all in one computers

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +681
    If you've used nothing but Dell computers all your life, how hard is it to switch to a MAC?
  2. FLfan

FLfan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,200
    It's weird. I have an iphone, iPod, and iPad, but still prefer windows format for my PC. I find it simpler. Go figure.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +681
    Based on just what web reading I've done tonight, I think I'll buy a MAC. (To mention one advantage: MACs are targeted less than PCs by malware.)
  4. FLfan

FLfan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,200
    Good luck coco. Let us know about it.
  5. gator0254

gator0254 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    You can buy converter cables that will change the interface to a USB plug-in

a quick search for them is below

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=parallel+port+to+usb+adapter&gbv=2&oq=parallel+port+&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.3.0l10.2047.6359.0.13813.14.12.0.2.2.0.234.1515.0j9j1.10.0...0.0...1c.1.-muLo7j6AuA
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    I've only used windows computers but my wife and kids convienced me to get an iMac. Havent actually opened the box and set it up yet. Plan on doing that on new years day. Dont think it will be difficult to switch, just plug it in and off you go.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +681
    I'm just hoping that all the created files I have on my Dell can be loaded onto a MAC without any compatibility problem. (Mainly doc and pdf.)
  8. vaxcardinal

Ratings Received:
    +630
    it depends on what software you use on your MAC. For PDF files, Adobe is free so no problems there. For Microsoft office files you can use "office" compatable free stuff like google docs. Or, you can buy microsoft office for a MAC or you can buy MAC software called pages (for word), numbers (for excel), keynote (for powerpoint). This software suite allows a richer document "creation" capability and is also compatable with the microsoft suite. I went with this option.

As for printers...I have an old HP 720 printer and have a USB adapter that enables be to use with my current windows computer so I plan on using that for my MAC.
  9. vaxcardinal

Ratings Received:
    +630
    got my imac setup...its blazing fast. Takes a lot of getting used to, especially the trackpad. Google will be your best friend :)
  10. vaxcardinal

Ratings Received:
    +630
    ran into problem #1...no compatible driver for my old HP printer so looks like i'll be getting a new printer.
  11. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    In my opinion it is a total waste of money to pay for an antivirus. When I am working with people and their free trials run out I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials although there are others which are free and work well. Also,
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +681
    A PC AIO I'm looking at (won't be getting a Mac after all) has 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. What do 2.0 and 3.0 mean?

Also, will a "Slim Tray Super Multi DVD Burner" burn CDs? I've burned plenty of CDs with my present Dell, but it won't burn a DVD.
  13. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +681
    Noise is a problem for me because of a chronic ear condition. I have read that AIOs are quiet, but how quiet is quiet? I have not yet actually sat in front of one that's running. I would appreciate hearing from those with AIOs in terms of how really quiet they are. Would I be better off buying a PC with a tower (which of course has fan noise but will not be sitting right in front of me like an AIO), or do I not need to worry?
  14. FLfan

FLfan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,200
    Hey again,
    I am sitting in front of my AIO right now and it is so quiet that I actually leaned right next to it to try to hear anything. It is really quiet, coco.

I will go to the Samsung site and get you a link to read the specs. Also, perhaps you should go to a Best Buy or HHGregg..don't have to purchase from them, and ask look at the various new models and get their feedback and ask them your questions also.
    Unfortunately, the store is noisy, but in my silent office at this moment, this model AIO is super quiet.
  15. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    The difference is transfer rate. Here's a link that can explain it better:

http://www.usr.com/education/peripherals0.asp

More than likely the reason your current Dell won't burn DVDs is it is a CD burner and won't burn or play DVDs. On the other hand a DVD burner should also burn CDs.
  16. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    I'm happy w\ my Gateway PC & ASUS laptop but I do prefer Apple tablets & phones.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +681
    Thanks for the responses. The AIO I'm thinking of buying comes pre-installed with Windows 7. I have never used 7 (I have Windows XP), but from what I've read it would be far preferable to Windows 8 for what I do (web surfing and word processing). I don't game, photoshop, watch movies, listen to music, or tweet. I have never owned a smart phone (I have a plain old "cell phone" for emergencies), laptop, ipad, egad, or any other computing essential other than a big old Dell desktop. Why would I need Windows 8? I know I would have to get used to 7, but is there any reason I should beware getting it instead of 8?
  18. vaxcardinal

Ratings Received:
    +630
    for what you do, either is fine.
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    I agree with vax, I have one computer still running XP and one running Windows 7. It won't take you long to get used to 7 although there are some differences so if you have any questions just ask.
  20. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    We have had a 23" HP Touchsmart 600 for just over 2 years. We love it. Very quiet, although it does have a fan. Basically these computers are similar to laptops in design, so that should be an indicator of loudness if you want a comparison. Like a laptop, you won't really be able take it apart and work on the insides, but if that's okay, I'd say they are a good option. We love ours.

We also use a wireless printer to minimize clutter. Plus the computer is wireless eliminating the Cat5 cable.