all in one computers

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,103
    Get an IPad and be done with it. This thing is freaking amazing.
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    Here's a link to the HP Pavilion AIO I'm thinking of buying. What I like (aside from the pre-installed Windows 7, which might be better for me than 8) is the processor's 3.2 Ghz (which is what I have now on my Dell desktop). The other AIOs I've seen under #1,000 have less Ghz, which makes me wonder how much less speed or power they have. (One AIO reviewer said that his would freeze when he tried to run two programs at once.) But I also wonder if the higher Ghz would make this AIO less quiet. (Since there's nowhere I know to see it, I'll have to buy it to find out.)

Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-23-1030-23-Inch-Desktop/dp/B008I72QVI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  3. delandgator

delandgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    I have had this computer since last 4th of July when my old computer got hit by lightning and love it. Have not had any speed or power issues at all. I do software consulting mainly from home so I use it all the time with multiple programs, VPNs open without any issues. It is very quiet as well.
  4. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +748
    When you say "this computer," you're referring to the HP Pavilion 23-1030 23-Inch, correct?

If so, does it have an Ethernet port? The linked site mentions only USB ports. I'm currently hooked up to an AT&T modum using an Ethernet cable. Without an Ethernet port I assume that means I would have to get a USB cable for Internet connection.

You say it's "very quiet." Yesterday I went to Staples and they had two HP AIOs (not this one) that were running. I put my ear down to each one and couldn't hear anything. How does that compare to your "quiet"?
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,183
    While there will/should be a port to hardwire your machine to the modem you really should consider getting a wireless router. You can get a decent one for around $50 at Wally World or order on-line from a place like TigerDirect. That way you are not worried about a physical connection and you can move around with it more easily.
  6. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +748
    Well, everything was hooked up by AT&T (as part of AT&T U-verse, which includes my internet, phone and TV), so I don't know how I would integrate a wireless router with what they've set up. It may be easier just to ask them for a USB cable (if they'll give me one).
  7. swoosh69

swoosh69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    I have uverse and the modem is a wireless router. Do you have a wi-fi device (smart phone, ipad, ipod touch,etc.) that you can use to test to see if it's already sending out wi-fi? If not, just have someone test it who does have a smartphone/ipad.
  8. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +748
    One of the two TVs has a wireless modem. It's controlled by a device called a Wireless Access Point (WAP) (is that a "wireless router"?) that's attached to the modem beside my computer, which modem is connected to the computer by an Ethernet cable. I don't have any wi-fi device.
  9. swoosh69

swoosh69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Yeah, I have a WAP for one of my wireless receivers too, but don't think that puts out wifi...my uverse router does have the wireless network name and password on the listed right on the router...look for that. On mine, it's near the top/side of the device.
  10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I think an easy way to check is to look at the labels next to the lights on your router. If one of them says wireless then your router can support wireless. I suspect thats the case given that your TV is connected to a WAP. No need to use wireless, this computer can be connected just like your current computer, with an ethernet cable. In the link above if you scroll down to Datasheet (about halfway down the page) you'll see that the specs list a network interface with the standard ethernet connection. Also supports wireless.
  11. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +748
    Thanks, I didn't notice the datasheet.

Under "Network Interface," it says "10/100/1000 Base-T network interface." That means Ethernet?
  12. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,183
    My bad coco I was thinking you were getting a laptop and that's why I suggested wireless. Since you have a WAP you would have been fine but you should be able to connect your new computer just like the old one.
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    yes
  14. Jupgator

Jupgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    Back to the antivirus, I used to have McAfee and then Norton. McAfee seemed to interfere alot so switched to Norton. It used alot of memory I thought but the main problem with them was it kept telling me it needed renewal when it didn't. Have used Microsoft Security Essentials for several years now. Not only free, but non intrusive and it works great.
  15. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +748
    It must be the case that McAfee and Norton (I've tried both and prefer Norton) catch or block more things than Microsoft Security Essentials or other free programs. Otherwise they couldn't sell them. Surely they aren't just scams. I guess I'm just too paranoid to depend on Microsoft to protect me from everything.
  16. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +54
    There have been a couple of cases where the Microsoft Security Essentials has found malware not found by McAfee. There was a discussion about that in this forum within the last 6 months or so. MSE is preferred by the vast majority of the technical folks who frequent this forum for many reasons but Jupgator gave an excellent summary of why it is superior. It works very efficiently and effectively without getting in your face.
  17. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,183
    This! No way I am going to pay for Norton or McAfee when good AVs like MSE are out there for free.
  18. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    Only reason I use Norton is it is free for Comcast customers. Other friends of mine use Avast which is free.
  19. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +748
    So if I do stubbornly decide to install Norton on my new computer, while I am waiting for it to download the computer will be protected by Microsoft Security Essentials, right? So I want to have to sweat it out.
  20. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,183
    That's not the best way to do it if you insist on wasting your money. Best thing is to download the program and save it. Then go off-line and unistall MSE. Then install Norton while you are off-line. That eliminates you being unprotected for any time at all while being on-line and it also eliminates 2 AVs running at the same time.