1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Advice on how to stop eating like a degenerate...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by oI2ange, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    I just don't think I could get that kind of math in my stomach.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    I know I couldn't. That is about double the worst I can imagine doing, more likely a bad meal for me would hit 1500 or less and I would be absolutely stuffed.
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,889
    I have to ask...
    What the heck was the 4k dinner?
  4. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    35 wings from buffalo wild wings. I figure most of those are anywhere from 80-100 calories per.

Entire basket of potato wedges for myself.

Finished it off with a medium mint oreo shake from DQ right after.

Disgusting...

I moved my friend into his new house for 2 hours...obviously that's a ton of work. Then I rode 6 miles or so on my bike at a decent pace. I didn't really eat much during that time span and was really hungry...the above was the result.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Quick google and I get over 4,600 calories.

You were within 1,000!
  6. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Lol...good lord....I'm disgusting.
  7. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    I'll take the shrink approach. So, what's really bothering you? Show a little more self love. This can be obtained with a bit of self control. Just call me Freud. (or asshole) :) During the week you can be more regimented and allow yourself to splurge (not back to the old ways ( relative splurge))on the weekends. But as far as portions go, you really need to cut way back. Eat more meals during the day, but smaller ones. Vegetables and salads will help you lose weight. Beer, bread, refined foods, chips=bad. Pizza is not good either. But a few pieces is better/whole pizza? sheesh! Who's your buddy?
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,889
    They are a little over 70 per...

http://mobile.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/buffalo-wild-wings/chicken-wings

But this speaks to my earlier point about eating well helping more than weight. Look at the saturated fat in a wing, at 1g per wing you ate 35 grams of sat fat... daily RDA is 20, and that's before the 7g of sat fat in the potato wedges (560 calories).

http://mobile.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/buffalo-wild-wings/potato-wedges-(basket)

And if you had a shake similar to this, it's 13 more grams of sat fat (820 calories).

http://fast-food-nutrition.findtheb...-Dairy-Queen-Oreo-CheeseQuake-Blizzard-Medium

So all told, you has almost 3 days of sat fat in one meal and you were right on, it's 4040 calories. And that's not even taking into account transfats, Sodium, sugars etc.
    I didn't post any of that to be critical... We all eat bad sometimes, it's just easier to figure when it is all broken out. And it took someone doing something similar for me on a regular basis before I started changing.
    Also as i am sure you are aware, it takes a whole lot of budgeting to compensate for a meal like that, so makes the rest of the road harder too.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    I dont know about disgusting but you sure can eat a lot. I love chicken wings, I mean love wings, and I see no way I could put down more than 20 on their own. Usually if I go out for wings I will get a dozen, fries and some beer.

I also happen to not find this all that terrible. I mean you had an active day and did not eat a lot according to you.

Dont be too hard on yourself about this. No, you should not make this a habit and yes if it is a habit you need to work on stopping it. So, its probably best to not get yourself in situations where you can end up eating like this. Hitting BWs after moving a friend and a bike ride probably not a great idea. Next time get a snack before you hit the restaurant and I bet you will be full a lot sooner.
  10. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Sounds delicious.

Seriously.
  11. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Good advice all, thanks a lot.

I'm fortunate that I'm young and very very active...but this needs to be addressed as I get older and metabolism slows.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Or just rock climb several hours a day until well into your eighties. :wink:
  13. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    For what it's worth, I don't buy the "slowed metabolism" thing anyway. I find it more that we just aren't as active during the day as we age.
  14. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    one more update- i've definitely watched my portion sizings. have yet to eat a full pizza and been fairly good all around. i'm really thankful for some of the posts in this thread- they've helped me with regards to changing my mentality on my diet. i can think about diet in a 2-3 day span instead of just day to day. for instance, i ate pretty awfully on saturday night (probably 2/3rds of a huge pizza). the day after i only ate a few remaining slices though and called it good for the entire day (the old me would have probably pushed through and eaten the rest of it the first day- i used to laugh at people who took boxes home from restaurants).

i've definitely seen results though in my overall body composition. not that actual weight matters, but i AM down a few lbs from my normal weight (182.5 tonight as opposed to probably 186-187..could just be water weight though, so w/e). body fat % is definitely down though...thanks again to those who posted in this thread.
  15. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    5 ish lb can certainly be water/other weight fluctuations.. However, in my experience, 5 lb is indicitative of some other change as well.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Sounds like you're on the right track!
  17. vbmatt

vbmatt VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    Good job! 35 wings is pretty easy to consume, especially after a few pitchers of beer!

Calories add up easily and it's not that hard to go out to dinner somewhere and start approaching the 2000 calorie mark in one sitting...
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Good job oI2ange
  19. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    If I ate 35 wings in 1 sitting, i would have crapped my drawls before finishing
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,889
    Good job, I know it's not always easy. If you commit to it though, it gets easier and part of your lifestyle quicker than you even realize.