All of UF's offensive plays vs UT video and my thoughts

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    TM reminds me of ....dare I say EJ Manuel but not as big of a guy

I like that finally, we have a QB that doesn't have a noticable wind up

Our running game wow, not very inspiring. No SPEED....zero QUICKNESS. Some nice power running by Mack
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,292
    These guys do have speed and Brown is very quick, but neither have the balance or agility Mike G had. Jones needs to develop some quickness. In fairness, there wasn't much room to run and Jones can't tell the difference between a hole and a defender. Brown needs to learn to bounce outside instead of plowing into LBs and pushing them two or three yards backwards, but he is hitting the holes nicely. Run blocking is spotty.

The running will improve when defenses begin to respect Murphy's arm. I don't think we have a game-breaker yet, but if we can continue to own the clock and maintain the same pass efficiency, the running game is good enough to outscore most of our opponents. Seriously, how many offensive TDs have we given up this year? How many of those were set up by offensive turnovers?
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    Wondering if we fans can evaluate our run blocking. I can't but if someone watching the replays has some input I would be interested. This is a relatively young OL, I'm wondering if some of our combined problems run/pass aren't simply a function of the OL's time together to this point. I'm expecting our OL to get better.

Don't believe he was hit and from view behind JD you can see the field and the Tenn WR beginning to eclipse Burton when the pass was being thrown. No linemen in the way, nobody. Just an unfortunate throw I believe.

Am wondering about our OL as well.
  4. naturedave

naturedave Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    On our running game, it looks like the toss sweep was there all night long. The only thing is that Mack couldn't make the turn sharp enough or quickly enough to break the 6-10 yard runs into long ones.

Everywhere else he looked good, and a step quicker than Jones. The creases were there...
  5. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    Neither back is nearly as quick as Gilly....nor as fast

How do you work on quickness? That's like working on getting taller

I think our gamebreaker is on the bench, while Kelvin doesn't have Dad's top end...he's much quicker and elusive then Mack or Matt
  6. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
  8. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    That photo doesn't lie about what was going on at that very moment.
  9. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,600
    Hahahaha
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,358
    You can definitely work on quickness. There's endless amounts of drills/workouts to improve agility, quickness, overall speed etc...
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,086
    I am hoping it is just rust. Last year, it took awhile for Jones to get into a rhythm, especially in terms of patience with the setting up blocks, but he got better as time went on. It could not have helped to sit basically all camp.

By comparison, Brown seems far more at ease given the luxury of a full camp and the nice workload against Toledo. He won't give you much beyond the second level, but he is doing a better job than Jones of getting there right now.
  12. ufrc86

ufrc86 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Pretty sure they want the QB to throw those low and away from the defender to reduce risk of INT. The throws to Ajagbe and Dunbar were exactly that - low and away from the defender. The throw to Patton was outstanding considering he was running to his left.
  13. 93KSig

93KSig Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    The guy that injured JD did almost the same thing to TM, only he started higher around his shoulders and pulled him backwards to the ground. It was the same deal though as the JD play, a curl around rush, he grabbed from behind and kept pulling even after after the ball was out. Nasty plays really. He is going to hurt more people doing that.
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    While Mack Brown is running the best right now this UK game might be the best one to give KT and Jones more carries. KT has some quickness and they need to see what he can do. Jones does some really nice things once he gets through the whole but he has to find it fist. I hope him missing cut backs is just rust.
  15. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    The thing I liked about KT's runs in the Toledo game was how he used his blockers, and understands where the holes are going to develop.

There was one run, to the left-outiside, where KT hides behind his blocker, lets the blocker move his man to the outside, and then darts to the inside for a nice gain.

I think he is the real deal and am looking forward to him being the man sooner or later.

That said, I think we need to do more RB rotation. Keep them all fresh for the whole game rather than waiting for one to be worn out before bringing in fresh legs.
  16. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Quote from Champ found on OnlyGators:
    Wasn't he just bullish on Herndon a few weeks ago and all we've seen is Herndon do really well in the few touches he's gotten and Jones be abysmal in the one's he's gotten, fumbling the ball in both games he's appeared in? Again, the man critiques offense much differently than he does defense.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The fumbles by Jones has been terrible but he does some things that are going to help the team in the long run if he can fix his problems.
  18. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    AZ I can see that and I honestly think he's best as a situational player right now, there are certain run schemes he's a better fit for at this time, needs a defined gap to hit and a very simple step sequence into his handoff.

For whatever reason his eyes are getting completely lost between his step-sequence and the handoff, which I did not see coming based on his work near the end of last season.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We have to remember he missed all of camp and was in the hospital for 8 days. It looks like we will use 4RB's a good bit this year. Probably 3 per game because a lot of times one guy will be hurt.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Robbie Andreu ‏@RobbieAndreu 7m
    Pease said running backs coach Brian White is the one who decides which tailback has the hot hand in the game.