After Re-watching the film.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Swamp_Thang, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Swamp_Thang

Swamp_Thang Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    As we know a lot of people had been displeased with the offensive production and scared playcalling but after a review of things IMO we didn't look half bad. If that penalty hadn't been called and if Patton had caught that 20 yard pass from Driskel we could've been looking at two more scores. We pounded the rock like we wanted too and opened it up just enough to win. After watching the game live I was bummed that our offense didn't put up huge numbers but then having seen it again it was not as bad as I had thought. Anyone else feel this way?

GO GATORS!
  2. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Yes. I couldn't be there or watch the game so I recorded it and watched on Sunday (after reading a lot of this whining). My reaction was, "WTH was the bitching about?" That was a team that dictated the whole game and mixed up pass plays and running plays much better than last year. Brown's 100 yard first half was stout. Long drives and some nice down field pass plays. Defense was pretty awesome (VH int was a monster play, WOW!)

If it's SOS nostalgia, get over it. If you watch SCAR play now-a-days, he's right there with Boom and Lil Nicky.

Reality check.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    We racked up 415 yards on Saturday.

Anybody know how many times we did that last year?

Once.

ONE TIME.

Not versus Bowling Green. Not versus Vandy. Not versus Kentucky. Not versus Louisiana-Lafayette or Jacksonville State.

Things to keep in mind.
  4. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    We'll find out over the next two weeks how good this offense really is.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Fun addendum to this post:

Our first three opponents this year were in the bottom 15 of all defenses in 2012.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    That is pretty interesting. Statistics don't really mean much at this stage, as Toledo could plausibly be the worst defense in the nation for all we know, but it does say something that we were so efficient throwing the ball and ran it so well despite being without Jones and Halapio--arguably two of our top four offensive players along with Driskel and Harrison.

Watching the game yesterday, there were times when I caught myself getting a little dour on the offense, but then I reminded myself that we only had three returning starters in the lineup yesterday (Driskel, Dunbar, Harrison), that we are expecting some freshmen, transfers, or guys at new positions to contribute (Moore, Garcia, Robinson, Fulwood, Taylor, Herndon, Showers at running back, Burton at receiver), and that Muschamp said pretty directly earlier in the week that our goal was to control the clock. Given that, we were a drop, a bad penalty, and a time consuming, clock eating drive to end the game away from a 34-6, 38-6, 41-6, maybe 45-6 win.
  7. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Pease called a very conservative game and we could have easily scored 30 or 40 points without the redzone mistakes you mentioned.....not to mention the TD we left on the field at the...2 yard line?...to end the game.
  8. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,352
    I had no complaints on the day of and none now. Our offense moved the ball smoothly and effectively with both the run and the pass--and, as most suspected, Toledo had trouble stopping out rushing attack. When we can get 4-5 yards pounding the rock, controlling the clock, and our defense neutralizing the other team, that's all we need.

Many teams had troubles on the offensive side of the ball on the opening day--and I can say this much: we looked more ahead of the curve than most.

About the only complaint was that Mack Brown looked gassed in the third quarter and early parts of the fourth quarter--a better rotation might have been useful, and especially given how well the backups moved the ball. When Jones returns though, I don't think this will be as much of a problem.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,704
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    I noticed that too. He would have had an even better game and the backups more meaningful playing time if they had started rotating him in and out. Does anyone know who the last UF running back was to carry the ball 25 times? My guess is that it was either one of our current RB's dad or the new Mr. Two Bits.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Um, it was Gillislee last year (he also hit 24 twice).
  12. GATORnGA31909

GATORnGA31909 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    We should of had 2 more INT's and 2 more TD's...now the first game jitters are gone and can clean all that stuff up we should be pretty good..There needs to be extra emphasis this week at practice for the D-line coming off the snaps with simulated gestures like that center was doing to pound it into these guys to stay onsides
  13. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,704
    I am little more intrigued by Herndon than I thought I would be. I wish we could have seen him get a few more carries
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,687
    Agree. Especially when it was clear that Mack was gassed. We could have used the fresh legs and Herndon looked good.
  15. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Very interesting stat.
  16. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,815

Actually we might now, according to what some want.

We will face two weak defenses, so if we come out and pound the rock and get first downs, score some points and keep their offenses on the bench, it will be more of the same, just like last season.
  17. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Also, I don't think it was Mack Brown's missed assignment on the sack/fumble. Rtackle and guard double teamed then DE and didn't see the DB coming.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Hard to tell. Muschamp mentioned that it was a zone protection, which means that either A) it as the right tackle, who thought he had help in the back, or B) Brown, who thought it was a man protection, not zone. Not sure which it was.
  19. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    I really like that quick pitch to Showers when they were crowding the line. He picked up about 24 yards there.
  20. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Watched the offensive one just now and I was amazed at the lack of negative yard plays we had. I didn't count all the way from the beginning but I only saw 1 negative yardage play.

Another thing I noticed, Herndon and Taylor have really nice vision, at least in their limited carries. On that last Herndon run, he ran right through a tunnel of Toledo members, I think it was the one where he used that awesome sidestep.