ACLs from several perspectives

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Coach1987, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Coach1987

Coach1987 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    Torn mine playing baksetball with some of my players years ago. Hurt like hell when it happened, and have had kids tear it when they feel little if any pain.

Think that back in the day, many more had them, did not know what the heck an ACL was as called it a trick knee.

My tailback on my first state championship tore his the spring before his senior year. He went into be scoped, the Doctor came out, told us, and the mom said, don't fix it. He played his senior year on our 14-0 team at corner, then four years at Southern Miss on a torn ACL. I would not let him run the ball his senior year.

Why so many ACLs, because it takes so little for it to happen. Seems like more are non contact that with contact. Last year in our Tennessee game they lost their best receiver and you could tell by the way he fell. Kids are so strong and so big compared to past years, I don't think the ligaments can keep pace.

I remember way back when, when a guy led the city when he benched 250. Now we would call that guy a wide out.

If DE has one, this is so sad. Lose Dubose, the JD and now this. Wow.
  2. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Back during my high school years, in the dark ages, the coaches would not let you lift weights. Made you muscle bound and injury prone.

I knew only one kid a few years behind me who did anyway. Richard Skelly, great running back in high school, and at UF, when he was healthy. His career with NY Giants was cut short due to injury.

I am sure the coaches said, I told you so.

I think they, and you, are on target generally speaking; maybe not the way they thought. Players are so strong, and so bulked up that collisions are much more violent. Equipment also contributes. Some parts of the body just cannot keep up.

With linemen, it seems to be asking a lot for knees, etc. to just carry the weight; 300 lbs plus on average. Seems like a break down looking for a place to happen.

I feel so bad for Easley. This is bad enough in the short run, I hope that it does not
    cost him long term.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    As I recall, ex-Gator Jack Youngblood sort of broke the mold on that one.
  4. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    They also told Jack not to eat offensive linemen, but did he listen? :no:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Things sure have changed.....when I played H/S ball back in the late 70's early 80's....you were not allowed to drink water during practice....Cant imagine that now.And I played ball here in Pensacola where it got very hot...esp. during 2 a days in Aug.Phil Bromley(gator great) was on my Woodham H/S team.
  6. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    also think of the evolution of sports supplements to assist in maintaining intense workouts and muscle building
  7. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +424
    I read one time that although people that strength train gain muscle size and strength, their ligaments and tendons don't get any stronger. Since I'm not in the medical field, I don't know if this is accurate or not. Perhaps there is an MD on here that could address this.
  8. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,041
    BOTH LEGS......a year apart....yikes!!!

My little girl...."Billabong". She's fine now a year removed from the last surgery....woof!

[​IMG]
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I mentioned in another thread that I tore all my right knee ligaments except the PCL. I didn't have any pain.

I'm not a medical expert and I won't pretend to be one, but I tend to believe that the weight training these kids do may be a BIG part of the problem, especially trying to max out weight. I believe the weight training puts a lot of stress on the joints and ligaments.

I can tell you this for a fact. Having gone through the surgery over 30 years ago, I still have knee pain and issues and the thing that I feel the most pain around the ligament area is when I do something like squatting down or walking down a hill where there is a lot of stress on the knee joint. Walking up a hill is no problem.

I tend to believe that exercises athletes do in training, like squats with a lot of weight and running stadium steps, especially running down the steps, may strain and weaken the ligaments to the point they tear easily.
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    I was Mr. Flexible. I never tore anything and I was the least muscular player in high school football history:) I got gang-tackled by a combined 1,050 lbs of linemen and at 108 lbs came away with a wicked Charlie horse. Maybe something to the muscles vs ligaments. Too much emphasis on one without the other.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,393

Bazza - Did this happen "rolling over"? You see where all that barrel rolling got Easley!
  12. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Billabong looks like she wants to chase down a few cows.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,041
  14. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Youngblood was about 10 or 12 years behind Skelly. I don't know if the attitude among coaches had changed much by then or not. Certainly, JY was ripped, but some of that might have been "farm boy" strong; he was a 4H member in HS. He started at 195 lbs at UF and finished at 245 (through weight training?).

Not drinking water was another matter of conventional wisdom in the dark ages. But, we did take salt tablets after practice, which was nearly guaranteed to give you a stomach ache.
  15. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,041
    Or anything that moves..her and her big sister....lol. :dog:
  16. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    It really is a violent game. I played up until 11th grade. Went up against a huge o-lineman in Oklahoma drill and my back told me no more. I listened, and I'm glad I did.

I do admire those who play though. They really sacrifice their bodies, so that we can have something to watch on the weekends.
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,393
  18. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Many (perhaps most) ACL tears occur with no contact. It's a plant-and-twist or plant-and-stop type of injury. I'm not sure why we've seen the increase in the number of football players with ACL injuries, and have heard of no plausible explaination from the medical experts.

I do know that female athletes are more prone to ACL injuries than men, so I don't think that intense weight training or bulked-up body types are likely to be the reason. I know the ladies are also lifting weights now, but not like the guys.
  19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    Extremely lean muscle and no emphasis on ligaments. Put these players on a joint supplement to strength ligaments.
  20. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Do joint supplements really strengthen ligaments, though?