Alabama's Freshman QB

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by denvergator1987, Jan 9, 2018.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,385
    My biggest concern, so to speak, is that Bama just went Plan B with their QB in THE most important game of the year and even Plan C (D?) with the RBs and WRs. THAT is kind of scary to have that kind of depth. IF they are playing by the same rules as everyone else, they should not have all of those options available, when you think about the defensive juggernaut they are.

My take? there are some HS football coaches who are getting nice salaries being "helpers" for Bama. It is what it is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,707
    Hurts stinks and cost them the game last year????? What planet are you from? I'd wait till you went back to look at the end of last year's game so you can come back and say, "Real, my bad, Hurts didn't cost them the game. He actually lead them to the game winner only to for the defense to cost them the game at the end. My bad."

You guys sit here and bash a QB who by our standards is Tom Brady. He's fricking 25-2 as a starter, was freshman all-american, SEC freshman of the year, was a Heisman candidate last year and this year, had more yards as a QB than all of our QBs put together AND had more rushing yards than any of our running backs. So if he sucks, then our entire offensive side of the football sucks including all of our backs. Hurts has one flaw and that is locking on one receiver, but he rarely makes mistakes. Tua, although a freshman, made more mistakes last night than Hurts has made all year. It's just that Tua is a better thrower but Hurts is a better dual threat. The issue with Tua is he tends to dangle the ball around too much and he takes too many hits. Hurts reminds me of Emmitt, no one ever gets a huge hit on him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RealGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +4,707
    Bama fans who are like us, said that Saban had no choice because Kirby knows too much about his players and his scheme. Tua is a freshman, so Kirby knows nothing about him, so it made sense to change things up because the situation was unique. That's why you saw the all freshmen team last night, Kirby didn't expect Saban to do that and it was brilliant.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. RealGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +4,707
    Keep in mind Bama is set at QB for the next 6 or 7 years. Hurts ain't going anywhere and might even start next season. You don't bench a guy who did nothing wrong. You don't bench a 25-2 starter who is a Heisman candidate. But you do build Tua and get him ready in case Hurts gets hurt or when Hurts goes pro. This conference demands 2 quality QBs and sadly Bama and Georgia are the only teams in the SEC that can say that right now. They are my early SECCG picks next year. Now we can do that too if Franks improves drastically and say our freshman QB steps up.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +476
    Wow, talk about culture shock!:)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +589

As long as Saban is recruiting for them, they will be set at every position. Don't forget they also have another 4 star in Mac Jones that enrolled with Tua.
  7. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,663
    Praying for a scandal.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. Petey

Petey Senior

Ratings Received:
    +311
    Jalen Hurts is a good runner but unless he learns to read a defense and improves his passing, he's always going to hold them back against better defenses/competition. It was clear this season, even in mop-up duty, that Tua was the superior player. If I'm Alabama, I go all in on Tua for next season and the one after.

I get that Hurts has a wonderful record at Alabama, but that's largely because of the support around him.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,916
    I strongly disagree with this. Bama played great but they still benefited from some lucky breaks.
    So it's inarguable that UGA is about as good as Bama.

Yet UGA was mediocre only a full season ago- even a middling Mac team dominated them in Jax in 2016.

So if UGA can do it, so can we. Obviously recruiting helps, but Clemson beat Bama last year and their average recruiting ranking is about #10.

What we needed was a coach who knew what he was doing. IMO we have that now.
    We are not that far away.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,206
    You are right on.

More amazing, what a set of stones Saban has to put the kid in and stick with him after the interception. Not many coaches are that bold.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,449
    The kid also has the "It Factor." Well spoken, great personality, seems fairly humble (small sample size). What an amazing performance.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. atlmover

atlmover GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,614
    And found that southern hospitality is amazing.....They provide free housing, new mercedes, and a job earning twice the salary for all folks who move FROM Hawaii to AL (because that happens all the time).
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,028
    Hurts nearly cost Bama a Natty, again. Last year he was 13/31 for a 131yds. This year he was 3/8 for 21yds. Yep, he's got nice wheels, but struggles mightily throwing the ball at times. Nick is a smart guy, the best in the business. Just never understand why he went with Hurts right out of the gate as a TF. Ran off several 5* guys doing so. Bama should have a solid 1st round QB coming out every 2-3yrs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,709
    There aren't a lot of teams throwing Freshmen QB's out there who are dominating.

You also easily dismiss how good their OL is and you are forgetting that Georgia has a running back duo that has combined for the most yards in NCAA history. BAMA has some pretty good skill players too.
  15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,076
    Tua obviously made a few mistakes. The int, the 17-yard sack. But otherwise incredible poise and an unbelievable arm. Quick release and the ball's on the money 50 yards downfield.
  16. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +909
    I'm sure there's some of that - but by joining Saban you are guaranteed a championship. I don't think he's recruited a class that has missed out on one or more championships, unless you were in his first class and left early. Plus NFL teams savor over the Bama guys on offense and defense - mostly defense but they have put good RBs in the NFL, on top of some solid WRs, OL, and even the occasional QB.
  17. mcogator

mcogator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +897
    You'd have to make it new Bentleys with trunks full of cash to make me move from Hawaii to Alabama.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,746
    They got Tua in that medical tent at halftime and did this to him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. partdopy

partdopy GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +462

Or players simply want to play for the best team, get the most media time, and the best chance of being drafted high.

If you're recruited by Alabama, I'm not sure how any other school can really compete with that. Or maybe it's a ncaa wide conspiracy. Lol
  20. ncgator91

ncgator91 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +231
    LOL. Hurts may not go anywhere, but he sure won't be the starting QB ever again. If Hurts has any desires to play at the next level, he had better learn how to be a slot receiver. It will never be as a QB.

You don't bench a 25-2 starter? Really? Saban just did, and he won the national championship. The new TT is your Heisman candidate for 2018.
    • Agree Agree x 2