just me saying this as a UF grad and Gator fan, but over the years there have been some very questionable arrests that could have gone either way. They just seem to end up as arrests in Gville.
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,591
    "Don't taze me bro"
  4. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +785
    I always felt Gainesville cops were easy on athletes during my stay at UF. Seems like I rarely hear about the times when cops were too easy on them. It seems that cops in other towns like Columbia SC put up with less. Stephen Garcia made headlines over some really silly stuff, among other athletes there.
  5. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +733
    While I totally agree the arrest is ridiculous...I heard on the news today that Morrison's defense was the dog barked first (seems reasonable if the dog barked something inflammatory).

That said bringing race into this is just as ridiculous IMO...
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,913
    This thread would work if cops didn't harass white people too...
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    If the dog barked first, it could very well be racial profiling. Would the dog have barked at a white man? I think Jackson and Sharpton should get down here and find out if Gainesville law enforcement is training racist dogs.
  9. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,126
    Actually I find GPD, ASO and UPD to be equal in their level of jackassery and I see they've maintained their standards from when I lived in Gainesville.

I was attending a home game while in school and was coming back alone to my seat. One of them stopped me from going to the seats, asking for my ticket. I showed him the ticket and without really looking at it he declared it a fake and said I'd need to come with him. I said it wasn't and I needed to go back to my seat with my fiance. He actually had my arm at this point and people were just staring and stuff. His buddy came up and asked if he needed help "dealing" with me, and his reply was no, because it was a joke anyhow - seems he'd just wanted me to go with him to ask me out. They threw the ticket back in my face and walked off and I was left red faced getting my ticket and going back to my seat.

When I called to file a complaint, since I didn't have a name, badge, etc, they said no harm no foul, and to get over it.

Then there were the speed traps in our neighborhood where people got tickets for going one or two miles above the speed limit - I got one for 27 in a 25. This was the main area, not the residential area.

What's going to continue to happen is kids and parents are going to see these wannabees in action and advise their kids to go elsewhere. Can you imagine having a job interview in the future where you have to say if you've been arrested, and having to check "yes" and explain it was for barking at a dog? (If you were a regular person and not AM, btw)

All so those bullies can feel they do their jobs...at least when not sitting in the Oaks Mall parking lot sleeping.
  10. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    Just in case folks hadn't seen the video

I'm sure everyone has seen this but... I think it lends some merit to the original poster.

When you look at how the event transpires (Morrison is IMMEDIATELY restrained by at least three officers) and the accompanying report of resisting arrest/description of Morrison in the report, I can see the merit of discussing the role of race in this.

For the record, Morrison is NOT inebriated and is not fleeing from the officers when impugned for saying "woof woof" to the K-9 yet look at the physical response from the gathering of cops?

I think if Driskel, Kent Taylor, Anzalone and Colin Thompson wonder by the same scene and one of them does the "woof woof" this interaction begins more with finger pointing and raised voices and not with an immediate placing on the hood, running of names for warrants, etc.
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +733
    I still do not see the race issue. It would be just as easy to assume this cop was a fsu/miami/uga/etc fan. This is an abuse of power issue where a cop lost his cool from what I see. There is no doubt he should have been able to gather himself and tell Morrison why barking at a police dog affects him.

If there is evidence against this officer of being a racist or showing racial prejudice in the past then this assumption would have merit. These assumptions do not help the issue IMO...
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    The officer's motivation or thinking we can only speculate on. My own speculation is that I, a relatively clean cut white dude, wouldn't have been arrested for barking at that dog. I don't know if that's because of my race or presentation, or both.
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Don't **** with cops, especially when they are trying to do a job. I mean, I'm white and I learned that at about age 5. I would have been walking on the other side of the street if I were intoxicated, underage. Hell, probably the other direction.

It's not rocket science.
  14. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    The point everyone is missing is they probably don't do that.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,460
    You don't see the race issue because you view this as an isolated incident that could have happened to anyone.

AA males view this as normal behavior by LEOs towards them.... and it is clearly far different than normal LEO interactions with white males. I'd be very surprised if a white male in the exact same situation would have received anything more than a warning.

This baseline discrepancy in how people are treated, is a big part of the reason for the unwarranted reaction to the Zimmerman case (and similar cases).
  16. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    That's not really a point, unless lack of arrests proves absence of bad behavior.
  17. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    I've found that most college town cops come down hard on the interloping students - black and white. Tickets for barely exceeding speed limits. Arrests for underage drinking, intoxication. Etc. It's a revenue stream for the City and a little pay back against the allegedly privileged kids.

In this case, had the cop/dog just been sitting on patrol and AM barked at the dog, I suspect the cop would have at most told AM not to bother the dog. However, this officer and others were engaged in a situation and were probably not in a joking mood. Bad timing and poor evaluation of the siutation on AM's part, even if we all agree the arrest was overkill - just as later decided by higher-ups.
  18. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    I heard the dog barked a racial slur at AM
  19. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    Haha I just named a few white kids from the current squad but lord knows we've had our share of knuckleheads of all races over the years, Cooper and Wilks certainly come to mind as white kids who not only would've "woofed" but would have also tapped the window in passing. Would they have met the same response by the cops is the question.

Hell, the parking lot incident those two got into years ago is a great illustration of this point.

This is a total aside, but Meyer for whatever reason did not recruit white players in large numbers, particularly at positions of aggression (DLine, Linebacker, Strong Saftey, O-Line). 'Champ is definitely casting a wider net and we'll soon have a colorblind cast of knuckleheads once again, as it should be =)
  20. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    Well, we've all heard stories about dogs that only bark at black people. We have not even touched on the subject of doggy racism. :ninja: