All-American DE Sam announces he's gay

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_n_sc, Feb 9, 2014.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    Many of the statements of support will come from people with "street" backgrounds too.
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I also don't recall them attacking like starved pack dogs the way they would if, say, TT had made comments like that (which he wouldn't, because he's not that stupid).
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    And Christians.

Just saying. That culture will be his greatest hurdle. Perhaps good things and a change in attitudes will result. We can only hope.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    Well, its very convenient that your argument relies on a hypothetical that you say wouldnt happen anyways to prove itself.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Pat Robertson.

That better?
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +538
    The point is that it is a little ridiculous to treat this as a purely white/black or urban/suburban/rural type of thing. Given trends, I doubt his biggest problem is going to be with younger black players at all. Look at how little trouble he had with it at Mizzou. I tend to think that he might have some problems with some individual assistant coaches, although this announcement might help him avoid those specific coaches.

Every locker room has a specific culture often originating from the leaders, both coaches and older players. While some coaches and older players will undoubtedly set up bad environments for him, I would think that the ones that don't will be more than willing to grab a player for a really nice deal later in the draft. And that match will be best for both Sam and for that franchise.

I doubt he receives much public criticism from current athletes at all. If he does, it will likely be from black athletes for no other reason than most NFL players are black right now. But there has been very little defense from "the left" for Vilma or Chris Culliver on their prior comments. Of course, for every incident like that you get somebody like Brendon Ayanbadejo, so I also don't think this is an issue of race.
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    Not really. I think people expect to hear that from him, and I thought we were talking about people in the sport or with some sort of at least tangental relationship to it.
  8. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    If he doesn't get the draft spot some thinks he should, does this make the NFL party to a discrimination lawsuit?
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    FWIW, there has also been a conspicuous lack of vitriol pointed at Vilma or Culliver. For instance, where is your boy Al Sharpton on this? Jesse? (I do expect a well crafted and sane statement from Obama, FWIW).

Look, I hope you are right. And for you to be right, he definitely has to land with the right organization (i.e. not the Miami Dolphins ;) ). I'm just saying that the uber-macho street culture is going to be one of, if not the highest hurdle he has to overcome and I have yet to hear anyone in the media bring this up. I think that is for obvious reasons. It's squishy political ground they are hesitant to traverse.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I'm not sure what your point is. If it comes from someone like that, we will get the expected pointed vitriol from the left. If it comes from a less convenient target, then the message will be resoundingly squishier and decidedly quieter. Do you deny this?
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    I doubt it, even if a GM is stupid enough to say on record that they passed based on his sexuality.
  12. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    How can I deny or confirm a hypothetical scenario?
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    From everything I've heard, very tough suit to win. This is why I do not doubt his intentions and think this was a smart decision on his part. No wanton speculation and all the BS that creates. No need to speculate now. It's out there and the onus is now on the NFL and it's franchises. I personally love it for all the conflict it's going to create as they weigh his "baggage" against the bad PR of not drafting him. Have fun with that Roger.
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Fair enough. We'll just have to wait and see.
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    They'll pass for the same reason(s) they pass on Tim. They don't want the media circus.
  16. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    I mean there are clear examples of athletes being called out for homophobia. I don't know how one can measure the relative intensity of that calling out, or to prove it in such away that disabuses your preheld beliefs about how "the left" operates.
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Well, I'm speculating. I never stated any of my opinions as definitive fact. It's my belief based on what I've witnessed from the left and right over the years. Of course, I also think you are being a little coy here. I mean, if Warren Sapp made a statement to the effect of "I don't want no homos in my locker room," and Timmy made a statement to the effect of "homosexuality is a sin," which one takes the most heat from the media.

Just your opinion. Which one gets the harsher treatment (For the record, I'd consider the former more offensive).
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    They would both get called out on it. Like I said, I don't know how you measure who gets called out worse, especially since more people know who TT is than Warren Sapp. On the flip side, people who identify with TT may think that the criticism is worse (when it may be the same or not as bad), simply because they already identify with him.
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I just know what I listen to on national radio and my guess is TT would be raked over the coals while Sapp's comments would be criticized, but ultimately laughed off as Sapp being Sapp (Pussy/Jock Sniffer way out, IMO).
  20. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    FWIW, I feel like with Tebow he gets a great deal of leeway from me on questionable stuff because he's one of us (Gators). I didnt call out my racist relative who's pushing 90 and dropped the n-bomb at Xmas. The lines are not always politcally drawn either.