All-American DE Sam announces he's gay

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_n_sc, Feb 9, 2014.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    Meh, we're splitting hairs. True, not necessarily anti-gay. But still a little homophobic at the very least.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    It's homophobic, but not necessarily anti-gay.
  3. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,754
    I suggest you go back and read the Bible.
    And perhaps try to understand what the ancient church fathers were trying to accomplish.
    almost the entire scripture, with the exceptions of the epistles, and perhaps the last chapter of the new testament, is from an oral history.
    The book of Luke is based on the oral testament of someone who wasn't even there.
    And, "where were you when the earth was formed" is exactly what God asked Job when Job was arrogant enough to question God as the judge, not man.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    First person to act like a jerk I've seen on this thread… and with a name like "gatorrev". Go figure. Before you attack me, please see where I responded to Lacuna in post 168. Leviticus was originally cited so I addressed Leviticus. When New Testament was cited I addressed the new testament.

There was no attempt to be cute. I guarantee I've read the Bible as much as any here.. and what is more I have thought about it. A lot. Not just heard what some preacher said. Just because you have "rev" in your signature doesn't make you an authority on the Bible. Your post simply attacks maliciously and presumptively (see my response to Lacuna) rather than being thoughtful and Christian (i.e., Christ like).

Finally, you call me a bigot? Citing the Bible and asking questions is bigoted? Against what? In the middle of a fair and open discussion you come in with "I'm teflon and your glue" type of a response, along with calling my post "cute". Why do I try on open message boards…..PS - I really hope you are NOT a reverend and are not representing Christ's teachings of generosity, hope, faith and tolerance.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    Well, let me spell it out for you. The reaction by many of those on the left, specifically those connected to the (D) party, to a great many of his actual detractors/tormentors will be greatly muted in comparison to, say, TT making a negative comment about him. In fact, they will probably still try to pin everything negative related to this issue and this player's treatment to (R) policies and some general allusion to white people rather than acknowledging this obvious fracture within their ranks. Believe it or not, there are a hell of a lot of black folks who vehemently disagree with the parallels drawn between the struggles of LBGT's and their own.
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,755
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/06/camel-bones-suggest-error-in-bible/?intcmp=trending
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I don't see it as more homophobic than the well-worn, old Seinfeld reference still used around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    Okay. If you say so.

I mean, I just told a N-word joke, but I'm not a racist. I don't hate gays, but I definitely want you and everyone else to know that I'm not. You know, should you think that congratulatory hug was . . . . well, something else.

Sorry, but I'm finding the back and forth on this part of the debate kinda funny.
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    But I'm assuming they were domesticated in other parts of the region, say Egypt and Arabia for instance. If true, that doesn't exactly discount their usage at that time as they could have been passing through. Sorry, but I hate the use of "definitive" in things like this. It may be good evidence to pursue further research on the topic, but hardly "definitive," IMO.

Plus, the mere use of the word "definitive" in archaeology/anthropology is kinda silly as the goalposts keep moving. At one point, we "definitively" believe the first civilization occurred in Mesopotamia. Yet we have since found even older civilizations in nearby areas.
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    That's not really a connundrum, if anything, you're saying that because of their political affinities, they will get the benefit of the doubt for (these as yet hypothetical) questionable statements or behavior.
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,744
    I consider religious bigotry to be pretty low-class...and, sadly, I saw a lot of that in your tone and content. Too damn bad if you don't like it either. Btw...there's only one "r" in the name and no, I'm not a reverend.

Well, anyone who's read the Bible and has studied it would have come across Acts (among other New Testament chapters) and read exactly why Judaic customs weren't mandatory for Gentiles--or later, for any Christian. But yet, I see plenty of people gleefully referencing Leviticus as an attempted type of "gotcha" moment for Christians (presumably, to point out perceived hypocrisy in paying attention to what the Bible says)--and, indeed, there were many subsequent posts that continued the tone with mocking jabs about shrimp and shrimping (did you notice those?).

So if you were already aware that the Judaic law doesn't apply to Christians--and the why--then it really does beg the question of why you brought it up in the first place. It obviously doesn't apply.

"rev" refers to my favorite soccer team; and I never claimed to be an authority--you assumed that.

I noticed that from many gay-rights proponents: they automatically brand any faith-based opposition as "Christian fundamentalism" and are among the first to try and silence Christians for speaking out what their faith calls them to say. That and the misuse of "judge not, let ye be judged." That too is erroneously cited. It isn't judging someone to call a sin a sin. No one blinks an eye when people say Aaron Hernandez is a murderer--and we don't even have a conviction yet!

Now, if that doesn't apply to you, then you have my apology. But your posts on the subject thus far seem to convey something very different.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Just seems like not wanting to be thought of as gay or be viewed as a sexual object by men is the essence of homophobia. I mean the whole "no homo" thing got clowned on ad nauseum, so I don't think anyone ever took it all that seriously as a statement of intense homophobia.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    Yah if only Michael Sam was a prominent young, black male athlete from an urban area, like for example the Houston area. Or if only his teammates at Mizzou, who knew about this and apparently had no problem with it as he was considered one of the defensive leaders of a very successful team, weren't all rural white males.
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    Furthermore, you will not see nearly the "outcry" or "outrage" had the negative comments been sourced to conservative Christians, for instance. Thus the conundrum. Many on the left will want and expect ruthless criticism of any critic of Sam, while others will want to tread more carefully. Will we see a harsh criticism of "street culture" or the usual political deflection to the usual boogymen? I think the latter.
  15. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    If you say so. There's plenty of examples of people slamming rather homophobic stuff athletes have said. Tim Hardaway, that CB on the 49ers, etc. I don't recall many people "on the left" leaping to their defense.
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    And yet. . . .

It is what it is. You say you have gay friends. I'm curious what they would think if, say, you and I were fast friends who hadn't seen each other in years. We shared a hug then said "no homo" to each other.

Yes, I love Matso Ball soup. . . but "No Jew!"

Frankly, I do not see how this could be construed as anything but negative if you were gay.
  17. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Yeah, they probably don't like it. But they probably don't like people saying "that's so gay" as a comment about things that are lame either, or "I'm gay for [non-sexual man crush]" either.
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    And if those in the NFL who will give him the most hell were guys like Tim Tebow. Yes, I guess it would be nice if the world conveniently divided itself down (R) v (D) lines. But it doesn't. My guess: First outlandish, homophobic comment will come from a guy who looks like Richard Sherman and grew up in a neighborhood like Richard Sherman's, but didn't exactly take the Richard Sherman route. Or maybe it will come from some Christian white guy and folks like you will have the red meat you crave. My money, though, is on the former.

Also, what the hell does this response have to do with the post you quoted? Sounds like you're arguing a point you wanted me to make rather than the point I actually made.
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,571
    No, they probably don't. And I'm guilty as charged on that. Still doesn't make it right or that it doesn't cause pain for those lampooned.
  20. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,330
    So he can live his life in the open. Or do you suppose he could openly have a boyfriend while in the NFL and nobody would notice or mention it?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1