Alternative Candidate for Governor of Florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorbogey, Aug 11, 2013.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    Not to mention that Superfund is itself a government entity, which has the power to enforce accountability for the cleanup of hazardous waste, even when it's government.
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,833

Hiroshima was also at a time of war. Vieques was being used for test bombing runs for "war games" for the US military during peace in a property that was being "protected" by a US government entity charged with protecting it. So it's a bit different :)

To their credit they are "trying" to clean up now that it had gotten world press over the years, but it's a sore spot. And it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
  3. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,833
    So...government being accountable to itself? :laugh:
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,275
    See, it is possible. :grin:
  5. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,833
    And actually the Love Canal superfund is about 15-20 minutes away, and that was back in the 70s (?), and we still have chemicals from that mess in our soil/water supply. We don't even live in Niagara Falls. Declaring "superfund" doesn't mean it's going to get cleaned up and taken care of, and if it does get taken care of it takes years and years to reverse what was done, or even fix it a bit. (yes, I know Love Canal was a private company issue - just discussing the designation of superfund not meaning it's going to get fixed)
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    It is definitely different, but ardent militarists would probably point out that these practices are vital to the effectiveness of these resources during war. I am personally not much of a war guy, but I understand the sentiment.

I'm with you here, but I just mean that these types of tragedies do not diminish the value of national parks.
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,580
    If anything, declaring something a Superfund site and making it the sole province of the federal government to do something about it all but metaphysically guarantees it's never going to happen.
  8. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    For what ever it is worth I think Scott has done a dam good job. At least we are not on the verge of BK like states run by Dem
  9. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,833
    You are correct there :) National parks are a vital resource - Again, just trying to play Devil's Advocate and show government protection/involvement doesn't always save areas from issues.
  10. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Theoretically, not impossible, but in the real world impossible. The National Park System would not exist if the government didn't do it. This is not some kind of close call where Libertarians can pretend that our federal parks are just one way to accomplish the same thing through private enterprise. No, it isn't..
  11. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    fla is in better shape than it was when he was elected. how anybody takes chrisp seriously is beyond me. i think money keeps a libertarian from being elected in such a big state, try wyoming or montana, could happen there.

parks seem to be a hot button issue, never realized they would be from attendance that i have seen recently.