all in one computers

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    Actually Norton is already paid for till June, since I can put it on more than one computer. I'm going to read up on Microsoft Security Essentials first (never heard of it till now) before I do anything on Norton. Thanks.
  2. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    When I posted the link to the HP Pavilion computer at Amazon.com that I was thinking of buying, the price was $649. I just went back to the site, and it says there are only 2 left in stock, and the price is now $792. How is that for price gouging?

Edit: Now it's $900. "Do I hear $1,000?"
  3. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,587
    I'm not going to definitely say that AVs you pay for might not be better but I do know from experience with my own computers and quite a few others that MSE and other free programs do an excellent job when coupled with common sense approaches to web surfing. I use this as well as Malwarebytes and some other things and have had excellent results. Doesn't mean I can't get an infection since they are coming out with new ways to screw people on an hour by hour basis but I am like a lot of people who stick with what works for them. The most important thing though is for you to do what you feel most comfortable with. I would hate to tell you to drop Norton and get MSE and a week later you come back and say your computer got infected. I really shouldn't have said you were wasting your money because that is not totally right.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  4. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    I've found out that Microsoft discontinued MSE for Windows 8 (which I will now wind up getting). 8 has a program called Windows Defender, which works only if it detects that the computer does not have another anti-virus program. Since Defender is something new, and sounds sort of like a benchwarmer, I'll probably stay with Norton for peace of mind.
  5. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,587
    Don't rely on Window's Defender for sure. It's been around since Windows Vista and is not a true AV.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I bought my wife a 27" iMac last year. She loves the thing. I'm not a big fan of Apple but I'll admit to liking the iMac. Got a pretty good deal on a refurbished one directly from Apple. It's quiet, fast, and has amazing screen resolution.

As far as the printer goes, I'd go buy a new one and make sure it allows for wireless network printing. If you're going to get an all-in-one computer, don't clutter the area with a printer and cables.
  7. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +863
    I got a great deal on a Epson Artison 835. Best all-in-one inkjet printer I've ever owned & it's wireless. Got it for $90 & also got a Samsung lazer(b&w only) ptr for $50.
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    i got an iMac last month and couldnt use my old reliable HP printer...ended up by a brother wireless printer/scanner/copier.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,587
  11. gatorbronco

gatorbronco Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I'm thinking of the HP Envy 20-d094 with 20" screen. It is a touch screen, but does not come with wireless mouse or keypad. I have a wireless mouse and the keypads are not that expensive. It can be purchased from Best Buy for $699.99 with free shipping.
  12. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,742
    Sounds good, I'll take a look at it. I have an 18" screen on my present Dell. For the life of me I don't understand why people need a 23" or 27" screen on a desktop computer, but they seem to be standard now. Is it to look at from across the room, or for the full impact of games or something? When I'm reading a computer screen, I don't want to have to keep turning my head like I'm watching a tennis match.