All 128 head coach gigs ranked...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by brimley, Apr 9, 2014.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

I don't think 8 wins saves his job. I think it has to be 9 and that is still not a given. If he wins 10 he keeps his job, no doubt.

And to one of the points above, mediocrity for Florida football is a disaster :)
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

I almost never include bowl games / sec-c games in these guesstimates because we have no idea who we might be playing.

I'm saying 8-4 in the regular season, a 4 game improvement.

And I'm not saying Muschamp is Spurrier. And I'm not saying 8-4 is "the standard," or any other strawman arguments anyone wants to erect here.
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ur wrong, buts what's new.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

I guess the question is, are we measuring improvement only upon last year. Or are we measuring where a program should be in year four under one coach at a program the magnitude of Florida. I think it is where the program should be at year four. That is when one should truly own the program.

8 wins just doesn't do it, I don't think. 9 maybe/probably. 10 for sure.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

We as in the fans? Almost certainly not. Again, this is not an endorsement from me that "8 wins is OK," it's my belief that it will keep the roar quiet enough such that Foley will give Muschamp another year.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Yes, we as fans but also I think it is probably a good measuring stick period. And believe me, I know you are not saying 8 wins is OK. I am not questioning your fandom at all.
    I think we simply disagree is all.
    I think we have to get to at least 9 in order for him to keep his job and then it is not a given if our losses are blowouts to rivals and such. I think 10 and there is absolutely zero arguement - he stays.
  7. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

I think the easy answer to the OP question is, when do you need a HC? I thought that Bob Stoops was the perfect fit to take over from Spurrier but he won a NC in his second season at OU and he was adored (and well paid) there so he decided to stand pat. Nothing wrong with that logic. I still say that Machen had more to do with getting Meyer here than Foley doing his preliminary connecting. Or at least Machen helped to bridge a gap between the two. Muschamp probably was the best choice, on paper, at the time. And yes, he was/is a HC in training.

But to put it all into perspective, Muschamp may flame out this year (or next) and we will need to go through the growing pains again. But as the article states, there is NO reason that it won't right itself. It just is frustrating when the need for a new HC doesn't match when a good fit is available. JMHO
  8. garettk

garettk Member

I never thought of it this way, but based on a trend line, a four win improvement next year puts UF on a projection to go 12-0 in 2015. Gotta look at the bright side people!:)
  9. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

We should have never lost 8 games last year to begin with. Perhaps you're forgiving and understanding of the Georgia Southern debacle--but I'm not. There's simply no excuse for that. None.

I suspect 8 wins might be enough for Foley to allow Muschamp to be on the job--but it won't win over the fanbase by any stretch of the imagination. 8-4 is a rebuilding season at a program like Florida...it shouldn't be what's "tolerated." In year four, if a coach doesn't have it together, than we need to look elsewhere.

We get LSU and South Carolina at home this year...and though both are tough teams, the score against both of them was very competitive last year. I realize both are very talented teams and they'll be close games---but at a minimum, we should win one of those two.

And I'm sorry, but if Muschamp loses to the dawgs for the fourth straight year, then he deserves anything that comes to him. One thing Spurrier and Muschamp did was consistently beat your rivals. Let's not talk about Muschamp's record vs our rivals. It isn't pretty.
  10. antny

antny Well-Known Member

anothe remark about staring? i didn't see that coming.

i guess stoops is a better coach than spurrier too. i mean with all that visor throwing and red faced staring and yelling he does the ole ball coach clearly isn't as calm as stoops on the sideline. sounds silly to me .....silly, not funny
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

What? This isn't about me being forgiving. That was a terrible loss that should have never happened. Why are people ascribing their strawmen arguments to me?

This was my sole, singular point. I didn't say 8 wins was "the standard," I didn't say Muschamp rules and I certainly didn't say I was "forgiving and understanding" of the Georgia Southern debacle.
  12. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Georgia Southern is 116 and rising :)
  13. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

question Orange blue is this all that goes on this forum still or do people talk football now? Have all the good posters left?
  14. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

GATORAZ sighting. Dude you're like big foot or a UFO on here. Halley's Comet even!
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

This was a rhetorical question, right ;)
  16. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

My sole expectation of Muschamp is to go undefeated vs the SEC East. 6-0 in the division and no Georgia Southern clusterf**ks gets us to 9 wins. Is it enough to get to Atlanta? Maybe. But we got screwed drawing Bama and LSU from the west.
  17. GATORAZ

no
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Well the answer is that not much has changed - take from that what you will.
  19. GATORAZ

lols
  20. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Well, to be direct here: would you keep Muschamp with a 8-4 record? Not what Foley will do..what you will do?