According to BMI standards...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by rburnett, Jun 6, 2012.

1. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    I started doing a 4 days a week 5:45AM Bootcamp with my wife in November.. We've been going for 4 weeks on, 1 week off since then. I've lost 3 belt notches and about 20 lbs. According to BMI calculators, I am still "overweight" with a BMI of 27.5

I feel like I've made a lot of progress, but according to BMI, I would need to be less than 25 to be "normal", which for my height is 174 lbs...

I can't even fathom losing another 20 lbs. I realize BMI is just a general guideline, but I feel like it's going to be impossible to get to normal... or is this just like the thread "Are you fatter than you think?"
  2. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +501
    Most of our skill position football players are probably "overweight" based on their BMIs
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,816
    I'm 6'2" 195. Just barely 'normal'. Which I'd agree with. I could stand to lose 5-10lbs from the ol' belly. Yet a 6'2" 195 OLB is undersized.

However, I could drop to 145 lbs and still be 'normal'. If weighed 145 pounds I'd be skin and bones. I always thought the BMI calculator was flawed and too generic.
  4. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    BMI is a very poor indicator for those who work out. It's good for probably like the 80% of the population who doesn't work out at all (maybe even more), but doesn't take into account muscle. It says I'm overweight as well, and I can assure you that I'm very far from it.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    My BMI says I should be 174.2 pounds and while I could get there by losing 5 pounds give or take I see no reason to when my bodyfat % is around 12. And I actually have told doctors and nurses this.

For anyone who has just slightly more musculature than average the BMI numbers can be thrown out.

Granted if I did get within my normal BMI and not lose any muscle I would be freaking shredded.
  6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    I wouldn't worry about it. My BMI says I'm underweight but I doubt that I could deadlift nearly double my bodyweight if I didn't have some functional tissue.

For you, I'm guessing you've already lost 5-10% of your bodyweight, in many cases, all you need to lose to enjoy most of your health improvements. Beyond that it's largely aesthetic.
  7. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Yeah, I'm 29 years old and still pretty muscular. I am sticking with the bootcamp and curbing the over-eating.. at least through this summer. I can probably lose 5-10 more, but 20 seems insane. I've been stuck at ~190 for 2 weeks now though.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    How tall are you ? What's the lightest you've ever been as an adult ? Are you presently happy with your appearance ?
  9. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    If you need a number to benchmark to, try the Ponderal Index in addition to BMI.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponderal_Index

Here is an article mentioning how it used to relating to sprinters using the Reciprocal Ponderal Index, which is similar to the Ponderal Index.

"Professor Neville, whose research is due to be published in the Journal of Sports Sciences, examined the body composition and sprint times for the top 10 men and women in 100 metre sprinting over the past ten decades.

Athletes with a leanness ratio, known as a reciprocal ponderal index, of greater than 44 seemed to be the most successful."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...e-for-sprinting-success-researchers-find.html
  10. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    its ok to be "overweight" IMO, when your body fat % is like 6-8% like our players...sans OL/DL where its required...

I think I'm overweight at 180lbs/13% BF based on the BMI...i think the ideal weight it gives me is around 167....so as long as im close, im fine with it. I'd rather knock the BF into the single digits though...
  11. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    5'10... senior year of hs I wrestled @ 145 after cutting like crazy. I would say normal weight then was 160. I have added a lot of muscle since then. If I can get to 180-185 I'll be pretty ripped. I've pretty much plateaued at 192 right now. Tough with summer drinking going on.

I'm happy with my appearance, but of course it would be nice to drop another 5 and get the 6 pack. Also, what's the secret to add more girth to the dong? JK

The real reason I am asking about BMI is we have a biggest loser contest @ work and BMI is how we're measuring ourselves.. kinda sucks for me because I already lost my 20 and really have to work hard to lose more.. freaking diminishing returns.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    Dong enhancement is beyond my purview. At very least, your request would fall under the category of the woman who asked me if I could make her blue-eyed and Italian. My response: not at my current prices.

That said, you may be able to eke out a little more recomposition by privileging strength, in your workouts, moreso than the bootcamp stuff you're currently doing. For my money, nothing beats strength training, augmented with walking, for looking good nekkid.
  13. rock8591

rock8591 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    It is true that steroids reduce the size of your parts, in my experience. My doctor actually prescribed me roids, because mine were growing to be too big.
  14. rburnett

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Weighed in at 181 today, so I might make BMI "normal" weight after all...

I was screwing around with the BMI calculator.. the bottom range of normal weight for my height is like 135 pounds.. that's crazy.
  15. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Went to Destin for a Bachelor party weekend...oh lawd. 178ish on friday....193 on Monday, lol.

182 this morning again. feelsgoodman.

i think my ideal BMI is/was high 160's, like 167 or something...Im cool with staying above that, lol.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    WTF ? 15 pounds over the weekend ?!?!

Actually, I've heard worse.
  17. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    LOL...yeah. Its a little exaggerated, Thursday being a fasting day, weigh in on dehydration after sleep Friday morning.....BBQ and beer Friday, beer and hooters Saturday, and more fast food Sunday while being lazy/recovering....no exercise til last night, lol.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    I expect to see you at 155 by Friday. Now, drop and give me fifty, mister!
  19. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I might, lol.

[​IMG]
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Where did you buy the ephedrine?