Alright, How Should We Move Forward?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by tegator80, Sep 8, 2013.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,749
    We have had enough time to bitch and moan about 1) lost opportunities 2) poor execution and 3) injuries to the OLine, so now...What do we do moving forward?

First, if you think that Champ is going to change spots, especially after building this team for this season, I can't see it. We are who we are: a conservative playing team that tries to beat up teams and wins games by the time the clock strikes zero. What can we realistically do - this year - to win games that is different?

We are going to ride Jeff for the rest of the season, and probably the next. What are his strengths to keep and what are his weaknesses to throw out? I think we may need to go back to a spread option kind of attack to give him better options to run the ball. We have blocker types at the WR positions so why not?

The OLine HAS to be a strength for this team and I am afraid that there are some missing pieces with the injuries. Anyone who isn't in the rotation that needs to be in? I am concerned that Humphries isn't going to be reliable as a left tackle right now. What is the best Plan B option?

The D seems set. Besides giving VH3 some more playing time, any other players we need to add to the attack?

Any other tweeks we can make?
  2. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    We move forward by beating the hillbilly crap out of Lulu and Junior.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    Run Driskel more. Missed opportunity with that vs. Miami.
  4. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I'm going to move forward expecting nothing to change, and that we're going to lose the rest of our games. If we win ill be happy because I wasn't expecting it to happen.
  5. floridafield

floridafield New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    driskel is driskel at this point. he does have one variable that muschamp and pease must utilize with more frequency, run him. physically he reminds of mariota of oregon, not as good of passer, but close as a runner. let him gain some yards and confidence. you can't hold him back from his strengths, if he is failing to produce for you in other areas.
  6. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Got 2 weeks b4 UT.Work on the passing game.......timing,Reps,Reps,Reps........Maybe we spend to much time in practice working on the running game.JD seems to pass better out of the pocket, roll him out more at least he can see the field better that way.
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    driskel's strength is not sitting back in the pocket. i'd revamp the offense a bit to utilize jeff's strengths. more bootlegs and getting jeff on the edge to pressure the corner back w/ the threat of run/pass.

need to break tendencies now and then too. play action passes on first down. attack a deep seam once and a while, just to keep the defensive secondaries honest.

defense looks set. D was impressive after the 1st 2 Miami drives (minus a couple missed tackles here and there).

need to concentrate some work on the redzone (that's a given). work on our 2 minute offense too. we looked disorganized at the end of the game.
  8. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Tennessee's D doesn't look that good - fla should be able to put 24 points which will be enough to win
  9. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    They don't need to be that good.
  10. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    To me it's simple - hold on to the football. If we can do that, we will be fine. Really. Things aren't as bad as some on here want to believe.
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Beat the absolute snot out of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas, and gather as many style points as possible before the showdown with LSU.
  12. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    This.

He won the QB battle last year, at least partly, with his ability to make things happen with his legs. Allow him to do it now.
  13. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Also need to work on Red Zone Off.........Duh
  14. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Still way to many penalties.........10-70 yds
  15. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    If we had went with this game plan we would have won Saturday. The coaches need to ignore the "noise in the system" and do what they think is best. Jeff is our best option to run the offense the coaches want to run....play to his strengths. Take what the defense gives you and get what points you can. Those two picks in the red zone cost us 6 points, throw the ball away and we win. The team has all it's goals still in front of them....all of them. Learn from this game, put it behind us and move on.
  16. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    My Recommendations:

1- Go Up Tempo: The ball control offense lacks urgency, does nothing to keep the defense off guard, and freezes up in the red-zone. Mix in some ho-huddle, and when you do huddle, break that huddle with a purpose, get to the line of scrimmage, and execute.

2- Incorporate more of Jeff's running: If Jeff is a running threat, and we have a no huddle, defenses will get caught off guard.

3- Run a 2 back set with Showers and Jones/Brown more: If we go up tempo and Jeff runs more, Showers can become a big threat and an even bigger decoy, opening up the offense for everyone else.

4- Pass on 1st down: Short and intermediate routes have been there, and going up top is a possibility that should be explored more as well.

5- Keep playing great defense.

My 2 cents.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  17. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    In addition to some of the good ones that have already been suggested:

1. Call 2 or more passes in a row - one thing I noticed yesterday (I think) is that Jeff would complete a nice pass and on the next play we'd run the ball so he never got in a rhythm.

2. Teach him to throw the ball away when there's nothing there. I think Jeff feels like the season is on his shoulders because he's heard so much about how his improvement is the key to our season. Perhaps he thought he had to make things happen and as a result he made some very poor decisions.

3. Fewer penalties, especially the stupid kind (see, e.g., Clay Burton). Speaking of whom - has he ever done anything especially good? He probably has but the things I remember - dropped passes, penalties - have all been bad.

4. Teach Moore to block without holding or at least how to hide the holds better.

5. Use Showers more. He gained 27 yards on 4 carries yesterday. Nobody else did diddly running the ball. Speaking of diddly, don't play Jones until he's 100% or if he's 100% and what we saw is typical play him less.

6. Even if possible play-makers like Robinson and Taylor don't have the full offense down or don't know all their assignments very well, there surely are a few plays we can design for them where all they have to do is run and catch the ball.

7. There presumably is a reason why we don't run timing routes or throw the ball to the RBs past the line of scrimmage but I'd re-examine that reason and see if it's still valid.

Those are just a few ideas. I'm not a coach, maybe they aren't good ones. But one thing I wouldn't do is have more designed runs for Jeff. If he goes down we're in deep trouble so I'd try to protect him as much as possible.
  18. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Another one for me:

Get rid of the wildcat formation. Forever.
  19. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Think we should run it on the first play of our third drive every game, then not use it again! Makes people prepare for it! And what we do in it is so predictable that we should do it on the same play every game and then there will be no question why we shouldn't run it more than once a game!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  20. ironhead1

ironhead1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    This
    After taking last night and part of this morning to try and gain some perspective.......
    He'll, I think Driskel,actually played good.
    He sat in the pocket more than he ever has,he hit a handful of big plays,he rushed for a TD, and actually threw the ball fairly well. His performance was good enough to win.
    If he can clean up the stupid mistakes, the two int, I think the kid will be ok.
    To me, the fumble wasn't on him, to me, that was the tackles fault, the rush got there really quick.

I'm looking at the stats this morning. Offense played really well, if not for the turnovers.

Once the defense started actually playing instead of acting like Miami 1998, they played a fantastic game.

I would indeed take a hard look at running back. I would indeed take a hard look at more tempo in the offense.
    Overall though, the quote above sums it all up, turnovers lost this game and turnovers are uncharacteristic of our team. Throw out Louisville, Georgia game last year and now Miami this year were lost because of turnovers.

Notice this morning that everyone has forgotten about Clemson beating the dawgs last week......it's all about Georgia running the table now.
    We can redeem ourselves and this season is not lost.