Alabama loses recruiting battle to Princeton as four-star QB sticks with Tigers

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by duchen, Feb 7, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    One of the most intriguing decisions of the 2018 recruiting cycle came to a conclusion on Friday when four-star quarterback Brevin White out of Paraclete High School in Lancaster, California, called up Nick Saban. White has been committed to Princeton since July 2017, picking the Ivy League program over a host of other Pac-12 and Power Five offers. But an offer from the defending national champions on Jan. 25 called for a recalculation. With an Alabama offer in hand, White took an official visit to Tuscaloosa the following weekend and quickly emerged as the Tide's top priority at the quarterback position late in the process.

White plans to major in economics at Princeton and hopes to pursue a career in finance if the NFL doesn't work out. As he's mulled over this decision over the last week, Princeton has put him in touch with some high net worth individuals that have hammered home the value of an Ivy League network in the business world, but the connections don't stop there. White is scheduled to talk to Dallas Cowboys coach and Princeton graduate Jason Garrett later Friday afternoon.

"The overall consensus is Princeton is once in lifetime experience," he said. "Obviously you're going to get a great education, but I figure part of it, too, is the friends that you make are going to last a lifetime. Almost everyone you meet is going to be best friends the rest of your life. You're going to be offered a big variety of things to do with a Princeton alumni network as well."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...princeton-as-four-star-qb-sticks-with-tigers/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +34,540
    Good for him... choosing a first rate education over the power house football programs.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,247
    This story is a little blown out of proportion. Alabama whiffed on every QB they offered (including our QB!!). This kid was their last offer, literally "Plan Z". He was already committed to the Ivy League school and was obviously in it for the education and has no visions of grandeur that he's a big-time prospect w/ NFL aspirations. He realized he was Bama's back-up, back-up, back-up plan....so he stuck w/ his original commitment. Good for him....because Alabama would have sent him packing in a couple of years when he didn't crack the top 2 rotation.
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,591
    Yeah, I mentioned this last week. Here's the thread.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/bama-loses-recruits-too.388894/
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,402
    We lost a three to four star FB/LB prospect a few years ago. The kid was a legacy no less but was also a highly rated lacrosse prospect.
  7. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,509
    Although this is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT in our Biased Fascist/Capitalist Economic Culture: "Princeton has put him in touch with some high net worth individuals that have hammered home the value of an Ivy League network in the business world, but the connections don't stop there." The NFL possibility would be a comparatively strong opponent.

Interesting, but not surprising. If you can attend Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Chicago, John's Hopkins, MIT or Cal Tech, you choose those for the incredible future benefits Wealth passes along to you. Stanford and Duke are very much in that league also.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,247
    Yep. I worked a detail at the US Treasury Department a few years ago. Half that building was Ivy League. Most of them thought very highly of themselves and they were "only" working there because they wanted to "serve their country" (i.e. they gave up high paying private sector jobs to give their skills/knowledge to Treasury, thus their "service to the country"). These arrogant MF'er's thought very highly of themselves!

True story: I was in my office early one morning and the Deputy Assistant Secretary came in and asked me if I played basketball. I said, "Yeah, but I'm not very good". He said, "Good! We need you to come over to the White House for a pick up game w/ Obama and his staff."
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,724
    Good story! Is Obama as bad at roundball as he is reported to be at Golf?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,247
    He's not bad for a 50+ year old, but not good by any stretch! I only played about 1/3rd of the time (I really, really stink!). I was hoping to come down w/ a rebound and "accidentally" land an elbow on somebody, but the situation didn't present itself. I think my stat line was 1-2 shooting (both 3's), 1 rebound, and 18 turnovers!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,591
    No worries dude. It's great to have posters bring info to the board. Thank you.