Adviser: Ben Carson Is ‘Very, Very Serious’ About Running For President

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Aug 16, 2014.

1. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,242
    Chem,
    By the time he does that which you suggest, he has become just part of the machine. A real leader knows how to work with people already and doesnt need a failing system or prior experience with such to teach him how to get things done.
    Real effective leaders also tend to surround themselves with people smarter than they are.
    WRT foreign policy, hire someone for that. We have plenty of domestic policy issues to focus on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,190
    No country that prints its own $ can ever be bankrupt.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    It can, however, have a worthless currency as its reward for having fiscal and economic policy that would bankrupt any non-currency printing entity.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,463
    Germans could print their own money prior to the rise of Hitler. Trouble was it had little value.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,074
    You really don't believe this chit do you? Ever heard of hyper-inflation? Look it up. Zimbabwe tried this.
  6. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,242
    I have a new signature line though. It would be funny if it werent so sad.
  7. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    Biden was supposed to be Obama's foreign policy expert. That hasn't worked out so well, probably because Obama is too arrogant to listen to anyone else. Foreign policy is at least one third of the job, if not more. Especially with a global economy and weapons of mass destruction widely available (even a country like Pakistan has nukes). All military action starts with the president, for example. You don't want to farm out a third of the job, only to find out later that you've been dealing with either an unelected pacifist or a war-monger or a profiteer, or someone who has an agenda towards or against a particular country (like Israel). You want someone who has been cross-examined under duress, like the president is during debates. Foreign policy is too important.

The problem with a lack of political experience is that, like head coach at UF, you don't want someone learning on the job. A president just has to burn a few bridges (even accidentally), and he is suddenly much less effective. People outside of politics, like business leaders, are used to being in charge, and other people doing what they say. A president is not in charge unless he has a friendly Congress with the same goals as him. Even then, there will be times that he has to ask his friendly Congressmen to make sacrifices (like eliminating a military base in his district). An amateur would become quickly frustrated with his lack of power in this situation.

We need a leader that has (1) political experience (including a willingness to compromise) AND has (2) an intelligent understanding of economic philosophy, AND who can (3) come across as humble enough that the common person can relate to them (and elect them). Romney fit the first two (and would have been a much better president than Obama ever could be), but struck out on the third. GWB had the first (except for the ability to compromise) and the third, but struck out on the second. Obama could at least fake the first and the third (with a good teleprompter speech and assistance from the liberal media), but absolutely flunked on the second (he did have a wild card that helped him get elected). As Romney learned, the first and second qualifications are what makes a good (or great) president, but without the third, you don't get a chance to be president. Americans have become somewhat shallow in that regard.
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,157
    I heard Carson speak probably 15 years ago and was impressed with him back then. I think he would make a good choice for VP.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    I'm trying to give him a fair chance, so I looked up a few of his positions. He has a very small platform so far, though, and what policies he has articulated are vague and/or contradictory. For instance, he wouldn't have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, but he isn't an isolationist and thinks we should be "active," in world affairs. No details on what "active," entails, but I don't hold that against him, most candidates aren't big on details. On gay marriage: "Carson said he doesn’t believe “anyone from any group has the right to redefine a major pillar of society.” But, he added, “any two consenting adults have the right to formalize a relationship between them.” I honestly don't know what he's saying here. Marriage, no, civil unions, yes?
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,127
    Right now I am still looking at either Ran Paul or Susanna Martinez- I do like a lot of what Carson says

but it is such a long way off and unless I reregister as a Pub I have no say anyway
  11. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,242
    reasonable set of qualifications and explanations. Finding the one that has them and is electable by our screwed up two party system is seemingly impossible.
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +947

sounds like Gary Johnson to me. :)

2 time gov. that left his state in the black when he was done. Built his own construction business to the point it has 1000 employees.

And whats not to like about Johnson, his the working man's man.
  13. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    I couldn't care less what a potential president's position is on gay marriage. I would much rather have a president that understands the more important issues of the day. I don't think gay marriage cracks the top-50.
  14. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,127
    he is not a candidate yet- when he is he will have to broaden his perspective
  15. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    I don't care much, either, it's just one of the few issues he's commented on. I'm sure there's more, this bears more research.
  16. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,463

The guy I voted for.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,792
    I have a feeling he'd be like the GOP candidates in 2012 other than Romney. He'd blast Democrats and jump up in the polls. Then with the attention on him, when people start looking at everything he's said, he wouldn't fare so well.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ben-carson-nazi-reference

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/carson-america-nazi-germany
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,365
    Poor Dr. Carson would be absolutely raped by the Civil Rights Industry if he ran. He would be called an Uncle Tom, Oreo, Traitor to his Race, and every other name in the book, while the likes of Harry Belafonte would call him a plantation slave sucking up to Massa. It would be flat UGLY.

The Left stops at NOTHING to personally smear anyone that gets in his way. This is straight out of The Communist Manifesto, through Lenin's What Needs To Be Done, to Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

And the media would be their willing dupes, modern day Walter Durantys, Drew Pearsons and John Reeds...
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,792
    I always get a kick out of conservatives here who spend all day blasting Democrats in every way possible. But yet they regularly come up with this - complaining about Democrats have the nerve to blast Republicans. I means, gosh darnit, it's just so unfair that Republican politicians have to put up with criticism from the other side!
  20. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    It's not about criticism in and of itself. It's the hateful and venomous criticism against those members of aggrieved groups who dare leave the victim industries behind receive.