Almost Half of U.S. Births Covered by Medicaid

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Sep 9, 2013.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    A) Not a liberal...but you've got to love the labeling arguments of anyone who happens to disagree with a line-toting conservative.

B) As someone who has personally seen health care providers bilk the insurance and Medicaid systems through reimbursement manipulation (including reviewing their books, statements, and internal emails discussing them), I happen to personally know how full of it many of these arguments are and how those costs that Q thinks are "cheap" are largely artificial inflations to increase the reimbursement rates. So, no, I often have little sympathy for providers after having seen their actual "costs."
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,685
    Seems like a good way to ensure that people that earn very little $ spend 100 hours of their time doing something that will earn them absolutely no income.
  3. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Wonder why Vermont is 14th.I thought that's where all the upper westside lefties have moved with their Birkinstock apparel.
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Even more than that. How about I would rather not spend it at birth or on the child so let's implement policies that discourage irresponsible behavior...
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    No just giving a little back for the gracious blessing afforded them. Those that understand will be thankful and glady give back. Those that do not will hopefully learn that there are consequences for ones actions and not be irresponsible going forward. It really is not much to ask.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,685
    So, your plan to end the nanny state is for the government to literally act like a mommy and daddy for people, rather than a metaphorical one.
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Yeah it is the couple of bad apples that is caused me to pay $6900 instead of $2000... :roll:

Of corse patient dumping (Michelle Obama may know something about) and low reimbursement rates have very little to do with my inflated bill...
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    No. My plan creates an environment that looks to help those truly in need. I would hope some parents would not want to do the community service and actually turn to their "mommy and daddy" first before asking a stranger (the taxpayer) to pay for their actions.

Currently the government is literally acting like an irresponsible "mommy and daddy" which is what we need to end!
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    I am sure that there are some crooks who scam Medicaid, how ever the measly $30 pittance Medicaid pays for a level 3 ER visit is absurd. The vast majority of providers lose money on Medicaid patients thus most don't take it (or limit how many Medicaid patients they see). Just try to find a dentist that takes it.

Medicare is a bit of a different story, reimbursement is better, they however add more hoops to jump thru yearly providers just try to keep up.

Admittedly there are crooks but they are the exception not the rule, it's the same with attorneys I'm sure :)
  10. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +342
    Yes
  11. gatorpa

Ratings Received:
    +342
    What do you "actual costs"......education, staff.....I just helped a doc setup up a new Urgent Care he is in the hole about 600k and that's before he even opened his door.

Don't forget more directly to the Medicaid for childbirth OB/GYNs have among the highest rates for malpractice and Medicaid patients have a greater % of high risk deliveries.
  12. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868

One of the problems. Name the dad (if you know} check gets delayed while he gets persued. Better not to know if you want a quick click.
  13. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +938
    One of the things we've lost is the hand up not a hand out approach.

And if you can't afford to birth a child how the hell can you afford to raise one? End of the day the decision to keep adding children is not about subsidies but personal responsibility, or lack thereof.