After Re-watching the film. Miami Edition

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Swamp_Thang, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Swamp_Thang

Swamp_Thang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    First off let me go ahead and say these are just my personal opinions of what I saw yesterday and today after re-watching the game. Forgive me for not jumping on the hate Muschamp bandwagon just yet.

Offense: I thought we moved the ball well offensively, Driskel did take way too much time to throw the football but we had some very nice offensive plays. It comes down to execution we had 5 turnovers. We were in the redzone 6 times. I don't see where all of this "Pease should be fired" nonsense is coming from we lived on their side of the field. Was there some questionable playcalling? Yes there was but it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of these Gainesville Doomsday commentators seem to be believing. Turn those turnovers into points and we blow Miami out easily. Driskel's interceptions were inexcusable and no doubt will he be watching and re-watching and re-watching the film. We need to work on ball security and Driskel needs to improve his reads but other than that our performance wasn't that bad. As far as the offensive line is concerned Humphries didn't play in the second half and we are minus Greene and Halipio, so i'll wait to pass judgement on that after Tennessee however the "Man down man up" saying was not upheld yesterday.

Defense: We started off slow against a high powered offense which is something you absolutely cannot do. They got out to a large lead and had us climbing our way out of whole the rest of the game. However after the first quarter you really saw our defense tighten up. We limited them to very little offense after that first quarter and I'm proud of they way they played. Easley and Powell practically lived in the backfield the whole game. Hargreaves and the secondary continues to put up great performances (minus that huge touchdown pass in the beginning) Linebackers need some work they constantly took wrong angles on rushing plays however their pass coverage seemed pretty spot on.

Verdict: Don't go writing off this team to make a run for Atlanta. This Gator team is extremely talented and if our offense can turn those long sustained drives into points instead of turnovers we will win A LOT of games. Pease needs to make better calls IMO while it's not all his fault some things he did had me scratching my head. I still think Muschamp is micromanaging his offense which needs to stop HERE AND NOW. This is just my two cents, I still believe Muschamp is the guy and he will lead us to a championship eventually. You can't go jumping ship after a loss (no matter how dissapointing they may be) remember Miami ran the table after we beat them in the 80's. Im not saying we will run the table I'm simply saying its WAY TOO EARLY to be jackhammering the panic button. Go Gators

-Swamp_Thang
  2. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    They had a large lead? 7 - 0? 14 - 6?
  3. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    yeah.... it's not a large lead when we have it but its so large when they have it
  4. cbseptic

cbseptic Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,891
    Haha. I did say when Hargreaves stepped out Damn now our offense must score.
  5. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    when you have an offense like ours a 7-point deficit is like a 21-point deficit
  6. IowaStateGator

IowaStateGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    When we have an offense that turns the ball over that many times in the redzone with a QB that makes some bad decisions at bad times, it's pretty hard to comeback. However, outside of the that, our offense looked competent. Yea, it sucks, but some people WAY overreacted (talking about a losing season...?). The team can still be a challenger for the division.
  7. WDGator

WDGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    True which makes me think we should mix in a hurry up drive here or there. The one drive that we ran in hurry up was nice to see.

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  8. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,771
    The defense was gassed and on its heels when the offense held the ball for ~ 6 minutes at the end of the first and beginning of the second quarter. Without that ability the defense would not have been able to rally and clamp down. There was a lot of bad but there was some good out there too.
  9. scrappygator

scrappygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Why hasn't anybody blamed the obvious culprit--Hargreaves! All he has to do is stay inbounds we win. The secondary coach needs to be fired!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Sadly I do think that really would have made the difference is he houses that one. Not only does our defense have to pitch a shut out they have to do the scoring too
  11. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    anyone have the video of the hargreaves pick?
  12. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    Good one! :D
  13. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +307
    Truth be told I'd rather start out with a whimper (1st 2 games) and end with a bang (end of the season). Have a feeling we'll be ok.
  14. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    We need better red zone offense. Other than the turn over the game was fine.
  15. ces1948

ces1948 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    Other than that how did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?

16. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    there were a ton of positives to take out of this game. and one huge negative in the turnovers. i thought beside driskel's awful turnovers, it was his best game as a gator throwing the ball. so many gator fans want to see the offense opened up, and you got it. i want to see it back to a run heavy with a few runs. i don't trust #6, and he hasn't given us a reason to think that we will be able to in the future. we will never have the huge 50 point games under muschamp and peace with driskel at qb. peace is a good OC when given a capable qb, but driskel is not that qb and my hopes are that with will grier we will be able to mix up the offense alot more. but for now, be careful what we wish for, whenever we lose its the games when our pass attempts are higher than usual, its not part of this coaching staffs recipe for success. i don't care how the wins come, just get em! go gators
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +652
    I know many will disagree but I don't blame the coaches. The coaches had a solid game plan on both sides of the ball to win the game and it worked. I said before the game I expected the offense to hold the ball 35-40 minutes and they did. We had the ball over 38 minutes.

We ran the ball pretty well and we threw the ball pretty well. Driskel completed .667 of his passes.

And on defense, after those first 2 drives. I believe we gave up 1 first down over the next 6 drives. Our defense totally shut down Miami.

As others have stated, it all came down to the crucial turnovers inside the red zone and not converting the 4th down attempt early in the 2nd quarter.

Take away just 2 of those mistakes and we win but 7+ and everyone is praising the staff and the team for a dominating win.
  18. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    I don't think we ran the ball that well.

Looking at the stats after the game, UF rushed for 122 yards on 44 attempts. That comes out to 2.8 YPC, which is really bad. Longest run of the game was 12 yards. Granted, I think there's a sack or two in there bringing down the average, but even if you factor those out only averaging 3.0-3.2 yards per carry is really bad, especially for a rushing team.