After helping to create this forum long ago...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by gatormoe1, Oct 12, 2012.

1. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I promptly neglected it and neglected working out. So here I am again and I want to figure out how I can get back to where I was when I got out of the Navy.

Here are my problems:
    Motivation - I usually get going for a week or so, then I get sore and stop for a day to recover, but usually end up stopping all together.
    Food - I love good food, and most good food is fattening. Can anyone point me in the direction of good healthy recipes for a meat and potatoes guy like myself? I'm also looking for something that considers a tight budget.
    Soda - I'm hopelessly addicted to soda, especially Mountain Dew. So much so that I get headaches if I don't drink one in a day or two.

There are other things I wonder about but those are the main concerns. I know how to work out, its the motivation that is killing me. Anyone have any tips, links or any other advice to help me get back on the right path. Every day I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I'm ready to stop the cycle. Thoughts?
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Some quick thoughts for now.

Motivation:
    1. Start a thread similar to "Day One" it helped me get back on track after losing my way.
    2. If not a thread, start a contest at work or with friends to see who can get in the best shape by X date.
    3. Declare your goal on an open forum where people will hold you accountable.
    4. Join Fitocracy
    5. Sign up for something that you have to get in shape for (a 5K, tough mudder, a beach vacation, a powerlifting meet, etc.)

Do any or all of these things. One of them should work. I know a lot of people recommend getting a training partner and that can work too, or getting a trainer even though you say you know what you are doing it can be good to leave all the details to someone else and have scheduled appts to keep you on track.

Food:
    This is a more complicated one as I have no idea what you like so if I just say here is a "healthy" recipe of tilapia and broccoli to only find out you hate fish and vegetables.
    The best thing to do imo is find out how many calories you need to be eating to reach your goals, get a kitchen scale and weigh out your foods until you feel comfortable knowing just how big the portions are that you should be having.
    If you have want something more than this I can add to it.

Soda:
    You are probably just going through withdrawal as crazy as that sounds. It could be caffeine or sugar or both. You should cut it out as cutting out soda alone will be a huge boost to your nutrition. But you cant go cold turkey, you gotta ween yourself off it and use some form of replacement until you stop getting the headaches.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, provide any details you want to and I know others will chime in with helpful info soon.
  3. gatormoe1

Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, I'm still reading it as of now but as far as food I eat just about anything. Red meat, pork fish... all veggies are fine besides onions (lol)...
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 34 / -10
    Motivation: capitalize on the little that you have. That's enough to get you started. Given your history, determine not to overreach this time. Start ridiculously light. The first 2 or 3 workouts should have you thinking, "This is way to easy." But just concentrate on form, getting back in the groove, and add resistance gradually. The go(really) slow approach is one thing that makes the 5-3-1 template, that leaf is doing, so appealing.

Food: you could use one of two approaches (1) if you are confident that you can keep your calories where they are right now, not another fork-full per day, the mere inclusion of exercise may have you lopping off some fat. But this is a bit of a gamble. (2) Eat the foods you love. Make no changes in this regard. BUT learn to slow down and savor smaller amounts of food.

Soda: if sugared soda, consider it candy. It's hard to imagine that one or two a day would be catastrophic. Caveat: when I say eat the foods you enjoy, just realize you can't eat them all all the time. As it comes down to calories, prioritize. Make a list of the 5 to 10 foods (or drinks) which, if you abstained from them, we'd have to put you on psych meds. Very good. Then proceed to prioritize those. I have an insulin-dependent diabetic client who will not be parted from her Dr. Pepper. So, THAT is her priority indulgence. And she is learning to linger over her Dr. Pepper's like I linger over my merlot. Just took me thirty minutes to polish off my glass.
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,471 / 25 / -8
    I'm no expert, but heres my $0.02:

Motivation: for me it starts with lifting. That soreness reminds me; makes me feel like I'm working towards something. Just go lift something heavy!

Food: My Fitness Pal. It's an app you can use on phone tablet or PC. Learn Howard calories are in the foods you eat and eat the proper (deficit) amount.

Soda: just gotta kick it. At least do some "zero" type sodas.

Good luck!!!
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Also agree with Dreams suggestion of starting light. So many people jump in too hard and get injured or too sore then give up. You really need to ramp up slowly.
  7. gatormoe1

Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thats one of my problems, because of my athletic/military back ground, I always want to go for the extreme when I work out because in my mind, I can handle it.

