All-American DE Sam announces he's gay

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_n_sc, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    We are called to love everybody, sc. I struggled with the "judge not" but let me ask you this. If you were my best friend and you were cheating on your wife and stealing from your employer, can I call you out on it? Christians are called to be the salt of the earth. You cannot if you ignore sin. And certainly the Bible warns you to take your own "inventory" first.

That being said the one thing we are NOT to judge is someone's relationship with God. I.e. "If you were really a Christian........". He will be that judge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    I dont know if that's true. But if it did happen, then would it be simply because of who Tebow is as a Christian or because he seems like a nice guy, good teammate and not a guy who would say something to that effect publically? To be fair, whether people love or hate Tebow they probably hold him to a higher standard simply because he's got his act together where people who are trainwrecks off the field dont. Crazy people do crazy stuff. People who slip from their own high standards are probably gonna hear more about it because that's just how people are.
  3. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Read the next verse, senor. "Go and sin no more!"
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    Well, definitely not with you. FWIW, you, Jdr and Vertigo are definitely the best and most sane representatives of the Left/(D) point of view on this board.

Tebow gets leeway from me too, but not to the point that I wouldn't call him out if he said something inflammatory or stupid. But he doesn't, which is why I just don't get the constant vitriol and snarky attitudes directed toward him. It's not like he blames wild fires and hurricanes on Disney's willingness to accept the money of paying customers (Gay Days) or anything similar.

So he's religious. Big deal. Let it friggin' go already.

Reminds me of my dad's former (illogical) hatred of Roger Staubach. So he's religious. Lots of people are. Big deal. Get over it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +810
    As it should be. Wife's cousin was (dead now) openly gay and we got along very well. Now his "friend" who got drunk and put his hand down the back of my shorts when I had bent over is lucky not to have woken up with his clothes out of style.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    As I said, people who set high standards for themselves are always ripe for mocking (whether funny & good natured or not), and not a few people would take delight in their being taken down a notch.
  7. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Agree with your posts, senor. Got to give CoCo a break though. Somebody stole his term paper in Seminary School.:) Perhaps some Divine intervention?o_O
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    Sad but true.

Sometimes I want to use the LBGT chant on my friends on the left: "They're here. They're Christian. And they're not going anywhere. . . " So get over it and try and seize on the commonality instead of obsessing on the differences. Be the better man and if they don't follow suit, walk away. Because there is nothing you can do to change their minds anymore than they can change yours.

People who hate Tim because he's openly Christian are just as ridiculous as those who mock Gays, IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Jesus spoke of it more than Heaven.

Matthew 10:28
    says, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    I do think the avoidance of the speculation was the smartest part of this. Good point. He was apparently already hearing the words "character concern." There is absolutely no reason that this guy who made himself into a great player in college and became a real leader for a highly overachieving team should ever have to be grouped in with the violent criminals that often get that same label. Much better to have it out there. Somebody will draft him. I wouldn't be surprised if New England goes for him. They could certainly use a rush 3-4 linebacker and they are always looking for a deal. I really doubt he fails to get drafted unless he bombs the combine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    I think the Christianity is somewhat incidental. He's a goody-two-shoes, or the Student Government type, and people always secretly loath those types. Being that positive & good natured or having your stuff together so publically always arouses suspicion or contempt - classic projection.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
  13. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Man you sound like me (18 years ago). Good deeds far outweigh the bad. If there is a God and He judges me I'm in. NOT.

You may be a good person in human terms, jax, but we cannot understand the holiness of God. Take a quick test? :

Ever told a lie? Would make you a liar.
    Ever stolen anything regardless of value? Would make you a thief.
    Ever used God;s name as a cuss word? Would maker you a blasphemer.
    Ever looked as a woman with lust? Would make you an adulterer at heart.

So on judgement day would you be innocent or guilty? Heaven or Hell?

Jax, the Bible teaches none are good, not one. We are saved by grace, through faith, not of any works. If you could save yourself Jesus was sacrificed in vain.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,404
    Sure absolutely but wouldn't those 2 things in fact be doing harm to one or the other. This thread started out one poster calling sam a sexual deviant with out knowing him or ever meeting him or even knowing his religious beliefs. Those examples listed are not the same. Sam spoke of hiding his true feelings his whole life and now coming forward being honest with not only his self but everyone. Deviant means departing from the usual or accepted standard. In our society, it's becoming more excepted. i understand being against it do to religion and not wanting to conform but There is no consensus for it, and if he has no religion preference and he is held to someones religious beliefs that are not his own isn't that making him conform to someone else's view on life?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    And all the "Is he gay?" "Is he not?" media circus/crap a la Te'o.

