Alabama's Freshman QB

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by denvergator1987, Jan 9, 2018.

1. tussgator

tussgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +161
    I guess somebody had to win that game, I was torn between not wanting UGA to win a national championship and not wanting Alabama to win it's 12th or 13th or whatever ridiculous number it is now. It was a lose lose imo. lol Ballsy of Saban to put the kid in though, worked out good for them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +13,368
    Too bad he'll have to take a pay cut when he goes to the NFL.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bottledigger

bottledigger GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +322
    Right. Which brings me to what I was thinking during the game, which is why a guy like Copeland would want to come to UF on the possibility that we might be somewhat better and improving over the next couple of years, versus choosing Alabama, which is the team of the decade and defending national champion, with a gunslingin' QB who just burst onto the scene who would be the perfect guy to showcase your talents. Don't get me wrong, I desperately hope we get him; but I'm not sure why, in choosing between the two, we'd be seen as the better option.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. Kerrdog

Kerrdog GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +894
    What is Matt Jones going to do, ride the bench his entire college career?
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,758
    I don't know why anyone would be surprised by what happened. Lots of people around that program thought Tua was a better fit than Hurts in the preseason. Saban wouldn't have made the switch if he didn't know for sure that Tua was at least on Hurts level. Hurts won't start another game for Bama, and I'm thinking that it's only a matter of time before Hurts transfers. He'd make a great fit in Mullen's system.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    Hurts can't pass the ball good enough.... he can run but in some games where the opponent stops Bama's running game he can't carry the offense by passing... of course he has a great record he has tons of talent around him.... most games Bama has a talent advantage.... with Tua they have a more balanced offense
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bposs

bposs All American

Ratings Received:
    +2,498
    I think Tua Tagovailoa is Somoan for dog killa.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,315
    Interesting that Kiffin is saying that Tua would have transferred if he didn't play last night
  9. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    Wonder who paid for the family to move to AL. from HI.? If the younger kid is as good, that investment will pay huge dividends.

As one Bammer caller to Finebaum said of Ol Miss,”If they can beat us twice in two years, they must be cheating!”
  10. abc1234

abc1234 All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Tua “in case of emergency, break glass” Tagovailoa
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,439
    What you are missing, at least the way I read your post, is that HS coaches have the interests of their players in mind and IMO Bama is NOT the best place for every player out there. Yet, when Hurts is not effective, or their two main RBs are getting nowhere running the ball and the WRs are either covered or dropping passes (I don't recall), they find players who are BETTER on their bench??? I get the idea of a Hurts coming in for a passing QB and changing the game and I can get behind a VERY fast RB taking place over for a bruising back. But 1) a true freshman QB deciding to come to Bama and sit while many other teams need a dual threat QB. You think maybe Louisville may have been a better option?

A RB who is that talented decides to just sit around and....? until Saban calls him? Really? And I can sort of see that Ridley was going pro and a year to learn isn't the worse thing. But my main point is that this isn't your father's Bama or Oklahoma. You can NOT stock players willy nilly anymore because of the 85 scholarship limit. They have decided to be Defense U and that is fine. You get a RB or two to play Big Boy football and a McElroy to run things with an occasional Hurts for fun and ulcers for the other team's DC. And then you do your thing based on the limitations that has leveled the playing field from those bygone days. You do NOT get to do what is going on right now. You...do...NOT.

So, who exactly are the HS coaches working for? Their kids? To sit and wait when everyone needs reps to get better? REALLY??? You DO know that Bama has to be restricted on the number, length, and intensity of practice/time like everyone else in the NCAA, right? But...they have the luxury to act like a Bear team and no one else? Lamar Jackson is EXACTLY how teams get to be a cut above because not too many teams can put an NFL caliber defense or O-line on the field and so you need a transcendent player to overcome the team's limited talent. I won't dismiss Hurts being Jackson-like and picking Bama. I am much more worried as to how any of those bench players are just "happy to sit around until Saban gets an idea....at the end of a season." And lose your scholarship because he decided you no longer fit the bill. And that is okay with the HS coaches? Again......REALLY???
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +900
    That seems really stream of consciousness but your main point is that you don’t understand how they get so many talented players. They just recruit and manage their system better. When they use a greyshirt to open up spots they are probably strategic and don’t do it to pipeline schools.

I agreed with you that there could be some money behind the scenes but the main argument against this elaborate bagmen conspiracy of hs coaches and players getting paid through some Bama network is that nothing has come out. Kids and people in general talk, and they talk a lot. They post on social media. People all over track this stuff and nothing seems to have come out. You would think that would have gotten out there by now.

Maybe Bama is just ridiculously good at keeping a lid on it, but I tend to think it’s mostly just that they don’t go that route for everyone, if anyone at all.

Sometimes walking into a room with 5 rings on your finger and a sheet with all the NFL players you have produced and how much they make is enough to push kids over the edge in your favor. If you sell the dream of Millions of $$ In 3 years, who cares about thousands now? Let ole miss and other shady lower level teams take those kids.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,493
    While Hurts may not be the most skilled and talented quarterback he definitely displayed one big reason he is 26-2 as a starter. His totally supportive and positive attitude and support after he was pulled from the game showed great character and leadership.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,930
    TUA is a Class Act.

Kiffin loves Hurts. Maybe he transfers to FAU.
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,439
    And....Mac was an insider, as well as little willy, Kirby and Pruit. So, they don't have the "magic touch" that the Head Munchkin has? They just can't have that twinkle in their eye and grand gestures towards the kids and their parents that Saban is so known for (if you didn't get it, that was sarcasm)?

Even in THE scummy game - men's college basketball - there are quite a few players out there. I saw where Bill Walton gushed all over a true freshman 7' 1" player at Arizona. They aren't Kentucky but they play the exact same game. So, who is the "Duke, Kansas, Arizona" counterpoint to Bama? It just doesn't add up.
  16. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,520
    Take the world by storm and you, too, can be the next 1st round bust for the Cleveland Browns.
  17. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,520
    Hurts knew that the high road was his only prayer at ever taking another snap at Bama. Everyone is expendable. Saban has proven once again that he can pull whatever he needs out of his ass at any given moment and still come out on top. The only way to beat him is with gimmicks that won't work twice (see Ole Miss for what happens if they do).
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,060
    Because there are probably 4-5 equally talented WR's in front of him on the depth chart, including the one who caught the winning TD.
  19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,050
    Can't imagine how he feels.
  20. Neptune

Neptune GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +650
    How does the Bama coaching staff get their QBs to be so serene all the time? Look at Hurts and Tua's expressions during the games this year - totally zoned out - like they're sedated or something. They are both completely unflappable. No emotion, just a blank stare on their faces until the post game interview.
    It's weird to me. But damned effective, obviously.