All of UF's offensive plays vs UT video and my thoughts

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 23, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,534
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbGzrzLvB68

1)Play calling to start was great we moved Driskel’s launch points, had play action passes and threw the ball vertically when we got a one vs one match up.

2)The Interception- I really like the play call. If you have noticed I have been begging for “rub plays” or pick plays and that is what was called. The problem was Trey picked Dunbars man and not the other way around. Three people made bad plays on the int. Humphries got beat by his man. Driskel needed to throw it earlier and more to the outside. Trey Burton needs to flatten out his route and not drift up field.

3)On 3rd and 15 (goal) we hand the ball off to Jones while I like the play because it is safe and we get points. Matt Jones misses the hole. If he cuts back to the right it is a TD

4)We had some line audibles for the QB to call and we had audibles coming in from the sideline

5)We did a better job running the football than I remember. Jones was not great but he wasn’t terrible. One play that irked me was at the 13.50 mark of the video. At first I was upset with Jones for not running left but he was following his fullback like he is supposed to the problem was Trenton Brown.

Going forward-

I think the plan we had can work on anybody if we don’t turn the football over and the Oline is healthy. The major question in the passing game is can Dunbar beat one vs one converges against better DB’s.

I know some complain about running against stacked boxes but they can still run plays if Tyler checks to the right run play. Our team running the football helps us get 1 vs 1’s on the outside. Also when people go man it gives Tyler a chance to scramble for the first down.

People also love talking about how many times we throw the ball and that we should do it more but against UT we threw it 20 times against Toledo 22 times. Throwing it under 25 times and limiting the Turnovers is going to win a lot of football games with the defense we have.

RB situation- I think Mack and Matt did a decent job carrying the football in the game (Matt trying to change hands after the catch was stupid) . That being said it seems like it is now time for Taylor to get more carries. I assume the series where Tyler got hit in the face with the snap was going to be Kelvin’s. This shows that he is doing things right in practice and the meeting room and it ready to play. We also missed Showers this game he really does bring a different dimension to the offense

TE- Thompson got some reps
  2. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Can't say enough about Murphy the kid was slinging darts right on the money.
  3. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    On the interception, all good points but when the play broke down Driskel should have thrown it away or taken the sack, he had to see the spacing was off and Burton was still covered ....feel like he always forced far too many balls when things broke down. Something as simple as Murph rolling out and throwing it away at 4:55 is what gives me hope...I feel like Driskel would have forced that. You're right about Matt Jones as well, he seems to miss the hole a lot, glad to see Kelvin Taylor getting some reps and Muschamp saying they are getting him more involved.
  4. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398
    I hate to keep picking on Jones but he missed several holes. It just looks like he is lowering his head and plowing into the line. When he keeps his head up and sees the flow of the defense he is a much better back.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,848
    My only qualm watching that game is the way Murphy holds the football when he's running.
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    9:38 on the playclock - Jones actually impeded Humphries which allows the DE to get around Humphries and make the sack.
  7. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    I saw that and was thinking the same thing. However, I'd say most QB's tend to hold it like that... but I still don't like it.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,848
    I wouldn't say most. I can think of a few scramblers that did (Vick still does, Cam did although they shored it up a bit). Plenty of scramblers knew how to tuck it, though (RGIII, Tebow).
  9. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    I kind of always figured you got a lot of your info from 247, but this confirms it lol
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,534
    what info and how does this confirm that? Did they write something similar?

I didnt get any of what I said from over there I dont have an subscription
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,534
    You are right I dont know what to think about it either. Is Jones just doing this on his own or have they told him to trust his blocks and run into the whole?
  12. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    This offense is still a work in progress. There will be adjustments to work with Murphy's strengths and weaknesses but the key is the O-line. If they don't get healthy and start knocking people off the ball, we are in for a long season. All of those guys are road graders and something is just not meshing! Jones is still very tentative after coming back from his illness. I'd love to see a little more of Taylor but the coaches seem determined to break him in slowly!
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    If it makes him run like Vick, I'll take the trade-off. If not, we should bring in Tebow for a little ball security seminar.
  14. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Thanks for sharing the video, AZ. When you rewind it, I noticed a couple of things:

1. JD looked good right up until the pick six. I know that's kind of the story of his career, but it's frustrating to watch. So much potential that is squandered (in large part) because of poor decision making. Really hope he has two more years as a Gator. Thoughts on whether he will medical redshirt?

2. Mack Brown looked like our best back. He runs north to south, lowers his shoulder, and seems to block pretty well when asked to. That said, I fully expect Jones to retake that spot over the next couple of weeks. Watching the game live, he was exhausted after about every carry. When he gets back to 100%, he will be our best HB.

3. Murphy looks great running the ball, and he seems to have no problem throwing on the run. I think that he's going to have trouble throwing out of the pocket unless our WR's can step up. Even when Driskel was in the game, it took two to three seconds too long for them to get open. The difference was Murphy creating more time. Don't think we can count on that against better defensive teams, but we'll see.

4. There were a few plays where WR's were wide open down field. I think, in large part, the QB's are being told that unless they have 1v1 coverage from the get go, to check further up field.

5. The offensive line looked pretty mediocre against a bad Tennessee line. Hopefully we can get healthy, but I think we are really missing Greene's presence this year.
  15. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I don't see the issue with Driskel choosing to throw the pick. If the ball had been out in front of Burton, it would have been fine; but it was not. Don't know if getting hit caused the off target throw or not.

The Oline is definitely becoming a concern--again.
  16. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +560
    I am not sure I agree, I saw several throws that were low...

The one Patton could have caught, I realize that was sort of a scramble play, but Patton was wide open and Murphy could not get enough zip on the ball..

he also completed a pass to Dunbar across the middle that was quite low but Dunbar slid and caught.

Then there was an incomplete throw that he threw while rolling out to his right that could have been picked but was weak and bounced in front of the UT defender's feet...

And then he threw the short flare to Ajagbe that was quite low and Ajagbe could not hang on, if he threw it to Ajagbe's chest that ws a TD.

Other than the short throw to Ajagbe, the other three throws had me wondering whether Murphy does not have the arm strength to consistently hit the longer throws, esp. when he is scrambling and does not set his feet.
  17. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +572
    The Dunbar throw was the long one for the first down, no? If that is the kind of inaccuracy that we are going to get from him, I'll take it. The vision and timing that came with that pass were so nice that the pass' lowness isn't likely to erase the positive impacts of such passing...unless of course he doesn't realize that he is going to throw it low and hits a defender, but I'd imagine that he is familiar with his strength at this point.
  18. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Did you see his throw to Dunbar?
  19. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +560
    You might be right, if he can choose to throw itlow where only the WR can catch it, then that is all to the good...

But there were three intermediate throws that I listed above that were all low, and 2 were incompletes, so I don't know yet if he has the arm strength to hit the intermediate route yet or not.

Given that he is 6-1 and a scrambler, he will be throwing on the run and will need to be able to hit those throws without being able to step up in the pocket...

Believe me, I hope he proves me dead wrong, and I will happily feast on crow if he does!
  20. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Yeah I don't think that we yet have the sample size to know either way, but my hypothesis is that he should be aware of his limitations after so many years of throwing. Therefore, if we see balls skipping on the ground in front of receivers, I'd argue that this is less likely to be an arm strength problem and more likely to just be an awful pass (a la Tebow's awful throws in the NFL).

Obviously, if he is inclined to often throw such awful passes, that's really no better than an unexpected lack of arm strength, but since it was his first game, I'm hoping that lack of rhythm is his issue. A few of his balls looked very nice (not that first fish that he threw though!), so he could come out and do almost anything this weekend.