I want to get back to being able to run a few miles without feeling like I'm dying.. I miss just being able to go out and run a mile, stop do some sit-ups, push-ups, 8 counts... etc etc and then running another mile. So I think when I do get into it, I go full steam ahead.

What are some workouts to start with? The only thing I know is one speed.. so I need to learn some things that I can do to get me going first, to work back up to being able to do what I want.
  8. rschick

rschick Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206 / 8 / -4
    Learn to shop the labels. Lower your salt, fat grams, calories. Lots of new healthy foods out there. Publix has "Greenwise Organic" Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Has worked for us, I've lost 15 pounds since July 4th.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    For running you can try Couch to 5K. I believe there is a phone app for it and its progressive program you can follow.

For lifting you can look into a Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5X5 program. They are 3 days a week and they have you starting with just the bar but progressing every workout.

For bodyweight you might want to try something like the PLP challenge. Pushup, Lunge, Pullup. You start 1 of each and work your way up to 60 over 2 months.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 34 / -10
    Good point on the soreness. Whereas it stops some ... it gets you going!
  11. mgloving

mgloving Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A couple of questions: Why is this important to you? What are your goals?
    These may seem silly or obvious but being able to answer them clearly is critical to creating lasting motivation.
  12. gatormoe1

Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    First, it's important because I see myself every day and I don't like it. I used to be fit and able to do sports, run a few miles and now thats not who I am. I'm not obese and I could still go out and run with my daughter, but I want to be able to do that for years to come.

If things don't change now for me, it will keep getting worse and probably to the point of (nearly) no return. So while I'm able to make a transition to the lifestyle I want, I want to get it done. Still, with that said I find it hard to find the motivation.

Another reason is I feel.... different inside, like I'm not taking care of myself.. I'm not sure how to put it into words other than I don't feel healthy inside, even going passed just being heavier than I ever have been.

I also want to do it for my wife, and my future son (due in February).

As for my goals, they are simple in theory.

Get back to where I was while I was in the Navy
    Get in better shape for my daughter and future son
    and it may be corny but... feel comfortable at the beach again
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 34 / -10
    I'm right with you in a way. After a solid year of almost exclusively bodyweight exercise, and three months of gymnastics static poses, my soft tissues are so inflamed that it hurt my elbows and forearms to pick up my twelve-pound dog yesterday.

More and more I'm motivated to pursuing a more sustainable strategy.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 0 / -0
    Moe, these are nice reasons to get on a program but they are not good goals. You need to make goals that you can track. I know its cheesy but using SMART goals is much more useful. You know, Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. Doing this might also provide some structure and more of that motivation you are lacking. You can set long term and short term goals and they can be as simple as work out 3 times in the next week. Run X distance within one month. The point is to pick things that you can accomplish that are challenging and can be tracked.
  15. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,604 / 11 / -3
    I always tell people it's a very simple process to get in GREAT shape. Stick with a workout routine for 8 short weeks. Give it just two months of consistent workouts and you will see and feel true results. Get to that point and it becomes an addiction, not a hobby or routine:)
  16. gatormoe1

Ratings Received:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Well those "goals" boil down to a certain weight.. thats just the goals behind THE goal. Thats what I want to accomplish here. Basically, I want to be back to my weight when I was in the Navy and that was somewhere around 170-180lbs.
  17. mgloving

mgloving Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Leaf, you beat me to it. :)
    Moe, pay attention to what you're thinking about/feeling when you bail on going to the gym after the first week. Try to concentrate on the reasons you stated above (how it would make you feel being able to play with your daughter, being healthy for your wife and son, etc...) when you're not in the mood to exercise. Emotions drive behavior and it sounds like you're pretty emotionally engaged with wanting to improve your health. So try to use those positive feelings to drown out the negative "I feel like crap, I'm not going today". It takes some practice but the more you're able to focus on it and feel it, the more successful you'll be counteracting the negative.
    Also, Leaf has it absolutely right, make specific, behaviorally oriented goals. The more clearly you can define them, the more effective they'll be.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 34 / -10
    I think we place to much pressure on motivation. All you need is: (A) enough motivation to get started and (B) an intelligent plan of attack that will ensure success and therefore foster the enthusiasm necessary to carry you to your goals.

In short: motivation is what you bring to the table. Enthusiasm is what COMES OUT OF your adherence to an intelligent strategy that is not unduly difficult to adhere to.