Basically said, "I'm gay. And I'm good. Deal with it."
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,106
    Don't ya just love buzz words/phrases.

"Character issues." Nice catchall.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,404
    I think it's understated just how hard that must have been, knowing the hate people spew. On social media, man seeing the vitriol spewed over s recruit flipping was hard to swallow just imagine the hate people share with him.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. GatrHeel

GatrHeel Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Not sure if everyone has seen this, but Kraft has already said gender preference isn't a factor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-would-welcome-michael-sam-were-about-winning

Some refreshing quotes there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    weMany of the comments in this thread regarding the Old Testament law do not recognize that the OT contained different types of laws. Some were God’s moral laws; some were the criminal and civil code of the people of Israel, for whom God was the government; some were environmental and sanitary regulations; and some were advice for smart living or consumer protection. We have the analogous divisions of laws in our country. We say murder is morally wrong in our culture, and we also set speed limits. There is no moral difference whether the speed limit is 55 mph or 70 mph, but if you violate a speed limit you are fined.

Pigs can carry the roundworm Trichinella spiralis, which causes trichinosis. Dead animals carry other harmful microorganisms. Shellfish are the filters and garbage collectors of the sea. Not eating or touching them was a sanitary regulation. What was the “punishment” for touching a pig carcass or eating shellfish? Leviticus 11:24-25: “You will make yourselves unclean by these; whoever touches their carcasses will be unclean till evening. Whoever picks up one of their carcasses must wash their clothes, and they will be unclean till evening.”

So, those were not sin, that is, a moral violation. They were standard health and safety procedures. Interestingly, the germ theory of disease was not fully accepted until almost the 20th century. An old, out-of-print book, None of These Diseases, showed numerous examples of how the Mosaic law made good public health policy. By the way, I don't think footballs were ever made of pigskins. They were pig bladders covered with cowhide leather.

It is interesting how forward-thinking the OT was. Ezekiel 4:9: “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself ... (NIV)." Multi-grain bread made of complex carbohydrates, exactly as touted today by health-conscience people.

What bothers me most in this thread, though, is that while many commend Sam for standing up for what he believes they also attack born2beagator for doing the same thing. Born did not call for any sanctions on Sam. He merely expressed his belief regarding homosexual behavior. And for that he is called a bigot.

Promoting acceptance of homosexuality is a major cause of the media. The Olympics are supposed to be apolitical. But the president intentionally and publically appointed a gay athlete to lead the US delegation in protest of Russian policy towards gays. When that athlete had to withdraw the president appointed another gay athlete to take her place. During the opening procession Matt Lauer explained, with a touch of sadness in his voice, that the rainbow coats worn by the German team were not a statement against Russian gay policies. Who would think they were a statement, when so many countries had multi-colored coats? It apparently was important to NBC to bring up the issue.

Anyone who stands in the way of the agenda will be cut down. Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson, the head of the family of the most successful reality TV show ever, was fired from the show for expressing his beliefs regarding homosexuality. How about the star of The Bachelor, who was asked if there will ever be a gay bachelor show? Why was he even asked that? And his response: “I respect [gay people] but, honestly, I don’t think it’s a good example for kids …” For having an opinion that fell outside the agenda, he was forced to apologize and agree to meet with the LGBT community.

The agenda is not understanding or coexistence, it is official acceptance. When that occurs then anyone who speaks against it will not only be punished in the public square, but I believe it will become a crime. Standing for Biblically based beliefs might soon require enduring more than just name-calling on an internet forum.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    As a Catholic, who attended a Protestant school I got this all the time. My answer is this... If you accepted God in your life then following that by acting the right way should go hand in hand. Nothing that A poster says on gatorcountry is going to change my mind about that. I do my best to live the right way but of course I'v checked out a girl, lied, cursed, and accidently stole an Icee from the gas station(I really just walked right out and forgot to pay, it was weird). Yeah I am a sinner, we all are so I don't feel too bad about it.