Alex Collins

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ForniGator, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,467
    People are smart, muschamp wants the worst players on the field, he also wants to lose games, ....secretly, of course
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JAWS

JAWS Chatroom Hitman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +316
    I can understand people possibly doubting Matt Jones because other than FSU we have not seen what he is capable of. However, Muschamp has said since Spring that MJ is clearly our #1 back. I'm sure there's good reason for that.

What I don't get is the same people clamoring for Taylor to start even though we have even less proof of what he can do. Please don't bring up the mop up duty against Toledo. It's irrelevant. Kelvin Taylor may be a talented player and he may eventually be the star that we envisioned when we signed him, but we're only two games into the season and we haven't seen enough of anyone at this point to speculate who should be the #1 RB.

I think we should we should have a little patience with Matt before we discuss replacing him because his 1st game wasn't up to someone's standards. Heck, even if MJ isn't the guy we need, I'd start Showers before KT.
  3. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,251
    I think you are correct here. Seeing his game against Booker T. Washington, he already has the blocking scheme down that Miami Central utilizes.

He's got the speed and the wiggle, playing the best competition in the country in high school.

He is the real deal.
  4. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Gilly didn't play because even though he was better, Muschamp wanted unstoppable impenetrable blocking force that is Chris Rainey protecting John Brantley?

We would always get this crap with Meyer that so and so wasn't "invested." Apparently Robinson, Fullwood and Taylor invested all their money in Apple at $650 a share and are now screwed. Appears Jones must have invested well because he gets to be a starter even though he lacks the endurance to run 5 plays in a row due to his illness. Mack Brown is a career back up.

Coaches make mistakes. With a few exceptions, they are not some kind of super geniuses. They are human beings. They are capable of having favorites and being bullheaded. In fact I imagine football coaches are more likely then many other segments of society to live and die by an decision.
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    I've been most impressed with Showers. I think he needs more touches.
  6. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,151
    Yes injury is the only sure way to get this season back (if they wanted to), but it doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule, because I remember one of our placekickers (Chandler?) got an extra year when UF applied for it due to Chandler(?) only kicking one FG in a game that was already a blowout early in his first season. I'm not sure what criteria the NCAA uses to allow exceptions like this.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Rainey was an even worse blocker. Demps could not block either.
  8. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    Demps blocked fine
  9. fl_champ

fl_champ New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Umm, The NCAA uses a criteria??? Well, when you find that handbook, if you ever find it:ninja:, please be sure to share it with the rest of your blogging gator buddies.:wave:
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,089
    Sure, they make mistakes and they aren't geniuses, but what does that make us? What data do we have to suggest who should or shouldn't play that they don't? Are we on the practice field with them? Do we know how they respond to coaching or how well they study their playbook or if they can answer basic schematic questions in the meeting room or how hard they are working in the weight room or how they execute their assignments in practice? Seems to me for all their "bullheaded" character, coaches are in an infinitely better position than us to decide who should or shouldn't play.

That's why I love the whole "playing favorites" arguments against coaches. It is like something from a soccer mom. Of course they have favorites: those are those guys who work hard at practice, study their playbooks and film, execute their assignments during then week, show up for strength and conditioning, etc. In any other line of work, those would be prerequisites for getting opportunities, but for us they skew the coach's reasoning, ordinarily because we saw a kid's star ranking or prep film and think he is better than someone else out there.
  11. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    We'll see how he does against "good" competiton very shortly.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    Well Collins went over 100 again ...albeit Southern Miss but what do I know
  13. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +964
    That's kinda what everybody is wondering themselves :huh:
    • Like Like x 1